Was just given a 1989 lowtop g20. Where to start?!!

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

vagabondpilot

Reaction score
As you can imagine I'm a little overwhelmed.  I've been talking about buying a promaster and building it out but I didn't have the money.   A friend had been storing this and asked the owner if I could have it.  Mechanically it seems ok and I'll be going through all of that first... perhaps after I take out the moldy interior.   

I'm looking for functional cheap insulation, ceiling, floor ideas.  Someone on reddit recommended I lay in fiberglass... that seems like an odd option but it would certainly save some weight.  

Fiberglass is not light, better start researching!

WOW…Congratulations on your “new” to you Van!! I see many hours of fun and hard work ahead. But just imagine the satisfaction when you drive off in your new home!

Welcome to the CRVL forums vagabondpilot! There's a lot of information on the forums so read through some of the different subjects and if you have questions don't hesitate to ask. Somebody here will be able to help!

To help you learn the ins and outs of these forums, this "Tips, Tricks and Rules" post lists some helpful information to get you started.

Most of our rules boil down to two simple over-riding principles: 1) What you post should provide good information (like your introductory post), and 2) Any response to someone else's post should make them feel glad they are part of this forum community.

We look forward to hearing more from you.

bullfrog said:
Fiberglass is not light, better start researching!

I think he probably meant fiberglass batting but when I read it I was thinking the same things as you.

As much as I wish she were taller, the more I get into planning the more i'm excited to do it.  I've been planning for solar and trying to figure out how I'm going to fit the stuff I want and what i'm going to have to leave behind.    So far I'm pretty sure that the gaming PC is staying at the parents (home base).  If I get a job out of town long term though I'll figure that out too.