We bought a van.. Well kinda

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

VintageVan

Reaction score
Not your average old van i know. But when I found it I had to have it. 
This is my first post so I will start with hello. My name is Robert and my wifes name is Kim. We are mid 40's and want to travel alot starting next year. 
Now the van we are converting. Well our vanbulance..
Its old, but was purchased from a very small town in Oregon at auction. It a 1976 chevrolet ambulance rescue 1 ton van. has a 350ci engine, 7,800 original documented miles. Was stored in the back of the city shop for the past 40 years. This is how we bought it a couple weeks ago. 

Yes. Lol it is complete right down to the stretcher and sirens/pa system. My son and I had a great time driving this back to Boise on long stretches of road void of all cars. We laughed way to hard. 
But now its home after we changed the rear fuel lines, filter and new gas. She ran like a champ. 
I guess this will be a build page and hope I can get some help and feedback as we transform this ugly thing into a camper.

First, WELCOME!!!!!!

Feedback #1 is safety.
Old rubber decays, it gets hard and cracks even if you cannot see it just yet.

Brakes are job one. Flexible lines within the system, replace them now. The Master Cylinder, wheel cylinders and disc calipers must be replaced or rebuilt too. Do not put this task off.... you may not live to regret not doing this.

Watch for leaks too. Engine oil, transmission oil, differential oil, power steering fluid, etc.
same reason as the brakes, old rubber dries out. While failure here won't kill you, it can ruin expensive components.

Repack, regrease, lubricate everything you can. In particular the front wheel bearings. Old grease becomes like wax and doesn't lubricate well any more.

Enjoy the ride!

Dave

Also change engine belt(s), and check the age of the battery. Check tires, both visually and the manufacture date code.
Are y'all short enough to stand under the mid-top? I'd be stooping.

Welcome to the CRVL forums VintageVan! Looking forward to your build! Please post pictures as you progress.

To help you learn the ins and outs of these forums, this "Tips & Tricks" post lists some helpful information to get you started. We look forward to hearing more from you.

Welcome! Love that Vambulance, wish I'd find something like that

very cool, and the bed even has seat belts, lol. seriously go though all the mechanicals like others have said. I am surprised the front seal on the trans is not leaking, very common on the turbo-hydro transmissions if they sat to long. oh yes welcome and we need pics of the build. highdesertranger

Welcome aboard Robert and Kim!
Your great adventure begins............................................
Happy Trails

Thank you so much for all the reply's. 
I have drove the van about 700 miles sense we purchased it to re-break in all the moving parts. I may be in over my head on this one. The trans pan is seeping oil. The air conditioner no longer works. Completely dry. Valve covers are leaking on the rear corners so bad that the oil has found its way into the broken down spark plug wires and they have swollen up twice the size as the rest. I am guessing this is why it will not drive right now over 30mph. I did not make it to work today because of that. So i came home and started to tear it apart. This is as far as I got. 
I can't believe how clean it is under the valve covers. Bit suprised because i had to take a hose and plastic scrubI brush to get about a 1/4 inch of dirt off the top of the engine to start this. 

On my way home I bought a new cap,rotor,plugs and wires. Hopefully these will get it running again. 

I'll be back later with the news..

I hope you got some valve cover gaskets too !
That inside looked like new ....

I'm personally against it as there's no pass through for the driver. Maybe you might cut one, but still, it's a great buy and well worth the efforts.

I DO like the storage bins...Man, that's a BIG plus for anyone.

VintageVan said:
Not your average old van i know. But when I found it I had to have it. 
This is my first post so I will start with hello. My name is Robert and my wifes name is Kim. We are mid 40's and want to travel alot starting next year. 
Now the van we are converting. Well our vanbulance..
Its old, but was purchased from a very small town in Oregon at auction. It a 1976 chevrolet ambulance rescue 1 ton van. has a 350ci engine, 7,800 original documented miles. Was stored in the back of the city shop for the past 40 years.
What a COOL project! Congratulations, and WELCOME to the forum!
Just take your time picking away at it, you'll get there.   ;)

on the valve cover gaskets get the Fel-Pro reusable ones. they seal much better and last forever. that clean motor is on par for a Chevy small block the have very good oil circulation. highdesertranger

Ballenxj said:
What a COOL project! Congratulations, and WELCOME to the forum!
Just take your time picking away at it, you'll get there.   ;)

GotSmart said:
Nice looking project.  It will keep you out of the bars for years fixing it up.   ;)

Or IN the bars drinking away your rotten rubber sorrows.........

Dave

Painted the valve covers and got them on. What a pain getting the old gaskets off. Even razor blades wouldn't touch them. After reading online, I used indian head sealer this time. I hope they dont leak.  Must have been the better part of 3 hours getting those off. 

New plugs, cap rotor and wires put on as well. I only ran it for about 4-5 minutes to warm it up to seat the new valve cover gaskets. Wow did she start right up and run so smooth. I'm very happy right now. 

This van is going to be stripped of the interior down to metal and rebuilt from the ground up. We are not keeping anything as come next may we will be living in it for about 2 months as we take a long loop threw the states. That is our goal now that our boys are grown up.. We for the most part. :)
I bought cork gaskets. I wish i knew there were reusable ones. If these leak i will definitely buy those. 
My youngest had just suprised me with my birhday present early. I got new belts and hoses from the lad. :)
My wife had just bought me a cobra ltd 29 yesterday. Im a blessedman for sure.

Haha.. I don't really have time to drink but I may have to start pounding some suds during this build :)

hey that has a mount for a York AC compressor.  those make great OBA(on board air) compressors.  I have one on my truck for an air compressor,

006.JPG

007.JPG

highdesertranger

Attachments

• 006.JPG
    006.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 22
  • 007.JPG
    007.JPG
    1 MB · Views: 19