Webasto Air Top 2000 ST B

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Luisafernandes

Reaction score
A couple months ago a decided to invest in something different to heat my van. It wasn't cheap, and it's not for everyone, but after much research I decided to buy the Webasto Air Top 2000 ST B; the B stands for gasoline engines. 
I came across this very same unit in the early beginning of my van build, but decided not to buy it. The unit ran on diesel. Yes I thought of installing a small diesel tank under the van, but in the end decided against it. 
Now a couple years later I came to realize they also made those units for gas engines. I found a place 300 miles from where I stay that sells and installs them. 300 miles and $1600 dollars later I had my Webasto heating my van. 
$1600, I know, lots of money. That's why I said it's not for everyone. But I had the opportunity to get one and couldn't pass up the chance of having thermostatic controlled heat.

sooo,how do you like it? does it use fuel from the vans main tank?

The unit brings fresh air for the combustion from the outside, and the exhaust is obviously also expelled to the outside. The air for the living area is recirculated inside only. I didn't want it to come from the outside as it's much more economic to reheat the air inside than to heat frigid air.
Here's a view of the unit from the underside of the van before it was sealed and after I sealed it tight.
103e114029f1580d3d78184080e07dfe.jpg

ea35269bd2b7546d852e87f00632853b.jpg

And if you have good wifi here's the installation videos;

Here's the unit inside the van. Not much bigger than a loaf of bread;
ed7911b9efa7f39a362178a177490497.jpg

3ca49b7aa476c0a72978a7f0f3bda30a.jpg

5f36235dcf0d963bc9bb0aeed979c1c8.jpg

c3b04e7ef35cb36589386893dae57af4.jpg

And here's the unit covered. The hot air comes out on the right, and the intake is on the left.
a0b70197201ec29ef9942e2523f4eaf8.jpg

All I have to do is to turn the dial and...I have heat. I can keep the heat at 68, 70, 72, 74, or anywhere in between. Basically I just set it and forget it. No more getting up in the middle of the night to turn the heat on if I'm too cold, or to turn the heat off if I'm too hot.
Here's the control dial;
3664720c7e16f04321da91674224d299.jpg

I'm still working on some issues regarding having enough power to run the heater every night, especially living on the east coast with all the clouds, rain and snow.
I suppose living in less cloudy areas of the country would allow me to run the unit every night and still recharge the batteries during day. I'm working on it. Just need money and good weather.

so it is a gas heater, it looks nice, and takes up very little space. I wonder if the old VW gas heaters would work in a similar way only less money and not so nice if you could find one. Have you figured out how much it cost to run yet?

flying kurbmaster said:
so it is a gas heater, it looks nice, and takes up very little space. I wonder if the old VW gas heaters would work in a similar way only less money and not so nice if you could find one. Have you figured out how much it cost to run yet?

It's a gas heater that taps into the vans gas tank and uses about 1 gallon of fuel for every 22 hours or so. It depends on how cold it is and how hot the one wants to be. [emoji106]?[emoji1][emoji604]
So the cost is relative to how much you pay per gallon of gas.

Where did you purchase your [font=Verdana, Arial, sans-serif]Webasto Air Top 2000 ST B???[/font]

I think if you're going to be living in a van long term that is absolutely an excellent way to go. Better, safer, easier and more comfortable heat is always a good thing.

The old VW heaters had points and an igniter (spark plug with adjustable gap) that required maintenance. I left mine on while shopping once and got to explain to the fire department that it was just running a little rich and not really on fire.

Ditto here, we're using the Webasto Air Top 2000 (gasoline). We recently used it at -25C and kept us warm. It's nice not-to have to monitor the propane level (since it is tapped into the fuel tank).

It does consume electricity (about 1.3A-2.0A on average) so you still need a decent power bank. We have a 210AGM paired with 320W of solar.

Highly recommended if it's within your budget. Make sure to read the installation manual though; there are MANY requisites to follow to ensure proper function of the heater in the long run.

Here is our installation:
http://faroutride.com/air-heater-installation/

Just watch your fuel level don't get stranded. I really like the Propex HS2211 if you look at propane, also very efficient, gas and 12v, and can mount undercarriage.

All these have issues at high altitudes, research that aspect if relevant for you.

John61CT said:
Just watch your fuel level don't get stranded. I really like the Propex HS2211 if you look at propane, also very efficient, gas and 12v, and can mount undercarriage.

All these have issues at high altitudes, research that aspect if relevant for you.

There's no need to watch the fuel level as the Webasto fuel line doesn't go all the way to the bottom of the fuel tank, leaving enough fuel to reach a gas station. Within reason of course; it all depends how far one is from
The next available fuel. [emoji1303][emoji1][emoji604]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've seen Chinese knockoffs of these at half the price, anyone know someone's tried them?

John61CT said:
I've seen Chinese knockoffs of these at half the price, anyone know someone's tried them?

I've never heard of any Chinese knockoffs regarding a Webasto: do you really want to risk your life because you can save half the price? I wouldn't. [emoji1303][emoji604][emoji1]

Whats the coldest someone has been in with one of these heaters? How well did it do? I'm planning on full timing in Minnesota while using one of these heaters

The smallest unit will be fine in a smaller van with decent insulation.

But an uninsulated Sprinter will need the next up.

Obviously good insulation will pay for itself quickly up there.

They're designed for and mostly sold in upper latitudes, Arctic conditions.

Don't oversize, better for them to run a while each time rather than cycle too frequently.

Look at Espar as well, Propex for propane if. . .

Their tech support or a good dealer will help you size right, if in the middle go down rather than up.

Going camping up into any mountains in winter? Pay attention to the altitude issues.

MazdaGuy15 said:
Whats the coldest someone has been in with one of these heaters? How well did it do? I'm planning on full timing in Minnesota while using one of these heaters

I've never been in extreme temperatures but I assume that as long as the fuel doesn't freeze up it should be fine. [emoji1303][emoji604][emoji1]

The ones in old VWs were loud enough you new they were on even when driving. Sort of like a small jet engine, but most people sleep on planes right?