The Van - do we call it a day.

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ballenxj said:
That's great! And probably the cheapest part to repair. Is it an extended van? I sure didn't expect your van to have a carrier bearing.
Happy Daze. :)
Hi Ballenzj- It really was great! Not an extended. 18'. He didnt call it a "carrier bearing". He called it a "bearing on the drive shaft" explaining (as best I can remember) that their are two pieces and there is usually a bearing with a rubber lining (?) and this was just locked up tight and not gonna budge. original to the van and it just said 'no more'."  Still smiling! judy

rvpopeye said:
All that worrying por nada !
Easy fix .
Gotta love when that happens..... :cool:

I heard you, rvpopeye, when you all said don't worry until we hear exactly what the issue is...And I did stop worrying! (I follow directions nicely it seems.)  Love it, love it, love it!  Thank you.
Judy

Glad that's all it was.
A cloudy day just turned sunny for you !

I believe some vehicles have grease fittings on those carrier (or center) bearings. Ask the mechanic if yours does and if so, that's one more maintenance item.

Happy trails...

slow2day said:
I believe some vehicles have grease fittings on those carrier (or center) bearings. Ask the mechanic if yours does and if so, that's one more maintenance item.

That's right, most carriers that I have seen have zerk fitting for greasing the bearing. I suspect this one has been neglected.

I would rather have a pre-1980 van. The important consideration is that it does not have much rust. Much easier to repair. Parts are usually cheaper and still available on USA brands. Any mechanic can make the repairs, and the easiest for owner repairs.

your van has done 40 years with rust protection and proper maintenance it will do another 40
and dont get so worked up over van problems,trust me,you will live

if you have anymore issues,you know where to find us,there are people here that can walk you through just about anything

Weight said:
I would rather have a pre-1980 van.

That can be true but if you live where the van has to pass emissions, it can be tough getting an older van with a carb to pass. It can be tough to find mechanics on the road that know how to work on carbs. Also, if you want to be 'green', older non-fuel injected,non-computer vehicles pollute the air way more than modern vehicles. I think it's a joke anyway to claim you're being 'green' by travelling all over the country in a fossil-fueled vehicle...

Hey I was close.

living in a van isnt "green" but its leagues beyond the typical

Yes, only about 4' away from the problem.

I'll take atypical any day!

I bet keeping the old girl running is greener than junking it and buying a new, fuel-efficient car.

It'd be a lot roomier,too. Apples to oranges. There's such a wide spectrum in people's needs and uses they have for a vehicle, plus the dozens of factors involved with determining if one is greener than the other in the long run. In the end it matters not,really.

Another thought, if your carrier bearing (old school name for split drive shaft bearing) was going bad for a while, that cannot have been good for your fuel economy. Think of it as having your e brake partially engaged. I wouldn't be surprised if your fuel economy picks up by a couple mpg. The van might feel a bit peppier too.

slow2day said:

Happy trails...

Will do. thanks again. Judy

Gary68 said:
your van has done 40 years with rust protection and proper maintenance it will do another 40
and dont get so worked up over van problems,trust me,you will live

if you have anymore issues,you know where to find us,there are people here that can walk you through just about anything

Gary68, I can't tell you what it meant to have the years of experience and expertise of this forum at my disposal. Suddenly it wasn't life and death of the van, (or of the dream) it was the challange of the getting to the correct dignosis, and what it would take to make the repair. It was fixable. I'm so glad you said what you said about about the value of a good old high top, and when it is dead, or not. I felt justified in choosing it, and doing what it might take to keep it running well, it renewed my faith in my ability to do this. Life is good. Thank you agian. Judy

Ballenxj said:
Another thought, if your carrier bearing (old school name for split drive shaft bearing) was going bad for a while, that cannot have been good for your fuel economy. Think of it as having your e brake partially engaged. I wouldn't be surprised if your fuel economy picks up by a couple mpg. The van might feel a bit peppier too.

We noticed right away that it drives peppier-  We got our back nice, quiet running van.