Vinyl plank flooring expansion and contraction

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Plant

Reaction score
Howdy again.

I purchased some floating vinyl plank flooring from Home Depot.  Initially I figured I would lay it down and build cabinets on top.  Now I'm not quite sure. I've been reading up and the vendor recommends 65 to 85 degrees Fahrenheit. My van will see much colder and hotter.  So I started watching videos and searching the web and ended up realizing there would be expansion and contraction.  The amount hard to say.  

So as a precaution I'm now thinking that it might be better to build out cabinets and then lay the planking around them.  In my way of thinking that would reduce the risk of movement causing issues, and if the expansion and contraction is great, then fixing or doing something else would be much easier.

Am I over thinking this?  Anyone with experience using vinyl planks in a van?  How is it working out?

I used vinyl laminate flooring in my van and haven't noticed any expansion problems at all. There sure isn't any between planks.

I did, however, have all my woodwork in place and then laid the floor. Partly because I had picked up only 2 boxes from Habitat for Humanity stores so I was worried about not having enough and secondly because I thought it would be easier..sigh I also didn't like the idea of screwing in to my nice new laminate flooring and I was worried about dripping paint on the laminate... :rolleyes:

If I had it to do over again I'd put it in before the rest of the woodwork went in - it would be so much easier than cutting in around all the cabinets etc. Most of the painting could have been done outside of the van and I could have used drop clothes or been a neater painter...hahaha

If you're really worried, contact the manufacturers tech support and find out what actual expansion and contraction measured rates are.

I used the ALLURE brand from HomeDepot for the floor in my van...….."floating" No adhesive...…..Installed cabinets over the flooring

The first year I used my Buddy ALOT and with it sitting ON the floor it warped the flooring in front of Buddy and the seams never fully returned to Flat.....

So over time...….. the wear shows at the seams and joins where the raised vinyl edges eventually wore smooth thru the color coat

NOW I operate the Buddy ON a small bench...……..

No normal expansion problems noted...…………………………………………...

Almost There said:
I used vinyl laminate flooring in my van and haven't noticed any expansion problems at all. There sure isn't any between planks.

I did, however, have all my woodwork in place and then laid the floor. Partly because I had picked up only 2 boxes from Habitat for Humanity stores so I was worried about not having enough and secondly because I thought it would be easier..sigh I also didn't like the idea of screwing in to my nice new laminate flooring and I was worried about dripping paint on the laminate... :rolleyes:

If I had it to do over again I'd put it in before the rest of the woodwork went in - it would be so much easier than cutting in around all the cabinets etc. Most of the painting could have been done outside of the van and I could have used drop clothes or been a neater painter...hahaha

If you're really worried, contact the manufacturers tech support and find out what actual expansion and contraction measured rates are.

One of my original thoughts on doing the whole floor was to better account for any cutting errors on my part, limiting them to mostly areas that would be covered by cabinets and not seen.  But I guess the downside of that is greater expense needing roughly twice the amount of material.

Overnight since posting, I came up with a brilliant idea (in my own mind lol).  That is to take a plank and cut a couple pieces and freeze and heat them to see for myself how it reacts.  Well not really brilliant since someone on YouTube has already done it. But I get to see for myself.

On the other hand, it would be nice taking back half the material for a refund!

abnorm said:
I used the ALLURE brand from HomeDepot for the floor in my van...….."floating" No adhesive...…..Installed cabinets over the flooring

The first year I used my Buddy ALOT and with it sitting ON the floor it warped the flooring in front of Buddy and the seams never fully returned to Flat.....

So over time...….. the wear shows at the seams and joins where the raised vinyl edges eventually wore smooth thru the color coat

NOW I operate the Buddy ON a small bench...……..

No normal expansion problems noted...…………………………………………...

Thanks for the heads up about running the heater.  I'll have to make an insulated base for mine.  Good to know that normal expansion is not an issue.

Latest posts