79 Econoline 351 - no power uphill and rubber smell

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ok lets get this worked out
When climbing a hill does it sound like the engine is lugging, or screaming? and when it 'hits' and seems to have more 'giddyap' do the RPM seem to go up or down?

Also check to see if a brake is hanging up causing drag. After running for a bit without using the brakes, pull over and see if the wheels seem hot.
Your throttle to transmission linkage might also need adjustment if the kickdown to second gear doesn't happen until too late.

Vehicles at high altitude lose power if they are not turbo or supercharged. See if your vehicle has a tow mode for the transmission. It is sometimes a button on the end of the gear shift. Using this mode if you have it will help going up hill, (this tow mode will take it out of overdrive).

See if you can find out where the smell is coming from. Pull over to a safe place and look under the care for smoke.

ArtW said:
Ok lets get this worked out
When climbing a hill does it sound like the engine is lugging, or screaming? and when it 'hits' and seems to have more 'giddyap' do the RPM seem to go up or down?

If I am remembering terms right... this is for a manual.  Not sure what gear it's in on this auto.  It seems like it wants to shift (higher or lower I'm not sure)... high RPMs & engine under stress:  then  when I push a bit higher on the pedal it sounds like it shifts and the the power increases, engine noise drops to normal.  But what it takes to get there seems like a lot of stress.

I mention the pedal position as I am very short and normally have my foot near the bottom.  Upon experimenting I found that if I push from the top of the pedal it switches over.    It's really confusing as I can't see how that would have anything do do with it. 

I appreciate the time and thought guys.  It's been driving me nuts for two years.  Now that all other issues seems to be under control (leaks, heat, fuel line, etc) this is one of the last gremlins.  Since I am in a mountainous region, it's kinda worrying.

ok there is no computer, no lock up torque converter, no OD. this is a 79. 2 gear is the passing gear. for a vehicle of that vintage at high elevation going up hill is tough. 55-65 is about it. like I said back her off to 45-55. see what happens. see if you still get the smell. oh yeah get the thing weighed. highdesertranger

I think I figured out the issue.  

I had mentioned that it seemed to kick into passing gear when I moved my foot to a different place on the pedal.  Like everyone, that just didn't make sense to me but... that's what happened.  So, I took a look.  (pics)

When I, in my shortness, only push the bottom of the pedal it only has about 1.5in of movement.
When I push from the top, it pivots thus having about 4in of movement!

Since growing isn't an option and I'm already using pillows, I plan to build up the pedal pad to make the rubber on the pedal thinker and not interfere with the mechanical function.  :/

Still going to get her weighed this week though.

Attachments

• pedal 1.jpg
    pedal 1.jpg
    583.4 KB · Views: 8
  • pedal 2.jpg
    pedal 2.jpg
    599.9 KB · Views: 10
that makes total sense, didn't know they were top hinged in an e seies

they make bolt on extender for the accelerator and brake pedals. they bolt and unbolt easy. highdesertranger

Whenever being short gives me problems I just look at my mom ! Or should I say look over my mom !! Skuh kuh kuh kuh kuh

That was an easy fix!

highdesertranger said:
they make bolt on extender for the accelerator and brake pedals.  they bolt and unbolt easy.  highdesertranger

I'll keep looking, but a quick check of Amazon found one set for $105 and the other for $700!!!! (but hey, only $2 shipping)
At that rate I'll look at duct tape and wood.  :/

probably shouldnt post this because i dont like jerry rigged stuff but

its a video of a guy using one of those triangle door stops as a peddle extender

i would fork out for a proper extender

making out of wood is ok, but please attach it with something better than duct tap lol

I used screws.  :)

Attachments

• pedal 3.jpg
    pedal 3.jpg
    398.8 KB · Views: 7