What do all think of 2014 Ford high top Transit coming out?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A Sprinter-like configuration with a gasoline engine option is a good thing in my book. The Transit has been running around Europe for a long time.<br><br>Meanwhile, Ram (formerly Dodge trucks) will be bringing in Fiat's van. (Another van with lots of European use.) It will be front-wheel drive (lower step-in height) with a gas engine option.<br><br>http://www.ramtrucks.com/en/2014/reveals/ram_promaster/<br><br>I suppose there's some regulation(s) about how wide these vans can be, but I wish they'd do one wide enough to put a full-size bed crosswise, even with insulation.

It is rumored that Ford is stopping production of the Econline Van and replacing it with the Transit in 2 years.<br><br>James AKA Lynx

I suppose change-resistant customers and chassis cab/cutaway upfitters would want to be able to get old-school E-vans for a while. The thing is, Ford is shutting down the plant that makes them and which used to also make Crown Vics and Town Cars.

I'm not particularly fond of vans with sliding doors. Call me a Luddite. ;-)

I wonder if there's a barn door option for these?

I wonder who makes the diesel motor International?? Navistar? Cummins? Mercedes?

The&nbsp;<span style="color: #111111; font-family: arial; font-size: 12px; line-height: 20.0625px;">3.2L Power Stroke engine is designed and built by Ford. It's an adaptation of the European market Duratorq engine that has been around for years.</span>

I like the flat roof that can accomodate solar panels, and the middle height roof, which, for me, still allows stand-up room inside.

&nbsp;Ask me in 20 years, when I can afford one. ..Willy.

this van has been around since the mid nineties here in NZ. They use them for ambulances, campers&nbsp;and tradesmans trucks, they also come in a flat bed, some with very high mileage.&nbsp;I read about them as they interested me and seems like good&nbsp;reviews about the earlier ones pre 2001 then they changed something and people didn;t talk so highly of them. However my first hand experience with a good friend that has a 2008 version with a large camper box on it which is wider then the front cab and a sleeper above, big enough for a full bath and seperate all time bed at the back, also with dining table that makes a double bed so total sleeps six. It is a desiel and he gets 26 mpg which is pretty good for the size of it, and really likes it. I test drove an old ambulance and was thinking of converting it,&nbsp; it&nbsp;was&nbsp;ok, &nbsp;it was a little gutless, and seemed a bit heavy to drive if that makes sense. I wasn't awed, my wife didn;t like the idea of an old ambulance. I think that was about a 2000 model. Some other people I know have one the mid&nbsp;roof and use it as a camper but I can't walk in it so I would go for the highest top if I was getting one. I expect they won't be cheap the new ones.

I want to&nbsp;trade&nbsp;my Sprinter next year. Been looking at the Transit and Nissan's version. It will be hard to beat the 260k&nbsp;I have on the Sprinter with very little up-keep expense but I really like the looks of the Transit. I think it will be easier to be stealth than it is with the Sprinter.<br><br>VanGirl

Kurbmaster, how tall are you? I like the &nbsp;look and increased stealth of the mid roof. I'm 5'8" with shoes on and wonder if I could fit in it. The tall ones like the Nissan look&nbsp;a &nbsp;bit dorky and stand out too much.

I agree the mid one looks the best, I think it looks better then the short one too. Unfortunatly I don't think you would be able to stand in it. I am 5'9". I am not sure of the height of the mid but I reckon around 66 inches. I have seen the mid size&nbsp;with pop tops which&nbsp;is a nice feature and can be installed as an aftermarket option that you might consider if you are set on the mid one. The high ones&nbsp;may not seem as stealth but they are used here as delivery vans, snap on tools, DHL, plumbers, builders&nbsp;so once they start selling you might see them&nbsp;a lot more on the&nbsp;side&nbsp;of the road in neighborhoods, industrial parks etc. It might take a few years. &nbsp;

Thanks for your insight. The pop top add-ons sound interesting. Any idea where I can get info and pics on the pop tops?

After I posted I googled and did see the pop tops. Kinda looks like the Sportsmobile. Not too appealing. Wish they didn't make those pop up so high.

<SPAN style="COLOR: #888888"><EM>Yeh, Ford Transits been around for donkeys years in Oz. My first motorhome was a 1970 Ford Transit C class. Had a Falcon 250 straight six pack with a under geared 4 speed tranny. Base vehicle was a cab chassis homebuilt body.</EM></SPAN><BR><SPAN style="COLOR: #888888"><EM>The new tranny (Oz name) looks good , got a good Ford turbo diesel looks like it grinning at you though.</EM></SPAN><BR><SPAN style="COLOR: #888888"><EM>Winnebagos' been selling them here (2003-2010) for awhile until they swapped over to an even more reliable/economical Fiat Ducato cab chassis.</EM></SPAN><BR><SPAN style="COLOR: #888888"><EM>Geoff</EM></SPAN>

To most Americans, FIAT still means Fix It Again Tony. The cars they sent us in the '60s and '70s&nbsp;were awful. So it's hard to wrap our heads around the idea of reliable Fiats. Yes, things have changed in the past few decades, but we're still skeptical. They can give the Ducato a different grill and call it the ProMaster, but it will need to prove itself all over again for US buyers.

Looks like it would get high centered on a speed bump (srs).

I have expressed my feelings about this on a forum before but i don't think this one. It was something along the lines of how stupid it would be to replace what is still the best selling van in america(e series) with something that will likley sell no better then the transit connect. And ford should sell the E and T series side by side , i know a bunch of people who said they will be switching to other brands if they replace discontinue the E for the transit. Of course most car manufacturers don't really care about the consumer and the transit probably makes more money for them so....
I know the transit is a good van but in general americans don't like change.... or smaller engines.

Latest posts