Shared Space

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Goofy

Reaction score
This is going to take a minute; I think.  I'm scared to post this.

I've had this idea gnawing at me for a few years.  Every time I stick my head out to see if it might be possible I've withdrawn again because I think, nah... no one like that in the world.  Then I found this site and some YouTube videos and I thought... well maybe in that tribe.

See I have a home base but a heart that likes to hit the road so I'm blessed.  Very blessed. But I'm tired of being blessed totally alone when so many people see the need to, and want to, band together and help one another.  Up to this point, very few can get past the "let's not have a relationship" part.  I want some community, and maybe someday a relationship, but frankly being a person who doesn't fit in and never has and never will... well a relationship isn't an issue for me.  I'm okay alone most of the time.  I know most of you guys get that.  Grins.

So here's the deal.  I'm sitting up here on over 10 acres of mind blowing beauty on the side of a mountain at about 3800 ft or thereabouts, it goes up and down, grins... and I have projects and time and a very overactive imagination but I'm a woman with weight lift limits I must respect so I don't end up in a wheelchair or on the operating table.  I also built the home I live in here, a geodesic dome.  And my family and my loved ones are all gone... basically.  So, here's the deal I want to explore.

I want to know if there are any nomads who'd be interested in developing this place into a nomad way station of sorts.  I always need help and I'm always willing to help others who are of the love and light tribe and you'll know what I mean.  It doesn't mean I'm all love and light as no one is... but that I recognize the darkness for what it is and choose to turn it back to a balance by calling on all that love and light we CAN and do generate.  So...

What do you think?  Anyone interested in maybe coming to the NC mountains and staying a while?  I can provide water, electricity, sewer, and more wifi than you'll need, and even warm inside sleeping area if your vehicle gets too cold up here as it is winter right now.  Might have to rearrange a flat spot to allow parking and set up but that's always doable.  Well you'll understand if you see it. 

I can't say I'm interested right this second with anyone being here permanently... I haven't grown that much just yet.  So if we don't mesh... well, you gotta go.  I have enough mean people up here to deal with from rich overpowering know-it-all types to meth head thieving idiots to... well all sorts of folks I won't associate with... so it's slim pickins to find someone who means no harm... has half a brain or heart (meaning compassion for errors made in the past) or maybe that's just been my life to date and now I'm ready for a change.  I know you're out there.  You're just not here. 

But, if you're the type that likes to settle from time to time for a week or two or month or two... well, I'd be open to talking to you about a trade situation here... you help me, I'll help you... that sort of deal.  I can no longer really afford to pay anyone as so many people have taken the money and run... so to speak.  That can't and won't happen again.  I don't have much income as I am considered unemployable but I do get by... and I have this home as long as I can manage it.  Any interest?

There is a long term possibility I may take my artwork on the road with me too... again... I'm a retired mainframe applications programmer (former corporate slave in other words) who lives on work trade and a disability check and the gift/inheritance (long story) of what I put all my money and hard work into... my home which has a basement full of stained glass supplies I'm finally starting to work with again... after many years of healing.  I am the proud owner of Goofy and Big Blue and a Subaru that's already been a cross country sleep in vehicle once... with Lucky who was only 4 months old that time.  That's the trip I decided the next van I saw I vibed with I'd buy... and I did.  Goofy is the van I'm converting to my ultimate rolling bedroom and office.  Big Blue is my spare parts van which will someday be built out into a guest tiny home camper.  And I'm really ready to have some help to chill with a lot while I get it ready to go West for my next birthday.  There is plenty of time.... 

Anyone?

:idea:

And as my end goal is to get my van finished... I hope I put this proposal in the right spot.

I've done the worst parts... replacing and fixing all the worn rubber parts on a '89 G20... and that was not easy.

I've also repainted the roof... and put in a fan and the rough wiring is done and the plans are done and all the parts are here.  I just need another body.

:angel:

I think the number one issue with many people is that they do not see an up side for themselves.

Say I come and work a couple years...then you have to be put in a nursing home full time. Where am I protected? All my work was for ... nothing. Or maybe you decide you don’t like the company after a year or so....the people who improved your property for no pay end with nothing.

I am guessing you cannot pay people the actual value of their labor?

If you then decide that including a bunch of people into the deed is the answer, then what happens when you get people who get put on the title and then just quit working for the good of the community?

The long and short...I can see offering a lay over place for people. But, the building of a community takes a lot of pre planning and legal assistance to get it right.

The "air and light" stuff will not appeal to most, stick to brass tack practicalities.

Post a clear and succinct offer, a cut and dry deal, starting with a trial period of a couple weeks with little or no work required.

The key starting point is going to be people that will actually get along with each other.

As I seem to be getting nothing but negative feedback... thank you. If there was a way for me to remove the offer... I would. It was an opening for discussion. I don't intend to use anyone. I thought most on here understood work trade.

No, in fact I'll address the two issues that hit my buttons. I never suggested a permanent or long term stay. I said nomad way station. And if trading water, electricity, wifi and the forest I live in isn't enough? Well I don't have much more. See? I have my mind, skill sets which are many, my total ability to create just about anything I want but if that asset isn't valuable in today's world... bleh. Then all those folks out there helping each other are liars? No.

And love and light... get it right. There is no problem getting to details of agreements here. None whatsoever and if I don't tell you what sort of person I am I won't attract people who will like me and I'm very likable... or can be if people aren't all telling me what I'm doing wrong instead of what I'm doing right... so...

If someone is actually interested... message me. I'll answer.

Maybe you could suggest another venue for my offer? I thought this one was perfect. I didn't say I can't do things... I said I was unemployable. There is a HUGE difference. It pretty much means I am my own boss, basically. Isn't that the bottom line on whole concept of being 'nomadic' in nature? So I'm not as mobile or young as I used to be. You won't be either when you hit 59 and have lived as actively as I have lived. Grins. I have not lived a boring live cooped up in some dungeon as some nerd of a computer head... but if that's what some think when they hear 'corporate mainframe applications engineer' so be it. I'm not in charge of your interpretation of my words. I do accept responsibility for the accuracy of what I write.

So... whew. Thank you. I needed to get that out. What I have to trade is this, simply this...

A beautiful place in the forest that's quickly being changed dramatically that I'm offering to a few individuals that may find themselves in a place where they need a place to park with amenities so they can work on their own rig, and I could help, or vis-versa. And if that's not a benefit to you... keep it to yourself. I have tools as well... lots of tools. And space... plenty of space.

I like quiet. I love music. I adore a moderated debate. I walk away from conflicts when it becomes obvious someone isn't debating but arguing.

I only stay around those who agree to disagree.... and I probably have been there, and done that in some form or another so I'm not without a ton of life experiences; good and bad.

So... there you have it. Thank you for reading. I'll catch you on the flip side... whatever and wherever that is...

FWIW Goofy, I understood what you were offering completely, and think it’s a win/win, or could be for the right people. 

My first concern, and I get it a lot on this site, was safety. It’s a public site and you never know who’s going to respond to offers and requests for help. Just be careful, and trust your gut when you’re getting people.

Totally Stretch... safety is what has kept me alone.  And frankly I'm done not letting anyone in because someone else made a mistake in the past causing tremendous pain... even if that person was me and totally my responsibility.  That's a place i think we've all been in.  Some learned, some became bitter, some healed, some haven't yet.   It's all good.

I'm blessed and know it and I thank all that is good and right in the world for it everyday.  That's why this is a possibility and not a "For Rent" ad in the local paper.  Much discussion must be had before any agreements could be reached... and trial periods and learning difficulties... and

Well maybe fireside chats and drumming circles and story telling... who knows.  That's what I'm saying.  I'm the caretaker here and care will be taken. 

May love and light shine a light in the darkness of your night... whatever you face.

Goofy, i totally understood what you were offering and if i was in area i would take you up on it.
NC mountains are beautiful, anytime i am the guest of someone i offer help, it's just being a decent person.

BTW i lived in Hickory back in the 80' , back when i was riding Harleys ... great times
now at 58 i'm in Florida, plan is to sell my business in a few years then travel

hope you find what your looking for ....

Well, I have found what I'm looking for... just looking for other folks who can appreciate it as much as I do. Grins. Thanks Florida boondocker... who knows what may happen in the years to come; assuming I'm blessed enough to see them.