Vent Fan on Roof or No vent Fan? Solutions?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just want to offer up what I have experienced recently here in sunny southern California.
MY white 2007 E-150 sits in the Driveway in the sun! If I do not open the MaxAir/fan vent my van gets hellaiciously hot!

I forgot the other day and the outside temp peaked in the low triple digits. My weather thermometer for indoor and outdoor reported 119 at the floor line of the van!

With the Vent open and the fan on I never see more than the outside temp or less. One other thing I noticed was the cab was considerably cooler than if I don't have it on. Even with the windows cracked open about 2" when parked the cab gets outrageously hot. With the fan on it's not bad. Works for me.

Again just my observations.

Mike R

Bitty said:
On top of that my engine keeps stalling out due to what's been suggested as vapor lock,

Bitty, I'm not sure what you're driving, but vapor lock has gotten so rare as to be practically non-existant.

On the old cars and trucks, the fuel pump was mechanical and mounted on the side of the engine block and was driven by a lobe on the camshaft.  While fuel was under pressure between the pump and the carburetor or fuel injectors, the pump had to use SUCTION to pull fuel from the tank up to the pump.  If the fuel in THAT section of the line overheated, the pump was unable to cope and it stopped sucking liquid fuel out of the tank.

Modern cars and trucks have an electric fuel pump IN the fuel tank, and you have positive pressure - sometimes quite HIGH pressure - all the way from the tank to the engine.

So unless you're running a real antique, your problem ain't vapor lock.

Course, since you're planning to DUMP the POS we're talking about, you probably don't care.

Regards
John

As someone who has just spent 6 months and over $100 chasing first, a mouse, and then, a rat, I think I speak with authority when I advise you to replace those seals and have no uncontrolled access to the inside of your van.

As far as a roof vent, they are great if you can do a good water tight job. The advantage I would see over a window fan is that you can get a cover that would allow you to run the fan even in the rain.

Bitty said:
Depends on whether you consider '86 a "real antique".  :p  

Here in NY, anything more than 25 years old is eligible for antique plates.  And yeah, you may well have the old mechanical pump on an 86.

GotSmart said:
That is sweet!  I wish I had one like that.  None of the reviews I read say anything about rattles, just occasional electronic failure. (good warranty) 

I do not have a problem with roof leaks, and close the vent when rain is forecast  If only I could find the pesky leak in my back door. 

That is the optimal solution.  A roof vent in my opinion.  So many vans have them they do not stand out.

I've been noticing more and more work vans with a vent on the roof.  It's a great idea even if you are just using the van for work!

Bitty said:
Totally understandable. That's the way I was too. I'm in Seattle, known for its rain and mild climate. When I got my dark blue van I scoffed at everyone's advice for light-colored vehicles and purposefully parked in the sun to soak up the heat. "I'm doing just fine, I dunno what they're talking about!" I'd tell my friends. Or, "Well it's not like i'm in the south or the dessert" I'd tell others.

As I type this sitting up it is 86 degrees outside. Inside the van, with all my doors and windows open and the sun blocked out by curtains, it's 103 degrees where my head is. Lying on the floor is cooler.

The past couple weeks I've now experienced serious heat exhaustion once, my boyfriend twice. When it gets that hot it's no longer a matter of personal preference or tolerance, it's straight up safety. "Surviving the heat" is no exaggeration.

So, you're the one who knows your weather patterns there, getting a fan for now sounds like the perfect current solution and perhaps that will turn out to be all you need. But I'd advise being ready to implement further measures if it turns out you need them.

Thanks one of many reasons why I got a white van, it really doesn't really get super hot inside, at least not yet so far.

gcal said:
As someone  who has just spent 6 months and over $100 chasing first, a mouse, and then, a rat, I  think I  speak with authority when I  advise you to replace those seals and have no uncontrolled  access to the inside of your van.

As far as a roof vent, they are great if you can do a good water tight job. The advantage I  would see over a window fan is that you can get a cover that would  allow you to run the fan even in the rain.

You can run a window fan in the rain too, just get rain guards on the windows.

2TheStreet said:
You can run a window fan in the rain too, just get rain guards on the windows.

Lately here the rain seems to be going sideways.  Rain guards are not that big.  You would need an awning to run a window fan in the rain.

Bitty said:
Twice the past week I've driven for 45 minutes around this area seeking shade and found none- zero, zilch, nada. On top of that my engine keeps stalling out due to what's been suggested as vapor lock, has caused some serious near collisions. Staying in this area means it's possible for me to work on fixing up the minivan, leaving it entirely is pretty risky from a safety perspective unless I go at night after it has cooled down, drive for at least an hour to seek shade further than I did previously with no guarantee of finding it. Hard to find safe places to park in suburbia let alone shady ones. I've been researching it all day googling various maps. Closest possibility I can find is DNR land about an hour away but I'd have to purchase a Discover pass for that, which is vehicle-specific, not sure it's worth it to pay $30 for a year-long pass tied to a van I'm about to get rid of. Plenty of local parks nearby, none of which have any shady spots whatsoever. I'm serious. Nothing.

Here's something I learned.... Go to a Home Depot or any business that has large company trucks parked in their parking lot. A large truck provides enough shade for my E150.

New van build update video. Solar battery box build, renege bendable solar panels un-boxing, driver's seat swivel plate installed and rear view camera installed.

GotSmart said:

I'm hoping to get by with something like this.  I too do not want to cut a big hole in the roof of my Transit Connect.  It's not a metal-roof inside like a true cargo van, but has a headliner to deal with.  Fortunately the previous owner installed sliding, screened windows in the side doors that I hope will work well with a box-fan like the one in the above link.  With both of the sliding windows open, I should get good cross-flow.  
I just need to come up with a way to mount it to the inside of the door. 

akrvbob said:
I'm not a big fan of powered roof vents--I've never had one though. In my cargo trailer I have two roof vents and they really help, I wouldn't be without one.

If you know what you are doing, a roof vent won't leak--it's no big deal. For $40, it's silly not to put one in!!!!

I'm in my van for the summer and it doesn't have a roof vent at all. I find that as long as I use a good fan inside with me, I'm fine. The huge advantage of a portable fan over a roof vent fan is you can set it close to you and aim it at you--that is far, far better!!

If I had to chose one or the other (roof fan or portable fan) I would chose the portable fan. And, you can can get a O2 Cool fan for $20 and stay just as comfortable as a $150 powered roof fan.
Bob

I bought the large O2 Cool fan for my minivan, and two small O2 cool fans that will perch in both rear vent windows when it's not raining. Ordering rain guards this week, and just bought an O2 Cool battery operated mister bottle to get a bit of moisture in the air when it's hot and dry. Am hoping fans and rain guards will be enough ventilation for the minivan. The fans are nice and quiet.

I am opting to cut a hole in my van and install a Fantastic Fan with rain sensor. I've decided making myself comfortable and not baking in my van outweighs the concern of a possible leak.

Could you just inspect the vent once or twice a year and re-apply some good sealant? Treat it like a maintenance thing?

ATM I just cannot handle the stress of having something mounted on my roof...(roof to be).

The propane I will carry will have a vent hole in the floor...(propane drops, not rises).

"Everyone" says I have to have a roof fan or I'll bake. IDK. I grew up in a house that had 10-12' ceilings and lots of windows. (No ac back then). The heat rose to the ceiling and the breezes passed through the rest of the house. Unless it was just a sweltering day, one was comfortable. I'm buying the High Roof (roof at 9'? ceiling at 8'?) so I am going to see if that will work without a roof fan.

(I'm also leaning towards a mini split if I do a/c in the future... and no roof solar panels.)

waldenbound said:
I am opting to cut a hole in my van and install a Fantastic Fan with rain sensor. I've decided making myself comfortable and not baking in my van outweighs the concern of a possible leak.

Could you just inspect the vent once or twice a year and re-apply some good sealant? Treat it like a maintenance thing?

If the vent is installed properly, their is no reason for it to leak, ever.  I cut mine with a hand tool, and never a problem.  I even have my solar wires going through the side of it. 

There is no reason why you can not check it twice a year along with everything else.  Spring and fall.  Go through and inspect everything in the vam.  That is a good idea.

GotSmart said:
If the vent is installed properly, their is no reason for it to leak, ever.  I cut mine with a hand tool, and never a problem. 

In total agreement with GS here. Years ago I installed a metal roof vent in place of the plastic one. I used a good sealant on it and had years of trouble free use.
My current van does not have a roof vent, but I am thinking of putting one on it. You will be thankful for one in those hot times of year.
One bit of advice I have to offer is that if you do install one, cut a small piece of reflectix and fit it into the cover. Mine will close using the edges of the reflectix as a gasket while making a better setup in the winter. I sliced it just enough to allow it to be slid between the metal brace and the plastic lid, so it opens and closes normally.

I have a Chevy Express van and have a Fantastic Fan. I can't imagine not having ventilation in my van. Even on cool days, the van gets stuffy and it's nice to be able to turn it on. It's also nice to have the option of pulling air in, or pulling air out. Mine even has a thermostat, so it can go on and shut off automatically. Personally, I think it's one of the most important features that can be added to a van.

If a fan is going to be put in correctly i.e. professionally, it isn't going to leak. I've never had any issues with my van, in terms of the fan. Spend the money. You'll be glad you did.

I2TheStreetI'm converting a chevy express cargo van into a camper van, as some of you may know, and was told I should add a vent fan, such as a fantastic vent fan, on my roof. I really don't want to add a fan because of cutting into the roof and risking leaks, although I'm aware of using sealant regularly to avoid leaking. Question: I noticed that one of my middle barn doors has the rubber weather stripping missing, you can see a slight opening from inside the van because the weather stripping is missing. Could I skip the fan vent since I am probably getting some ventilation because of the missing rubber seal? I also noticed one rear back door has a very slight opening at the bottom of the door for some reason, probably needs new seal as well, probably getting some slight cross-ventilation. No rain comes in the van at all from either door though. Skip the vent fan?

I know some people that have not added a vent fan on the roof and were fine .

Another solution: Put rain covers on the driver and passenger window and crack the windows slightly? 

Also, I'm wandering if there is a vent fan that can be put on the driver and passenger window? I've seen those solar vent fans but I see many bad reviews on them. Here is a link to one that got more favorable reviews:http://amzn.to/1BJZpIL

However, that unit will not work at night.

My van doesn't have a roof vent/fan but I am seriously considering it. Granted it's 50-60 degrees outside, I just can't imagine how 80-90 degrees would be.

My van has 3 bottom pop out windows (The ones that doesn't allow rain in). I am also thinking of getting those front visors so I can crack the front windows a few inches without people seeing.

I am waiting for the 70-90 degree weather to come back before I make the final decision on the fantastic fan.