• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Van Living Forum and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member or just click here to donate.

Van pricing strategy

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

vagari

Reaction score
I was just curious what others use as a ballpark on the price you pay to buy a vehicle. I realize vehicle condition comes into to play, but just as a guide.

For example:

Let's say I look up an average vehicle with no known mechanical issues (yet) on NADA guide

Rough Trade-In $2,200
Average Trade-In $3,650
Clean Trade-In $4,850
Clean Retail $7,100

What's the highest amount you would pay? Are you just trying to stay bellow Clean Trade-In? Average Trade-In? Rough Trade-In?

That all depends on budget.

I am poor, so I spent $500 for my van, with another $2500 budgeted to get it complete with solar and road worthy. I also have the skills to put in a motor and what ever needed~~~ I needed it on this buy.

I never pay retail, never.

As low as I can go, but it must have paperwork for any claims of repairs. Claims and no proof~~~ (Or if you can see it was not done) I go somewhere else. If they lie about one thing, do not trust anything said.

That being said, I usually go for rough trade in price. Even obvious cream puff vans have a factor of 1/3 as a repair cost for unexpected and unseen problems.