Vehicle choice

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cdwhit

Reaction score
I see a lot of vans, a few pickup/campers, and a very few motor homes when I’m watching Bob or the Cheap RV videos.  I can get a low mileage school bus for a fraction of the price of an RV or van (in my area, don’t know if this is true every where), and have lots of room for a cot, cabinets, etc.  

Why are skoolies not more popular?  What am I missing?

It could be because many states have regulations that make it harder to register and insure a skoolie. Such as making it illegal to use as a personal vehicle unless it's repainted.

Or that most of the buses at auction seem to be the larger diesel buses with high mileage and people shy away from them because of potentially large repair bills.

I'd love to find a small bus but it would need to be gas as I do most of the work on my vehicles and I'm not familiar with diesels at all.

Seems that a lot of the smaller buses are also diesel.

Also, many retired buses that I've seen on auction sites have way over 200,000 miles on them.

A skoolie build might take longer, be more expensive and involve more issues (plumbing, tanks, more electrical, etc) than a van build or a trailer. A skoolie might get worse gas mileage, be more limited with respect to boondocking (in rough country), cost more to repair, have fewer choices of repair shops, cost more in tires over time, etc. Unless one needs or wants the extra space and is prepared to use it (i.e. more extensive build), why is a skoolie better than a van or trailer?

Re this issue....I see two kinds of "campers" ---

(1) Tend to stay in one place a lot, and are happy staying in campgrounds or places with lots of other people, or close to major roads, do not tend to go inland very far on dirt roads.
(2) Tend to move around a lot, prefer not to stay in campgrounds or places with lots of others, (eg prefer to have more solitude) would like to get further away from major roads, eg head inland further on dirt roads.

Those in the first "camp" of campers could easily use a skoolie or large RV. Those in the 2nd camp could not easily accommodate to a skoolie or large RV as they would have more trouble getting to places further off the main drag. Also when you move around a lot, it's more of a hassle, the larger your vehicle, unless you are only going to sites that easily accommodate large vehicles and you know there will be space available for you.

just my thoughts and what I did I started out and converted a cargo trailer 10 years ago, the cargo trailer was great cheaper way to start out, but I just didn't like pulling a trailer and mostly backing it into places .
 I thought about doing the van build but I remembered how long it took and was surprised on what it finally cost and would have almost the same thing but in a van with no room much at all? 
this time around I bought a used motorhome I wanted something nice to live in and it looks great and drives great ?
if I wanted to do it on the cheap I would have bought a older motorhome and just remodeled it because it has all the basics in place, when things go out replace it with newer better things? 
when I was looking there were tons of older motorhomes with low miles around 10.000 and up 
I would never do schoolie I like the smaller shuttle vans but still think the used motorhome is the best choice to me anyway?

SLB_SA said:
A skoolie might get worse gas mileage...

That would be a big negative with me as I do lots of travelling half of the year. Gas will be going up,too.

A skoolie would work well with a toad or motorcycle if someone tended to stay put a lot.

WayOutWest said:
Re this issue....I see two kinds of "campers" ---

(1) Tend to stay in one place a lot, and are happy staying in campgrounds or places with lots of other people, or close to major roads, do not tend to go inland very far on dirt roads.
(2) Tend to move around a lot, prefer not to stay in campgrounds or places with lots of others, (eg prefer to have more solitude) would like to get further away from major roads, eg head inland further on dirt roads. 

Those in the first "camp" of campers could easily use a skoolie or large RV.  Those in the 2nd camp could not easily accommodate to a skoolie or large RV as they would have more trouble getting to places further off the main drag.  Also when you move around a lot, it's more of a hassle, the larger your vehicle, unless you are only going to sites that easily accommodate large vehicles and you know there will be space available for you.

Skoolies come in all sizes. 

Some of them are just modified vans, with a somewhat wider body, exactly a like Class C RV, only a lot cheaper. 

I think it is harder to get your hands on one, you're probably not going to find an unconverted one on Craig's List. People I've talked to that have bought them to do a DIY conversion have purchased them from specific auction sites. Usually, you have to get yourself qualified as a buyer in order to even bid on them. Or, people buy them from a business that is a qualified bidder.

https://www.nationalbus.com/Oregon/School_Buses_For_Sale_Oregon.aspx

My take on it anyway.

Way out west wrote “those in group one could easily use a schoolie”. Don’t wanna rain on your parade but there’s very few campgrounds today who will take a Skoolie or any other “homemade” rig.

nature lover said:
Way out west wrote “those in group one could easily use a schoolie”. Don’t wanna rain on your parade but there’s very few campgrounds today who will take a Skoolie or any other “homemade” rig.

I had heard that somewhere. Wouldn't standard national forest campgrounds or state park campgrounds take these? Or anyone who takes tent campers? What would be the argument against not taking a skoolie if you take tent campers?

cdwhit said:
I see a lot of vans, a few pickup/campers, and a very few motor homes when I’m watching Bob or the Cheap RV videos.  I can get a low mileage school bus for a fraction of the price of an RV or van (in my area, don’t know if this is true every where), and have lots of room for a cot, cabinets, etc.  

Why are skoolies not more popular?  What am I missing?
Bob has a fair number of skoolie video tours, mine being one of them. Type"cheaprvliving skoolie" into YouTube and 12 come up straight away.

slow2day said:
It could be because many states have regulations that make it harder to register and insure a skoolie. Such as making it illegal to use as a personal vehicle unless it's repainted.

Or that most of the buses at auction seem to be the larger diesel buses with high mileage and people shy away from them because of potentially large repair bills.

I'd love to find a small bus but it would need to be gas as I do most of the work on my vehicles and I'm not familiar with diesels at all.

Seems that a lot of the smaller buses are also diesel.

Also, many retired buses that I've seen on auction sites have way over 200,000 miles on them.
If you can work on gas you can learn diesel - I don't know anything about anything and, though I don't do my own work, I'm starting to feel like I could if I set my mind to it. 

Insurance is the most complicated part.

SLB_SA said:
A skoolie build might  take longer, be more expensive and involve more issues (plumbing, tanks, more electrical, etc) than a van build or a trailer.  A skoolie might get worse gas mileage, be more limited with respect to boondocking (in rough country), cost more to repair, have fewer choices of repair shops, cost more in tires over time, etc.  Unless one needs or wants the extra space and is prepared to use it (i.e. more extensive build), why is a skoolie better than a van or trailer?

The only area I can think of where it's better is, it's safer than just about anything. But the things I love about mine are how customized it is, the windows, the size... the same things might be a total turn off to anyone else.

WayOutWest said:
I had heard that somewhere.  Wouldn't standard national forest campgrounds or state park campgrounds take these? Or anyone who takes tent campers?  What would be the argument against not taking a skoolie if you take tent campers?

Yup. It's some of the private "RV resorts" that get picky. Some of them won't even accept regular RVs that they deem "too old". But there are plenty of private campgrounds that will have no issues.

When you call a private campground ahead of time - and you should, to save everyone's time - be specific. Ask for a tent spot (with electricity if possible) and tell them you are traveling in an ordinary van, or a short school bus, or a 28-foot school bus - what ever is the case. Also, if you are looking for a home base for several days, make sure you understand the rules regarding temporary absences. Some places will require that you leave some indication that you have not vacated the campsite. this is the reason to carry and pitch an inexpensive camping tent. No matter if you have paid for six nights, if if they see no signs of occupation on day 3, they can rent the spot to someone else, and they aren't required to refund your money.