Van's 17° angle of approach, departure, breakover point and 8" ground clearance,

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WalkaboutTed

Reaction score
This is a Nissan Nv 3500 RWD hightop, limited slip differential and stock tires.  Taking the above numbers in mind (picture math teacher using trignometry to determine the angles pertaining to our position), what kind of limitations do we have as far as fire, forest roads and light 4wd trails?  Also, how would our weight (low center of gravity, but almost  at gross vehicle weight (10,000#) hurt or help?  As we're so close to having the van done that we can taste it, I'm now looking forward and planning our meanderings.  You would be shocked at the types of terrain I driven with a rented Toyota Corolla, minivans and my Element.  But those were lightweight, unlike the van we have now.  I'm a lot more aggressive driving than my hubby, so I'm more likely to push the envelope of vehicle ability.

Also, how deep water has anyone driven through with their cargo van?

I have no problem with pinstripes and divots as long as they don't interfere with function. And also, to keep in mind, there a metal plate  underneath, protecting the gas tank.

We may be replacing the tires sooner than later depending on vehicle behavior.

WalkaboutTed said:
...what kind of limitations do we have as far as fire, forest roads and light 4wd trails?...

I've been down many fire and forest roads and seen ordinary passenger cars easily motoring along. Fire and forest roads are built with the idea of easy access for fire and forest personnel. Sure, they get rough and there are occasional washouts, but mostly they're no sweat. Well, washboard will drive you crazy, but there's nothing clearance or angles can do about that. Light 4WD trails? That depends on what you consider "light."

Yes it's the washouts will get you.

Heavier vehicle harder to recover with a winch.

But don't let that stop you, with basic precautions just better stories for the grand kids

That guide reminded me -- sand and deep, loose, fine gravel like in dry washes can be a problem. But that's more about floatation and traction. Oh, and the same with mud.

what is the class of tire you have now. I would put the tallest LT, E rated tire on that doesn't rub. you can handle the first 2 rated trails(1 and 1.5) on the list that OP linked to. but you must remember to keep your speed down especially on the improved gravel roads. sure you can drive 60mph on them but you will shred your tires. keep your speed down to 25-35mph even though the temptation to drive faster is there. you could even do some of the next 2 levels. what they call 2 and 2.5 rated. highdesertranger

The tires that came with the van are Firestone Transforce HT 245/75 R17 , load range m+s. They look pretty wimpy. New wheels and tires are on the top of our list as soon as the house is sold. Jacks, straps, compressor, etc, will all be part of the repertoire. Van came with tow hooks. I just don't feel comfortable with a lift as tall as the vehicle is already. How much will 8" of clearance hinder me? I don't know much about winches, but I guess I better educate myself.

We won't be driving fast down anything, our's is the Slowski family.

Thanks Optimistic, I'll go that direction and check it out.

I usually go down the road less followed and can see myself getting into deep...caca.

I've definitely done at least the trail rating 2+ in the Toyota, a 2 in the Odyssey, both with screaming passengers. I didn't get the nickname Wild Woman for nothing.

My dad had a big auto body repair shop, so I've always viewed vehicles as tools to be used, not babied. You bend the frame, oh well. There are plenty more where they come from. I've even had the fun of ramming other cars on purpose-do you know how liberating that can be? Cliffs concern me, though, so I'm careful with around them.

rear axle locker. I agree don't lift it except what you get with taller tires. highdesertranger

I'd see whether the tires you have fail to serve your purposes before replacing them with something more aggressive. I've always had M+S tires on my van and they've gotten me everywhere I've needed to go -- except the sand and mud I mentioned earlier.

the place to find out if your tires are not up to par, is not out in the sticks. back east you guys are never far from help, out west the are several areas were tire failure could put you in deep doo doo. for instance if you wanted to follow the Applegate Trail. a lot of the old emigrant trails are closely followed by paved roads today making them easy to follow. not the Nevada and northeast California portion of the Applegate. truly backcountry travel here. for those that have never heard of the Applegate,
https://www.blm.gov/or/oregontrail/files/OregonTrailMap5a.pdf
http://emigranttrailswest.org/virtual-tour/applegate-trail/
highdesertranger

Yeah that would NOT be a good place to go with easy-pop tires

on another point, 2 of my favorite prospecting spots on the Applegate. all those emigrants walked right over the gold. highdesertranger

WalkaboutTed said:
 I've even had the fun of ramming other cars on purpose-do you know  how liberating that can be? 

I did this once on the return home from a business trip.  We all had company cars at the airport, little scion xb's.  I was in my car, my boss was in front of me paying at the self serve thing to get out of the parking lot........not sure why I got the feeling to do it but I sped up an slammed into his rear bumper ripping it off.  Then blew around him and took off.. Five min later im at a redlight and he rammed into me!  Never laughed so hard in my life.  Ended up being about $900 in body damage between the two of them.  

No idea why the guy likes me, same boss that calls me every few months to see how i'm doing.

Every Road Leads Home said:
I did this once on the return home from a business trip.  We all had company cars at the airport, little scion xb's.  I was in my car, my boss was in front of me paying at the self serve thing to get out of the parking lot........not sure why I got the feeling to do it but I sped up an slammed into his rear bumper ripping it off.  Then blew around him and took off.. Five min later im at a redlight and he rammed into me!  Never laughed so hard in my life.  Ended up being about $900 in body damage between the two of them.  

No idea why the guy likes me, same boss that calls me every few months to see how i'm doing.

He was a charter member of the You Ain'T Right Club?

Ground clearance? Approach and departure angles? Breakover points? I don't think the Moab guy with the Crown Victoria worries about that stuff much.