Vehicle Insurance

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tablo

Reaction score
This seems to be the white elephant in the room kind of thing.   I am unable to find an insurance company that will fully insure me as a Full time
Van dweller.  One insurance broker stated that "they wont accept that level of risk".   I really don't care about insuring the contents in a van.  But
what I AM concerned about is having an accident getting sued and losing my bank account funds, and any future assets such as a house purchase or property.    This is a serious issue not fully spoken of here.  But I feel it needs to be addressed.  So far I have read ways to "get around" the insurance companies but that's not an option as I refuse to play those finnancially dangerous games.   

So...am I out of luck?  Or did I miss something?  Has anyone purchased comprehensive car insurance with no permenent address AND told their 
insurance company all the facts?   If so please  share your knowledge!    thx

first off everyone needs some type of permanent address for all sorts of stuff not just insurance.

why do you want full coverage? do you still owe money on the vehicle? you can insure the contents on a renters policy.

lastly there are several companies that will insure full timers but it depends on what you are driving.

what are you driving?

one more thing, there are several threads on insurance you just got to find them.

highdesertranger

In some states you can self insure or buy other types of personal insurance I believe. Many convert their vans to RVs and are able in some states to get full time RV insurance, school bus forums are a good source of information for this. For general information I would try the Escapees experts. Converting a van to an RV and getting full time insurance can be difficult if not impossible in several states. People, after investing so much in their van and not being able for various reasons like health benefits, cannot move their state of residence, find ways around the system that cannot accommodate them.

YES...………...What State do you call HOME ?

I call Florida Home...….I joined Escapees for a Legal address and mail forwarding

I called my INDEPENDENT Insurance Agent...……Full time traveler......full coverage …$$………..it's all about the VIN #.

(The agency was mentioned in a Schoolie forum...……."Tim" can write a policy anywhere in Florida...….He's never SEEN my van)

you can insure the contents on a renters policy.

Can you get a renters policy without a sticks and bricks home?

Tablo said:
. . .
I really don't care about insuring the contents in a van . . .
getting sued and losing my bank account . . .
assets . . .

comprehensive car insurance

What I do is keep my mini-van and contents cheap and keep an emergency fund sufficient to replace it all.  That way I decide to repair or replace.  I decide the value of the contents if it gets stolen or destroyed.  It's about $2000 to get another 20 year old high mileage drivable mini-van.  If the first one I get is bad a second $2000 will get another.  All of the contents are under $1000 so a $5000 fund is sufficient.  Banks pay no interest these days but at least there's no premium. 

For liability insurance I get 25 times the minimum ($10,000) required by Florida.  That way if I am the victim of a bogus suit the insurance company lawyers will be serious about defending themselves.  If I do cause injury or damage the victims should not be denied recovery because I was too cheap to get adequate liability insurance.  Since I still have a half interest in my first wife's home the $250,000 liability protects that interest from a law suit.  In my opinion, liability insurance provides restitution and protects my assets.

Since it is a mini-van it is the same as a passenger car.  State Farm doesn't know, or care, that I carry a sleeping pad and a camp stove.  Their only interest is their liability.  Their risk really doesn't depend on the vehicle, mostly the driver and the location.  Why do you want comprehensive insurance?  Do you have a loan and the bank requires it?

Yes I do plan to buy a new vehicle.   You and everyone have provided a lot of new information I did not know about.   Thanks to all for the replies! said:
Since it is a mini-van it is the same as a passenger car.  State Farm doesn't know, or care, that I carry a sleeping pad and a camp stove.  Their only interest is their liability.  Their risk really doesn't depend on the vehicle, mostly the driver and the location.  Why do you want comprehensive insurance?  Do you have a loan and the bank requires it?

If "buy new" means financing be sure to read the fine print.  Using the vehicle as collateral means the bank wants to be able to take the vehicle if you fail to pay.  To protect their interest in the vehicle they will require that you pay for insurance so they have no risk of loss.  Sometimes the loan agreement will specify which states you may take it to.  Modifications could affect resale value and may be forbidden.  It all makes sense considering that you promise to give them the vehicle if you fail to pay.

DLTooley said:
you can insure the contents on a renters policy.

Can you get a renters policy without a sticks and bricks home?

People get it to cover the contents of storage units.

My insurance agent turned not a hair when I told him I was closing up my apartment and taking to the road for at least a year, but wanted to keep my renters policy. He said my property was covered whether it was in my van or in my storage unit. YMMV, of course - not to mention your state and your insurance company.