Water leak fixed, first night in the van. Plus: Conflicted about job opportunity.

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

concretebox

Reaction score
Hi folks. Still here. Still sober. :)

I moved into the van/RV yesterday. Last night was my first night sleeping in it since the breakdown in January. It's warm and dry! My latest challenge was fixing a water leak in the roof over the bed. The leak was coming from somewhere under the AC unit. Impossible to find without removing the unit. I didn't want to do that so I used a very liquidy sealant meant for sealing roof shingles. I built a dam around the edges and poured it in. I then covered with a tarp and let it cure for a week. Good news: It stopped the leak. Bad News: My dam broke and sealant ran down the back window/door. I got most of it off, but I'm still going to have to scrub hard with a chemical remover to get the rest of it off the window and door panels.

20140511_084010.jpg

Not so Bad News: Without the water leaking into the bedroom, it ran off the rear, down the rear windows, but not before a portion of the water got in between the door's old weatherstripping. Another leak! This was where I got inventive. I made rain gutters/awnings out of sheet metal ductwork. I cut and bend it by hand (doubling over the bends on the edges to prevent a sharp edge). I then stuck it between the weatherstripping and the body of the doors, adding silicone caulk to seal it. I then cut out a little chunk so I can open and close the doors easily. The result was a success! I'm planning on painting them to match to color of the bodywork.

20140511_084003.jpg

Now I'm ready to live in it full time (while plugged into my friend's house) while I finish up this temp job I've been working for two months. There's the rub. I really want to get back to Colorado, but I've been offered a chance to stay here a work another three months. I wouldn't be free to hit the road until September. I'm conflicted on what to do. On the one hand giving up a job in hopes of finding another in Colorado is risky. On the other hand, I'm going to miss the summer (my favorite time). But then there is the money (about $1000/month working part-time). Then there's the fact that I'm a legit Medical Marijuana patient (pain management) in Colorado, and Illinois isn't so enlightened (and I would never risk going to the black market). Plus, isn't it likely I can find a shitty part-time job in Colorado if my search area is "The Entire State?" But if I leave now I'll need to find a job soon after I get there since the fuel cost to drive from Illinois to Colorado is about $750 (or three-quarters my current monthly income). *Sigh*

So, what would you do?

Attachments

• 20140511_084003.jpg
    20140511_084003.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 32
  • 20140511_084010.jpg
    20140511_084010.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 30
I have a similar small leak at the rear door and I like your solution. Do you use the rear doors a lot? Does the flashing stay in place OK? I was thinking of using flashing like that but attaching it to the drip rail either with glue or screws. I don't really want to drill though because of inviting rust.

The job: I'd stay with what you have to make sure you have an income. Then just stay motivated by looking forward to CO with fewer money worries. Colorado after Labor Day when all the tourists are gone would be nice to look forward to. The colder weather...not so much.

I don't use the rear doors very often. The flashing is secure right now, but I haven't driven the van since. I would be very surprised if they came off. I didn't feel I had enough room to attach them to the drip rail and be able to close the doors. If it was I would have bolted them on. Drilling through metal is never fun though. If you haven't done it before I suggest you buy plenty of extra bits and go slow (slow-moving bits cut through metal better than fast-moving bits).

I am a strong believer in having a significant cash reserve in case things go wrong so I would probably stay. But you say you have a part time job which pays $1,000/month. Is there a possibility you could get an additional part-time job or use temp agencies to make more money and build up your cash reserves?

How bad is the pain without the medical marijuana? If you're in agony I think I would go but if at all possible I would stay. I used to mock medical marijuana until I broke my arm and was on vicadin for 3 months. I hated that stuff and I totally lost all my appetite. I had to force every bite down my throat no matter how much I loved it. I lost 40 pounds and all i had was a broken arm. If I had a serious illness the wieght loss would have killed me.

Every since then I've had a lot more respect for medical marijuana because it takes away the pain and increases your appetite at a time when you need it most.
Bob

Concretebox,
Sympathize with your predicament. Lots of part and/or full-time jobs in larger metro areas of Oregon and Washington. Cost of becoming a certified patient after state fees, med. exam, etc. is about $400. High *** works best for my wife's degenerated discs, stenosis, scoliosis=chronic pain. Bob, you are so right! Look up the side effects of all the opium based, "legal" narcotics. (And first hand accounts.)Then look up the first hand accounts of people using marijuana. The "munchies" is the most common side effect. No contest.

Where in CO are you planning to go?

What kind of work would you be looking for?

You say "pain management", does that mean mild physical labor is out of the question?

You can get plastic J channel at most any hardware store, and attach it to the underside of the existing rain gutter with double sided tape (I used carpet tape). Make sure that it extends past the outside edges of the doors.

I did mine on both side and rear doors over 5 years ago, and the tape is still holding strong. It is thin enough that it doesn't interfere with the doors opening at all.

Thanks for the support guys and ladies. I've decided a bird in the hand is better than being unemployed (that's how that saying goes right? :) ).

I'm also going to work for my parents, helping them with household work. They're in their 70s and not in the best health, so not only will I be earning money I'll feel better knowing they won't be climbing ladders or doing something else that is becoming difficult and dangerous for them.

Van Tramp, I plan on heading to Denver. I've lived there before, but I can work anywhere in the Denver-Boulder-FoCo metro.

That being said, I won't be out there until August/September so I'll need to move on to SoCal by Nov/Dec. Anyone know of medical marijuana friendly employers looking for seasonal part-time work in that area?

The pain is bad enough that hard labor like Amazon isn't an option, but office work and mild labor are ok. Any suggestions?

Thanks