Vehicle Insurance information

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Circuit Rider

Reaction score
Hi Everyone; I am brand new, so new that I haven't picked up my vehicle. I am going to do that on Sunday, but before I do that I must obtain insurance. My vehicle is a recently decommissioned ambulance. It is a 1993 Ford E 350 diesel with 80K miles. So far I have called several insurance companies who seem to be confused about how to classify it. I was just refused by Progressive and my insurer wants to see the vehicle first.  That's going to be difficult as it is 1900 miles from where I live.  Any ideas or suggestions, as I would appreciate any suggestions. I am leaving on Saturday and time is now short.

Welcome C.R. to the CRVL forums! To help you learn the ins and outs of these forums, this "Tips, Tricks and Rules" post lists some helpful information to get you started. We look forward to hearing more from you. highdesertranger

You might find some help in this thread from the Expedition Portal Forum where they are talking about getting it re-titled with a new type of vehicle designation so that affordable insurance can be obtained. There are other threads on that forum and this one regarding ambulance conversions. Every little bit of info helps when venturing into the unknown.
https://expeditionportal.com/forum/threads/ambulance-insurance.164655/

Thank you, that was a very informative post. I'm taking pictures to my agent with the AutoCheck results. I'll get commercial insurance and then make some changes in the van to get regular registration and insurance. Thank you Maki2!

I have the same year same milage with a Horton body. What does the title say E350 cutaway? Mine did & all I did is call my insurance co, no problem. When I registered I had the fire dept sign a letter it was de-commisioned which was all the DMV needed & asked ir I have sleeping, cooking & toilet facilities which I do so they tagged it a motor home. PM me your phone # or e-mail if I can be more help as if it's a '93 IDI you have the best diesel Ford ever made & I' have a bunch of info for you. Welcome

Thank you everyone for the information! I just purchased insurance from Nationwide. I didn't see your post Kaylee or yours Gre8ful before I purchased the insurance.  I will be back in touch with you Gre8ful once I have possession of the vehicle. I know it is a 7.3 but I'm not sure it is a IDI.  The dealership from whom I purchased it is not very familiar with ambulances.  The purchase agreement states it is a WGN, and Nationwide classified it as a Customized Van.  All is good, and I can't wait to get on the road.  The adventure begins on Sunday 12 noon in Lexington, KY! My good friend Nathanael will be travelling with me!

Please get in touch I'll send my e-mail. We have the best year made or ambulances & I've researched to death. Mine has a Horton body. Congrats

Circuit Rider said:
Thank you everyone for the information! I just purchased insurance from Nationwide. I didn't see your post Kaylee or yours Gre8ful before I purchased the insurance.  I will be back in touch with you Gre8ful once I have possession of the vehicle. I know it is a 7.3 but I'm not sure it is a IDI.  The dealership from whom I purchased it is not very familiar with ambulances.  The purchase agreement states it is a WGN, and Nationwide classified it as a Customized Van.  All is good, and I can't wait to get on the road.  The adventure begins on Sunday 12 noon in Lexington, KY! My good friend Nathanael will be travelling with me!

Hello; I made it back to Nevada, and the vehicle went the entire 2K miles without a single problem. The body is made by Medex. I am just starting to clean it up, and thinking of painting it with the truck bed liner that is tintable. I am having a problem with locking all of the outside storage doors. I also have to get a spare tire and a jack. Ultimately, I like the idea of putting the tire on the back door. Thank you Gr8ful I'll be in touch!

Circuit Rider said:

Well, I had to put my van in a storage as I woke up at 2am and my son told me someone was in the van(ambulance). They did no harm, but that was enough for me. Earlier, my "good" neighbors had reported the vehicle as abandon so parking enforcement had placed a tag on my windowI Lovely people my neighbors. I resolved that with the LVPD, but I feel very lucky and am taking no more chances. Gr8ful, I lost your post, please resend your information, thank you! Do you think a Banks kit to increase power and efficiency is worth while? I look forward to hearing from you!

I PMed the links to 2 articles on the engine & tuning & my e-mail, contact me anytime. Glad you had a good trip. What lind of milage did you get?