Van Prices?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mr_elijah_gardner

Reaction score
I can't help noticing what some people pay for vans and what some people are asking for vans. Everything in this post is just my opinion and not meant to be taken as a fact. Ultimately everyone will buy what works for their needs and situation. I am just expresing my observation and trying to get other people's opinions. 

I am part owner of a local used car lot. So I see and participate in buying and selling more vehicles than the average person. The lot will not touch minivans and conversion vans because they are impossible to sell. We will sell an occasional sprinter or ford panel van but those are typically by request from customers needing service trucks.

When I first got into the van thing I picked my van up for $800 it is a 99 Dodge Ram 1500. Mileage was 130K-ish. It was kind of a what the heck I want to build a van and I'm happy with the price deal. At first I thought I paid too much until I started seeing what other people were paying.

I realize that vans are different prices in different parts of the country. I see some vans that people are pointing out for 5K and 6K that I have seen similar for well under 2K.

My Criteria in what makes a good vehicle may be different than others. 100K mileage or more doesn't scare me if I can tell the vehicle is mechanically sound. I don't believe it makes any difference on where the vehicle comes from: Auction, Fleet Surplus, Private party, or dealer. it's all a used car that anything can happen at any time. Biggest difference I see on some of the good cheap stuff and some of the higher priced stuff is a $200 Detail job.

There is plenty of cheap rusted out junk that shouldn't go anywhere but the junkyard. There is a ton of good stuff and it seems to me there are a lot of killer deals out there. I realize I may be more capable of assessing a vehicle than some other people. So I might be more comfortable looking at a cheaper van than someone else. I would think someone not mechanically inclined paying a trusted mechanic to inspect a few vehicles before a purchase could save a ton of money.

I'd like to hear other people's thoughts or theories and why prices can vary so widely.

What area of the country are you in? And do you tend to find the cheapest deals at auctions? We have dealer only auctions around here, where I think all the new car dealers take the trade-ins that they don't want to put on the lot. Also where the repo's are sold.

Dgorila1 said:
What area of the country are you in? And do you tend to find the cheapest deals at auctions? We have dealer only auctions around here, where I think all the new car dealers take the trade-ins that they don't want to put on the lot. Also where the repo's are sold.

Auctions can be really good or really bad. Sometimes dealers will unload basket case vehicles. I always go before the auction and inspect everything I'm interested in. I will never bid on anything that's not on my good list. 

There are alot of good finds at auction repos are pretty common and stale inventory from other lots. 

It might be worth offering to take a small car lot owner out to lunch and propose he take you with him next time he goes to auction. Offer him $200 for his time for taking you and don't bid more than your pocket can handle. 

I'm in southern Kentucky.

In snow country it's not the mechanicals as much as rust from the road chemicals.

John61CT said:
In snow country it's not the mechanicals as much as rust from the road chemicals.

True but I wouldn't really consider KY,TN snow country. Yeah some vehicles rust more than others.

Definitely agree rust could be a disqualifier or signficantly reduce the value. Some might be okay with some rust in the wheel arches or rocker panels depending on price and budget.

mr_elijah_gardner said:
I am part owner of a local used car lot. So I see and participate in buying and selling more vehicles than the average person. The lot will not touch minivans and conversion vans because they are impossible to sell. We will sell an occasional sprinter or ford panel van but those are typically by request from customers needing service trucks.

I've never heard of minivans being hard to sell.  What do you think the reason for that would be?

KroFlite said:
I've never heard of minivans being hard to sell.  What do you think the reason for that would be?

Other lots may have better luck with them. They don't fit the profile of the vehicles we sell. We focus on European cars. Most customers needing the room a minivan would provide seem to opt for SUV's. There are alot of rural areas around here that SUV's are more suited for.

Last minivan I had was an 06 Caravan. It was pretty nice 120K. I was glad when someone finally bought it for $1200

So minivans are impossible to sell at a lot that specializes in European cars. That does make sense.

mr_elijah_gardner said:
I can't help noticing what some people pay for vans and what some people are asking for vans. Everything in this post is just my opinion and not meant to be taken as a fact. Ultimately everyone will buy what works for their needs and situation. I am just expresing my observation and trying to get other people's opinions. 

When I first got into the van thing I picked my van up for $800 it is a 99 Dodge Ram 1500. Mileage was 130K-ish. It was kind of a what the heck I want to build a van and I'm happy with the price deal. At first I thought I paid too much until I started seeing what other people were paying.

I realize that vans are different prices in different parts of the country. I see some vans that people are pointing out for 5K and 6K that I have seen similar for well under 2K.

My Criteria in what makes a good vehicle may be different than others. 100K mileage or more doesn't scare me if I can tell the vehicle is mechanically sound. I don't believe it makes any difference on where the vehicle comes from: Auction, Fleet Surplus, Private party, or dealer. it's all a used car that anything can happen at any time. Biggest difference I see on some of the good cheap stuff and some of the higher priced stuff is a $200 Detail job.

There is plenty of cheap rusted out junk that shouldn't go anywhere but the junkyard. There is a ton of good stuff and it seems to me there are a lot of killer deals out there. I realize I may be more capable of assessing a vehicle than some other people. So I might be more comfortable looking at a cheaper van than someone else. I would think someone not mechanically inclined paying a trusted mechanic to inspect a few vehicles before a purchase could save a ton of money.

I'd like to hear other people's thoughts or theories and why prices can vary so widely.

Thank you for this post.  It is a shame that there aren't more people like you around to help people, especially people who are financially strapped and need a van to live in.  You would make a great advocate for many people.   Now if there was just a way for you to spend your time traveling and helping people buy used vans the world would be a better place.  I scan ads constantly and think, "You want how much for that???" and shaking my head in disgust.

Van on 66 said:
Thank you for this post.  It is a shame that there aren't more people like you around to help people, especially people who are financially strapped and need a van to live in.  You would make a great advocate for many people.   Now if there was just a way for you to spend your time traveling and helping people buy used vans the world would be a better place.  I scan ads constantly and think, "You want how much for that???" and shaking my head in disgust.

New line of mobile income. Mobile vehicle appraiser

People could contact you with what they're looking for, contract with you to buy a van fitting their criteria, and then work out arrangements to either pick up the van from you or have it delivered to them, meet half way,etc. just an idea for members on here.

Dgorila1 said:
People could contact you with what they're looking for, contract with you to buy a van fitting their criteria, and then work out arrangements to either pick up the van from you or have it delivered to them, meet half way,etc. just an idea for members on here.

Most definitely. I've seen other members on here offer to look at vehicles in their area for someone else. I like how the members here are willing to help each other.

mr_elijah_gardner said:
I've seen other members on here offer to look at vehicles in their area for someone else. I like how the members here are willing to help each other.

A recent example of that didn't work out quite so well.

Making a living dealing in cars is a regulated business for good reasons.

I believe there are good people all over the country who could be helpful in helping someone pick out a vehicle.  If you are truly looking for help it is out there.  Too many people are quick to be overly critical of car salesmen. 

The reason minivans have become cheap is because the people who used to buy minivans now want SUV's.  It's all about what's cool at the moment.

Thank you Elijah for letting it be known that there are even good car salesmen.

In my neck of the woods there are a few used dealers that only sell cargo vans and box trucks. I've been looking at used van prices the last year or so and it seems they've all gone up in price considerably. Short supply and high demand. I had an 03 Chevy Express that I sold in 2010 for $4500. It had 98k on it. My dad was the original owner. At the time I was lucky I got that, it took forever to sell. Had I kept it, I think I could have sold it for nearly the same today based on a lot of prices i'm seeing.

A family friend just got a used car license, he's been buying/selling/fixing cars his entire life and would run them through his friends lot. Now that he has his own, he told me I could go anytime. So I'm going to tag along with him one of these days just to see what sells and for how much. Last auction I was at was one I worked at in High School. All the local dealers would sent their trade in's through this outfit. I wanted to buy half the cars that went down the line back then. Employees weren't allowed to purchase them.

Every Road Leads Home said:
In my neck of the woods there are a few used dealers that only sell cargo vans and box trucks.  I've been looking at used van prices the last year or so and it seems they've all gone up in price considerably.  Short supply and high demand.  I had an 03 Chevy Express that I sold in 2010 for $4500.  It had 98k on it.  My dad was the original owner.  At the time I was lucky I got that, it took forever to sell.  Had I kept it, I think I could have sold it for nearly the same today based on a lot of prices i'm seeing.  

A family friend just got a used car license, he's been buying/selling/fixing cars his entire life and would run them through his friends lot.  Now that he has his own, he told me I could go anytime.  So I'm going to tag along with him one of these days just to see what sells and for how much.  Last auction I was at was one I worked at in High School.  All the local dealers would sent their trade in's through this outfit.  I wanted to buy half the cars that went down the line back then.  Employees weren't allowed to purchase them.

Speciality lots if they are reputable will have a customer base to be able to sell specific vehicles. We have a lot around here that sell cargo vans and utility vehicles. I see a lot of the same stuff sitting for a long time but I imagine he does enough business to keep the doors open and make it worth his while.

A friend of family would be great to let you tag along to auction. A Lot of trades are run through the auctions around here. Everywhere is different on the regulations on who can bid. Some places have to register people as car salesmen to allow them the ability to bid. Other places just sign a piece of paper at the auction house. Worse case your friend raises his hand on your behalf. I would recommend going and just watching a couple of times before trying to jump in and bid. You're going to want a good understanding of the rules of the auction and get a feel for the place and the stuff that runs through it.