ventilation / useless stuff

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

newbieonwheelz

Reaction score
[font=Merriweather, Georgia, Cambria,]Brand new to van life. I don't officially start my adventure until this April. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.[/font]

[font=Merriweather, Georgia, Cambria,]Is there a company/group/person that will install a Maxxair fan in a van? I do not own tools and don't want to cut the crap out of my van. [/font]

Is there anything you thought was an absolute need when you started living in a van and found out you could live without?

Thank you for your time!

newbieonwheelz said:
[font=Merriweather, Georgia, Cambria,]I do not own tools and don't want to cut the crap out of my van. [/font]

Cutting the crap out of your van is a central part of the initiation!  Like a vision quest or wearing those big grass gloves with stinging ants in them.  You'll feel so much better when it's over with.  :)

I did it with a $5 orange garage sale jigsaw:

I agree with FraterS.  Making Holes in the roof is like a rite of passage....
Mine already had the hole for the fan, but I changed fans..
And then drilled holes for Solar..TinySkylight.jpg

Believe me, you will learn how to weatherproof.. lol

Attachments

• TinySkylight.jpg
    TinySkylight.jpg
    438.3 KB · Views: 15
Welcome to the CRVL forums newbie!

To help you learn the ins and outs of these forums, this "Tips & Tricks" post lists some helpful information to get you started. We look forward to hearing more from you.

I will cut the hole and mount the fan for $75. You have to come to South Jersey. I will do the wiring for another $25.

newbieonwheelz said:
Is there anything you thought was an absolute need when you started living in a van and found out you could live without?

A Porta Potti. Campgrounds,Walmarts,fast food joints,the great outdoors,etc. generally in reach. Keep a 5 gall. bucket and WM bags handy for emergencies.

get a swampcooler and forget about the roof vents, I got 3 of them on my roof and I covered them up. It was a waste of time for the limited cooling they provide. If the roof is hot you only bring hot air in your van.

And if you take it somewhere to get done unless they done it on your type of van, you might want to cut into the roof headliner first to make sure there isnt a support beam or wiring where you want the vent to go. On one of my roof vents I wasnt paying attention and almost cut into a support beam, now I have an extra hole on the roof of my van I had to cover up. 

But instead of the roof you would have to cut holes on the side of your van to feed the swampcooler like in my picture. A cordless jigsaw from harbor freight (30 dollars including battery) does quick work on cutting into your van. 

Swampcooler is the only necessity I can live without, I run it everyday. Everything else in the van is a luxury. If you can't stay cool nothing else matters.

side vents.jpg

cordless jigsaw.jpg

Attachments

• side vents.jpg
    side vents.jpg
    92.9 KB · Views: 11
  • cordless jigsaw.jpg
    cordless jigsaw.jpg
    22.1 KB · Views: 7
Swamp cooler only works in certain weather / climate.

IMO well controlled ventilation capable of high-CFM exchange is always required for fulltimers.

John61CT said:
Swamp cooler only works in certain weather / climate.

That is my understanding and not in most of the places I am likely to go. I used one in Perth Australia and it seemed to help (at least on that day), but completely useless in Thailand.

Maxxair fan blows out so I don't see how that could bring in hot air.

Should be reversible, also "ceiling fan mode".

But also, anything blowing out causes incoming, nature abhors a vacuum.

Intake venting should be screened and closable too.

Very hot weather, besides stale funky air, the problem is heat building up inside.

Without active cooling best you can do is outside temp in the shade. But constant airflow over your sweating skin does help.

A closable, screened vent from the bottom of the van will allow both convection air flow and for the fan to draw from the coolest air available (shaded under van). Installing it under/behind your fridge if you have one will offer dual benefits. I'm in the build process but will have closable floor vents under both fridge and electronics cabinet. I don't claim this is the best solution, but it is my solution and has worked well in the past.

Bottom vents really should be closed every time you start up, CO kills, and even just dust gets nasty.

Great design for stealth

Weight said:
I will cut the hole and mount the fan for $75. You have to come to South Jersey. I will do the wiring for another $25.

Wow I wish I was in, or even close to, South Jersey. I would definitely take you up on that.

I am with the OP. I would like someone who has some experience do this for me and am willing to pay. I paid too much good money for the van to feel comfortable cutting a big hole in it. I'm an accountant after all, not a skilled construction worker. :D

Craigs list can be an amazing resource for casual labor.

Check references, meet offsite first, trust your gut.

tnvangirl said:
I am with the OP. I would like someone who has some experience do this for me and am willing to pay. I paid too much good money for the van to feel comfortable cutting a big hole in it. I'm an accountant after all, not a skilled construction worker. :D

It's tax season. Barter?

If you are in a van you could get away with a smaller interior fan.
I've been using a Ryobi One+ battery slash/electric fan for 3 years and it suits me just fine.
It works with the 18v batts for my drill and saws. It can also be plugged into A.C. via standard household or heavy duty extension cords.
2 speeds, mount or not, variable positions, can be put where needed most at the time.
You can also buy a 12v charger for the batts so you can charge them on the go.
No cutting or weatherproofing necessary.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Ryobi-18-Volt-ONE-Hybrid-Portable-Fan-Tool-Only-P3320/205022215

Sent from my SM-G925V using Tapatalk

Addendum
If you go with the ryobi, I don't recommend charging the batteries with the engine off. They pull a lot of amps and 2 battery charges will kill your vehicle battery.
I speak from experience!

Sent from my SM-G925V using Tapatalk

I thought we were talking about ventilation, that is exchanging humid funky inside for fresh outside air at high CFM.

Just blowing internal air around has its benefits, but is no substitute.

newbieonwheelz said:
[font=Merriweather, Georgia, Cambria,]Brand new to van life. I don't officially start my adventure until this April. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.[/font]

[font=Merriweather, Georgia, Cambria,]Is there a company/group/person that will install a Maxxair fan in a van? I do not own tools and don't want to cut the crap out of my van. [/font]

Thank you for your time!

Where are you located? I used to cut holes in roofs to install ventilation fans on buildings basically the same thing.

Latest posts