We bought a van.. Well kinda

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
heat gun to remove decals. heat them up and they come right off. if they leave any glue residue wd-40 should take it off. btw they make plastic razor blades to use on painted surfaces. highdesertranger

I have a heat gun. I will try that first and see if it works. These are not like bumper stickers. They are rock hard and over 40 years old. If that does not work i will try tge 3m wheel.
Thsnk you for the help friends. I'll keep you posted.

On a side note I forgot to mention, my 200w windy nation solar panels came. Exited:)

My apologies on my writing skills.. Spellcheecks don't help when my fingers need a diet and I am typing on a phone.. I never proof read.. I will do my best next time. Ugg

With the heat gun, put it on low and be very careful how long you linger in one spot.
Only use enough heat to soften the decal which should happen way before you begin to soften the paint......but........

Heat is an excellent way to remove cured paint from almost any surface, Auto Paint included.

Dave

Went to a junkyard today and picked up 2 more wall supports to install in the rear. I needed them because I'm 6'1 and want the bed side to side but I can't lay dide to side and stretch out my legs. My plan is to add a rear on each side?, cut the 2 forward ones at bed height and add channels between. That will gain 4 more inches after insulation. 

Plus i picked these seats out of a low mileage non smoker van. That is a good score for me today. Plus I got all the matching window curtains for material for something. 

comfy looking seats,do they swivel? what did you have to give for them?

Yes they both will swivel. I had already got a set of bases that have lap belt anchors. This van came with lap belts only. Will make them easy to turn around. Plus these also recline forward and back. With the bases, seats and several sets of drapes around 80 bucks.

thats not bad at all,i'm working on a 77' chevy and have the same seats so i will be doing the same in the future

Well after about 600 miles my carb is not allowing the van to run well on acceleration so its time to rebuild it. While I am waiting on a carb kit to get here i thought i would take it apart and clean it. Plus all this yellow anti rust stuff that was sprayed all over most of this van including the carb has got me wondering why they hit everything. So into the bath it goes. 

This is the cleanest carb I have taken apart. 
Anyone know if this redish part can be soaked in carb bath? I know rubber is a nono but not sure about this part. 

Also this is the first quadrajet that i have seen with these plastic caps on the air/fuel mixtures. I thought they all come with aluminum caps you have to pry or drill out to access them. Not the case with this carb and internet search comes up empty. I don't want to break them. 

The plastic adjustment limiter caps were a form of emission control, prevented "unauthorized" adjustments to the factory settings.

They aren't needed, break them and throw them away.

Dave

Great. Thank you for the fast response. Im going to go break m off and let this carb soak for a day or so.

Not sure why it was acting weird but its all kleen now. Just waiting on my gasket set.

as a side note, if anybody cares. notice the huge difference in the bore sizes. this is how a 4bbl carb can get better fuel economy then a 2bbl. if you can stay out of those huge secondary's you will get better fuel economy then a 2bbl. highdesertranger

Yay! Another Ambulance!

Love what you have done with it so far! There is nothing like a good project to take on, the end result is always better when you do it yourself. Keep up the awesome work!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk