Want an Element

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

VegasVanGuy

Reaction score
Hi everyone, I found the forum a couple days ago and have really been soaking everything in. For some reason I have the idea of a Honda Element stuck in my head. I love the versatility and would even like to keep it as a daily driver if long term vagabonding doesn't work out. I have two cars to sell for the purchase so I have some work to do. Maybe an '08 model with around 50k miles for $11k. I realize there are much cheaper options.

I haven't seen much about these SUV's on the forum so I am looking for some feedback about any drawbacks. Even with 150k miles they seem to be selling around $7-8k so I'm not really worried about depreciation. There are also some good videos on youtube for customization.

My goals are to get the Element, set it up, strap on a surf board, a kayak, and a bicycle if I can fit it and head for the California coast. I plan on using the couchsurfing network plus meetup to make some friends, maybe take a shower and cook a meal inside even though I don't need a place to sleep. 

Thanks for having me,

Dave

Dave,
Look for a fairly recent post from Madding in Newcomer's Corner. You'll see her Honda Element pics and read about how she's living in it.

Welcome! Honda Elements are great little cars. If you want to go beach-bumming, there are also Realtime AWD models too. Personally, I like the driving experience of the standard transmission models as compared to the auto models, but to each his own. If you want a small SUV, the Ford Explorer Sport(the 2-door model not the Explorer Sport Edition) is also a good vehicle. Plenty of space and reliable. What kind of alternatives do you have? Cheers!

Wow , that's a lot of toys to fit in/on an element . Post some pictures ok ?
Sounds like you're going to have a funmobile fer sure.........

Have you seen these bad boys? I just saw one for the first time a couple days ago and I thought they were pretty cool
http://www.ursaminorvehicles.com/campers.html
hqdefault.jpg

The only thing I have to say is be careful in the city. I know several people that have had their catalytic converters stolen, as they are easy to access. As you are probably aware, they are expensive to replace. (i just had to replace mine on my Honda and was not expecting it.)

Okay, that's my 2 cents.

Hi Vegas Van Guy. I'm a new member that happens to own a Honda Element E-camper LX AWD. Lived in CA until two years ago and spent many wonderful days camping next to the ocean alone or with the wife and grandchildren. It is the best vehicle for so many things-- hauling lots of gear--sleeps four adults--use it like a truck or a comfortable car--off road or on. I live in Iowa now (Close to daughter and her family) and when we are in a campground and wake up in the morning, folks are usually waiting to ask if they could see inside or take some pictures.
I found CRVL and enjoy Bob's blog and life and wish I was younger could hit the road as most of the lucky people that I read about on this site. Go do your thing while you can and good luck in you future on the highways of our great land!!

Thanks to everyone for the responses. I've bought a 04 Element with 130k miles. I could have afforded a lower mileage Element but I drove this one for 45 min and felt good about it. If I live in it for 4 months I will have broken even. My plan is to try to live in San Diego. I have a keen interest in sailing (currently taking a class) and learning to surf and the climate is very moderate. Right now I have a budget of $20 per day. $10 for gas and $10 for food. I'm not opposed to picking up part time work if the budget doesn't work out.

Any feedback is welcome,

Dave

Very attractive vehicle. What is the towing capacity of it?

So class 1 towing capacity. Like my car. It could tow a small storage cart. Bicycles. That's it. Maybe a teardrop trailer. At 20 to 24mpg it sounds efficient. They stopped making them in 2009. There is a 4wd standard version available.

Yeah, I wanted to stay away from 4wd. Just one more thing that can break and I don't plan on any serious off roading. There are some lower mileage models on ebay.