What do you do when the law is involved?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Scorpion Regent

Reaction score
Life on the road has it's own problems.  Because we aren't property owners or registered voters in the places we stay in or pass through we are often treated as outsiders.  When things go bad LEO's can't always be counted on to be fair or reasonable.  Do any of you have lawyers on retainer to protect your rights or have contacts so that if something does go wrong?

Having moved from California to Mississippi and being preyed upon by the local police constantly stopping me and using any possible tactic to part me from my money, I found that local jurisdiction is important. Despite movies such as "My Cousin Vinny" I believe a lawyer needs to be registered to practice law in the specific state the problem occurs in to be of any help. In small towns in rural areas the police, lawyers, prosecuting attorneys, and judges all know each other and do not appreciate outsiders getting involved in their business no matter how exploitive law enforcement becomes.

Getting a local Drivers License and vehicle registration helped a lot, but I also cut down on driving at night to avoid becoming a target. In some places, Mississippi in particular, being an outsider is hard to overcome.

Also, fancy neighborhoods tend to be excluding. I was waiting to pick up my daughter at her friend's house and was interrogated by a local cop. He wanted to know who I was and why I was in the area. He did not believe I was just a mom/chauffeur and kept asking why I was really there. Eventually my kid came out and wanted to know what the problem was...I wonder what the outcome would have been otherwise?

No lawyers on retainer or anything like that.
IF anything goes down we would just handle it as it needs to be handled locally.
I just can't worry about the what ifs in life to a certain extent, just me ya know....when crap goes down it gets handled best it can in whatever situation for me :)

Out of state plates make us all a target anyway so if in a tourist town it's probably less of an issue. In a residential area then some law enforcement may get curious. Possibly harass if the area has had problems or someone called them.

I have a couple cards in my wallet for attorneys that specialize in anything gun related in their state. Three so far. You can pick them up at gun shows in the state your in. A phone call to any one of these would get me a referal to competent local representation in most states for gun or any other needs. I know this because I've asked.

I do visit relatives or old friends across the US for days or weeks at a time. Been given the hard-look or slow drive-by from local sheriff and police on occasion. Usually when getting into or out of my vehicle. I like to smile and wave and go about my business. Have on occasion flagged one down to ask directions or where I might park for the night. Even though I may not need their help. A couple times they asked for my drivers license and I didn't hesitate.

My take is if I willingly show that I have nothing to hide they leave me alone. This has worked well for me over these may years.
This does not mean I will allow anyone to search my vehicle, but that's another topic for another thread.

Scorpion Regent said:
Life on the road has it's own problems.  Because we aren't property owners or registered voters in the places we stay in or pass through we are often treated as outsiders.  When things go bad LEO's can't always be counted on to be fair or reasonable.  Do any of you have lawyers on retainer to protect your rights or have contacts so that if something does go wrong?

I have a lawyer to call if need be but i would definitely want to use a local lawyer who knows the local courts and judges. Just makes things easier. 
That said i also try to read up on the local laws before i go, this way i am aware of possible issues and what to say when they come up. Many times its your knowledge of law and your level of compliance that dictates a LEO outcome.

The problem with the police is you can’t tell the good ones from the bad ones. It here is what I do, although I’ve only been stopped twice in ten years.

1) Although you are not required to do so, don’t start your interaction off on the wrong foot. When asked to identify yourself, produce your DL, registration and POI.

2) Only open you window far enough to talk to the officer. Don’t let them stick their head into your vehicle, especially if you are a “smoker.”

3) Make sure you have a quick answer for where you are going. Like, “to Cleveland to visit my sister.” Always have a destination no matter how far away it is.

4) Give short concise answers. Don’t be gabby.

5) DO NOT LET THE OFFICER SEARCH YOUR VEHICLE UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES! Even if you have nothing to hide. Make them get a warrant.

6) Ask why you are being stopped. If the officer has no valid reason, say “then I am not being detained and am free to go.”

7) The police must have a reason for stopping you.

8) There are many Utube videos abt traffic stops. Some are done by folks who are real jerks. Look at several to learn how to behave and what are your legal rights and protections under the law. Don’t let the officer take away your rights because you are ignorant and don’t know what they are.

This is a deep and complex subject you need to learn.

Just my opinions . . .

Thanks Speed.  Your opinions have a lot of merit.  I pretty much knew everything you said, but you didn't know that and they are plenty out there that don't.  So thank you for sharing because we all need to be driving smart.
I have noticed there is a tendency for the police to ask potentially incriminating questions. 'Do you know why I pulled you over?'  'Do you know how fast you were going?'  I get that they are looking for admission of guilt.  I also get that they are looking to catch you in a lie, because a lie makes you look suspicious and that can be used against you.  An attorney once told me never lie to the police, because once you are known to lie to the police then that can used to destroy your credibility in court.  It's important not to make things worse.  Just because you know your rights, doesn't mean you have to be "that guy" who screams it in a cops face, particularly as a opening move.  Being polite helps, until it doesn't.  If it's obvious that the officer has it in their head that you are guilty, don't bother arguing, that's what court is for.  A police stop is the perfect time to put on your poker face.  Relax, take off any sun glasses and look the officer right in the eye.  If you want the officer to empathize with you establishing eye contact is your best chance to form of connection.   Looking away makes them think you have something to hide.  If your stereo is playing, turn it off, you don't want the officer to think he has less than your full attention.  
One thing I can't emphasize enough, LEO's arrest criminals, so if at all humanly possible don't do crime.
I always try to master the Jedi mind trick, there is nothing to see here so I can move along.

Still I would love to have a legal resource if for some reason a cop thinks I belong in the crossbar hotel.

Yet another expense to add to your overloaded budget: Legal Insurance! And a way to rope clients into paying for legal services they may not need.

https://www.benzinga.com/money/legal-insurance/

If you are a member of a group for example your gun club, you may be able to get a service like LegalShield at a reduced rate.
-crofter

Unfortunately many here travel which makes learning the laws of each state difficult and many overlap but knowing the law helps.

My son and his girlfriend were moving. They had a couple friends helping. My son and his girlfriend were riding in the back of the truck. Now I knew for a fact that it's legal to ride in the back if the front is full. It was.

I was suppose to meet them and help unload. My son calls me and tells me they were pulled over. It was just up the street. He told me why. I arrived and I already had the law pulled up on my phone. They had the drivers and passengers D.L. but my son and his girlfriend were trying to explain why they did not have I.D.

I politely asked why they were being stopped. The cop even told me it was because of people riding in the back of the truck. I said to my son, "were you and her sitting down"? He said they were. I told the officer that they were doing nothing illegal and showed them where it was legal what they were doing so give the people their D.L. back and leave them alone.

The cop says "well we just wanted to make sure they were being safe". I said "you don't need their D.L. to tell them to be safe". They gave them back and left.

This is exactly the type of example you must learn to protect yourself from. This officer had stepped over the line; and he will try to do it again on his very next traffic stop.

speedhighway46 said:
7) The police must have a reason for stopping you...
I don't think this one gets practiced much. You can have working equipment and still get stopped for defective equipment. Happens all the time here, car pulled over doing the taillight check. Whether the driver is ticketed or not, they were stopped and their DL ran through the computer.

Border patrol same way, though screened by a dog once they have you stopped. You can expect to be stopped by border patrol anywhere within 100 miles of a border or coastal area.
-crofter

When I get pulled over and the cop starts asking me questions I just tell him I don't answer questions. You don't have to be under arrest to exercise your fifth amendment right. When a cop pulls you over it's for a traffic infraction which is a civil matter but he starts asking questions, looking around inside your vehicle, smelling the air if it has alcohol or pot aroma then it becomes a criminal investigation and no reason to answer any questions to help them screw yourself. If you get pulled over give him your license registration proof of insurance through your slightly cracked window and your doors locked and answer no questions, this includes DUI checkpoints and immigration checkpoints. They can only search your vehicle if you give them permission or they have a warrant.

One thing I have learned in my travels;
When dealing with cops try to provide them an out that isn't writing a ticket.
I like to call it the 'these are not the droids you seek' tactic.
I'm as honest as possible, because once you start lying you have to start keeping track of lies. Truth is easier to keep track of.
I tell them 'I'm just passing through, on my way to X'.
Or
'I was just getting ready to leave' if they roll up on me at a rest stop.
If they catch me with a bunch of my stuff outside of the vehicle I'll explain I was just restacking the contents of my van because they shifted. Then I get a lecture about securing loads etc.
Always use a lot of sirs, mams and yes officer. I've never met a cop who didn't want their uniform respected.
Also be aware that some states like Mississippi are speed traps. They will snag you for anything they can.
I also have to admit that I redneck it up a bit, and dress more conservative when I am in the south. It's not even a conscious thing. I'm from the south and have friends from Arkansas and Louisiana. When I hear southern I talk southern. But I also stop wearing overt punk rock or heavy metal shirts.

Ripper238 said:
Definitely a must see video for everyone.

[video=youtube]

True story, even the cop on there reccomends it. However local lore says if you take the 5th you are guilty, not innocent like the people on the tape.

Also if you are in a gang area, giving information puts you on the gang's list if you were not already on there. Can't win either way.
-crofter

speedhighway46 said:
This is exactly the type of example you must learn to protect yourself from. This officer had stepped over the line; and he will try to do it again on his very next traffic stop.
Nother bad one. Article says they will never know how many victims, the coward. Link to article.
-crofter
BBC News - French ex-officer's DNA ends 35-year murder hunt

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-58749596