Vocational Schools

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I don't know if this topic has been addressed, but I have done it for years with no problems and saving loads of money. If you have a vocational school near you that teaches auto repair or body repair, you can talk to the instructor about any work you need done. Now all schools aren't the same and some are better than others to work with. Just the cost of parts is all you pay. If they try to charge anything else go somewhere else. I was nervous the first few times (students?!), but the instructors always follow up with their work. He never let them do work they hadn't already learned. If it's something out of the experience of the students, your vehicle becomes the classroom. The teacher rebuilt my power steering pump in front of the whole class and I just sat back and watched. I picked up the rebuild kit on the way in. Anyone else ever used this resource?

I haven't but years ago my sister took her VW bug to a local juco for a valve job. They forgot to install an air deflector and the motor overheated and blew a few weeks later. You get what you pay for...

I did this for dental care. At a dentist school getting teeth cleaned. Problem is they wanted a commitment of four visits. Instead of one.

If you can get the work for repair done in one visit go for it.

I've never had any trouble like that, but I also have the common sense to not let students do anything too complicated until I got a feel for the instructors.

If the school did autobody, I might be tempted to let them deal with minor body rust issues. I would be far less comfortable with letting them do mechanical repairs. But that's just me.

Regards
John

I have thought about the body work side of it too. Has anyone ever done this? I agree you definately have to be comfortable with what you want done. For me they were great for brake, alignments, tire mounting, suspensions. General stuff on that level. I wouldn't let them tinker with my engine or transmission. Slow2Day is right in you get what you pay for.