Vinegar destroys rubber seals!

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CosmickGold

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Some time ago, I posted about how my Gama Lid leaked all over the floor when the bucket tipped over while I was driving. (What a mess to clean up!) I never did find a reason why. The Gama Lid looks perfectly fine, but leaks all the way around!

Then today, I rinsed out my small rubber sealed container I store used sardine cans in to prevent smell before trashing them. I put in some vinegar and shook it, and to my surprise, it leaked vinegar all over. (How strange. It is advertized as being air tight.)

So I sat there a moment before wiping up the floor, and wondered what the Gama Lid and sardine box could have in common. (????) Only two things: (1) I use white vinegar in both to prevent smell and germ growth. And (2) both have an "air tight" rubber seal around the top. Eureka! I have it! Vinegar must be wrecking rubber seals!

To see if my theory is correct, I asked Bing Copilot and read:

"Yes, vinegar can damage rubber seals over time. Vinegar is an acidic substance, and prolonged exposure to acidity can weaken the chemical bonds in rubber, causing it to break down and deteriorate. This is particularly true for synthetic rubber seals found in appliances like dishwashers and washing machines." (... and apparently Gama Lids and food holders too.)

This is so helpful to me, I want to pass it on to all of you right away. :oops: