What are your Bucket List destinations?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

concretebox

Reaction score
I'm putting together my "bucket list" of destinations. I'd like to travel the world, but for now I'm focusing on destinations in the U.S. and Canada.

Here's what I've got so far:
<bl>
<li>Oregon: Crater Lake, Portland, Out and About Treehouse Treesort.
</li><li>Arizona: The Grand Canyon.
</li><li>New Mexico: Albuquerque and Breaking Bad filming Locations.
</li><li>Vancouver, Canada: StarGate and BattleStar filming locations.
</li><li>Seattle: The Sci-fi Museum, the Space Needle.
</li><li>Los Angeles Area: Griffin Observatory, Vasquez Rocks, Walk-of-Fame, In-n-Out Burger.
</li><li>Nevada: Goodsprings and other Fallout New Vegas locations.
</li><li>New York: Manhattan, the Empire State Building, Central Park, the bar "Mclarens" from HIMYM is based on.
</li><li>Washington DC: all the monuments, Smithsonian, The White House.
</li><li>Alaska: Gates of the Arctic National Park, McCandless' Bus.
</li><li>Louisiana: The "Gator Swamps," New Orleans and Bourbon Street.
</li><li>Wyoming: Glacier National Park, Yellowstone.
</li></bl>

Other things I'd like to see but I need specifics:
<bl><li>"The Desert," specifically the long empty two line road with nothing around it that I've seen in countless movies.
</li><li>"The Pacific Northwest," mountains with lots of trees seen in the video game Alan Wake and TV series like The X files and Twin Peaks.
</li></bl>

I don't really have one of my own but here are a couple of additions I'd add to your list:

Goblin Valley in Utah - where they filmed one of the alien scenes in Galaxy Quest and other movies
When you're in Seattle go see the bridge troll

Adding to yours don't miss Padre Island National Seashore in Texas

An Alasakan road trip, following the flower bloom from AZ to Colorado and a winter on the Baja, in Mexico is all that's left on my bucket list.

Then I want to do it all over again it's been almost 30 years since I've seen the PNW, the Dakotas, Yellowstone, and the rest of the NW Territory.

I'm not writing up a bucket list cause I just want to see it all!!

I figure the things I've thought of so far should take me until I'm at least a 125.

And that's before I look at all the pretty pictures people post of places they are and I get to adding more to the list.

I love this thread. I want to see everything too. Please add places that we can't miss on our journey's.

The upside down "U" through Utah is spectacular. Definitely worth the ride start at Zion NP and go through Bryce, Capitol reef, arches, bridges, Kodachrome basin, canyonlands then either blast down to Grand Canyon, or up to dinosaur. Lake Powell is very cool too. Lots to see in a relatively short distance.

The 5 National Parks and in Utah and the Grand Canyon are called the "Grand Circle." If I was able, I'd do it every year for the rest of my life!

Bob

Craters of the Moon National Monument in Idaho.

Death Valley and the Giant Sequoias in California.

Bonneville Salt Flats in Utah during Speed Weeks.

Hawaii.

Internationally, I'd love to go to Italy and see Pompei.

akrvbob said:
The 5 National Parks and in Utah and the Grand Canyon are called the "Grand Circle." If I was able, I'd do it every year for the rest of my life!

Bob
Grand circle sounds much better then upside down U! It really is an amazing area of the country and there is so much there within driving distance. I have done the grand circle twice already and will most certainly do it again. Just going through Zion's tunnel is awesome

Dry Tortugas Natl. Park, 70 miles off the coast of Key West. Been there many times but never got to camp... yet.

Queen said:
Dry Tortugas Natl. Park, 70 miles off the coast of Key West. Been there many times but never got to camp... yet.
Definitely want to get there one day. Very cool.

Grand Canyon

Renfro Valley, KY

Branson Missouri

Dollywood, TN

Andrew Johnson museum, TN

Mt. Rushmore, SD

Burning Man

Ronald Reagan birthplace museum

Punxsutawney, Pa

There's more but that's all I can think of off hand.

North Carolina - the outer banks wild ponies
Nevada - Valley of Fire - the awesome canyons
South Dakota - The Black Hills
California - Yosemite
Wyoming - Yellowstone

and I'd like to visit northern California again :)

Been all over the lower 48 states and a lot of other countries, I'd like to get to AK and HI still.

The Smithsonian Museum - especially the Air & Space part.
The Confederate Naval Museum in Georgia.
Mystic Seaport.
All the big Civil War Battlefields.
The Warbird Rework Facility in Kissimmee, Florida again.
Quartzite at least once before I pass on.
Maybe The Slabs too, just because.

I was wondering why In'N'Out in LA? They are a chain that has made it at least as far as Arizona and Nevada, and you can order "animal style" at any of them. (not on the menu)

If you want more regional burger try Tommy's (the one at Beverly and Rampart has a unique atmostphere). (Not Tammys, Tommies, Toms, etc.)

LeeRevell said:
The Smithsonian Museum - especially the Air & Space part.
When I living and working in Washington DC I used to go to the Air & Space museum several times a week. The first time I went in I couldn't help but notice they had a life size replica of the Wright brothers plane hanging from the ceiling. Upon closer inspection I discovered it wasn't a replica, it was the plane that they flew in 1903. I had no idea it still existed. One great thing about the air and space museum is, it's free!

I've been fortunate to do lots of exploring already, but here are some more on my ever-growing list:

NE in the Fall
Eastern seaboard states between Maine and Virginia
More of DC
Explore some National Parks by kayak (Everglades, Dry Tortugas, Channel Islands, Voyagers, etc.)
Interior of AK (National Parks, overnight dogsled, northern lights)
Ride mules into, and raft the Grand Canyon
Baja Peninsula
Research ancestry in SD, OK, Ireland and Germany