What are your Bucket List destinations?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I don't need a list. I just wrote down all of yours, just kidding. some great picks on this thread. my picks are more of a fleeting type. a beautiful sunset or sunrise anywhere, a desert snow storm, far off lightning were you can see the bolts, fishing at the base of a waterfall, watching osprey fish, watching bears fish. I could go on and on. highdesertranger

Well said HDR! I do have a list though:
- Alaska!
- New England in October
- Big Bend NP in Texas
- Padre
- Moab area

My list would include a few places not reachable by van:
- Ride the Trans Am trail on a motorcycle
- The 3000-mile Intracoastal waterway on a home-built raft
- Isle Royale NP

The best museum in DC is definitely the air and space one, be sure to check it out!

I love this thread, thx for posting. I really want to visit gettysburg and mt rushmore. I want to do the mule thing at the grand canyon :)

I'd like to go back and visit some places I saw while in the USN.
Kingston, Jamaica mon!
The US Virgin Islands.
The Bahamas.
Bermuda.
The Maldives (if I could remember the name of the specific resort island we were at....)

Also want to visit Australia, Scotland and Ireland. I have family in all three. If my several times great Grandfathers in 1740 weren't so fleet of foot in getting to America, I likely would have been an Aussie - England sent a lot of Revells there to the penal colony! :)

^^^ lol^^^ speaking of descendants maybe a trip to Salt Lake City. I hear they have the largest ancestry data bank in the country.

Loving the lists, can you tell I'm a Virgo? Gonna be crossing a big one off my list next year in June. North to Alaska! Can't wait for the next year.

Mostly looking to doing the Pacific Northwest. Washington, Oregon, et al

Scooterdog: for your Alaska trip, make sure you hit the visitor center at the start of the Alaska Highway and get an updated list of fuel stops by mile marker. Helps plan when you should stop for gas.

Bucket list destination-walking the Mackinac Bridge in Michigan is happening on Labor Day. Anyone have any tips on this event or personal experience. I have waited 40+ years to do this and will appreciate any comments. :) Jan

concretebox said:
<bl>
<li>Oregon: Crater Lake, Portland, Out and About Treehouse Treesort.
</li><li>Arizona: The Grand Canyon.
</li><li>New Mexico: Albuquerque and Breaking Bad filming Locations.
</li><li>Vancouver, Canada: StarGate and BattleStar filming locations.
</li><li>Seattle: The Sci-fi Museum, the Space Needle.
</li><li>Los Angeles Area: Griffin Observatory, Vasquez Rocks, Walk-of-Fame, In-n-Out Burger.
</li><li>Nevada: Goodsprings and other Fallout New Vegas locations.
</li><li>New York: Manhattan, the Empire State Building, Central Park, the bar "Mclarens" from HIMYM is based on.
</li><li>Washington DC: all the monuments, Smithsonian, The White House.
</li><li>Alaska: Gates of the Arctic National Park, McCandless' Bus.
</li><li>Louisiana: The "Gator Swamps," New Orleans and Bourbon Street.
</li><li>Wyoming: Glacier National Park, Yellowstone.
</li></bl>

Other things I'd like to see but I need specifics:
<bl><li>"The Desert," specifically the long empty two line road with nothing around it that I've seen in countless movies.
</li><li>"The Pacific Northwest," mountains with lots of trees seen in the video game Alan Wake and TV series like The X files and Twin Peaks.
</li></bl>

Sorry to copy so much quote for a reply, but I had comments on a few specific things on this list, and I had to have it in front of me to read.
1. Tourism offices in most states can give you a list of movie locations. New Mexico magazine has also had special issues a couple of times on film locations in the state.
2. St. George, UT, has an In-and-Out Burger. (often very long lines as usual). St. George is a great "little" city and on the route to much of what you want to see.
3. Glacier National Park should be on everyone's list in my opinion. But please be advised it is in Montana (right up against Canada) and not in Wyoming. LOL (I'm sure that was an oversight in typing your list.)
4. Nevada's State Route 375 may be the desert road you seek. It is known as the "Extraterrestrial Highway" and even is shown as such on most maps and with state highway signs. It is a lonely road and you will have to come to a stop at least once for cows wandering on it (free range, no fences). OR.. you may mean Nevada's route 50 -- dubbed years ago by Life Magazine as the "loneliest road in America."

highdesertranger said:
I don't need a list.  I just wrote down all of yours,  just kidding.  some great picks on this thread.  my picks are more of a fleeting type.  a beautiful sunset or sunrise anywhere,  a desert snow storm,  far off lightning were you can see the bolts,  fishing at the base of a waterfall,  watching osprey fish,  watching bears fish.  I could go on and on.  highdesertranger

My goodness.. I'm impressed. The ultimate gear/mechanics guy waxes poetic!

Yeah, poking a little fun at you HDR, but also seriously complimenting you on your softer side. Very well said. We should all remember to appreciate those things wherever we are when they happen.

Any Railfans I would like to see some of the big rail yards and camp near a busy railway in the desert. Not sure that exist.

Gambler said:
Any Railfans I would like to see some of the big rail yards and camp near a busy railway in the desert. Not sure that exist.

My guess is that if you visit any of the more than 300 Railroad Museums on this directory, the people running it could tell you about any such local places.

http://www.railmuseums.com/namerica/

Regards
John