van modifications

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

billybob200138

Reaction score
Hello fellow members of the van dwellers tribe. I have been working on my Astro van for the last two days. I painted the top of my dark blue van with elastic white paint. Not sure of the spelling. It's the paint that cools the inside of the van? Anyway I bought it for about $20 at Wal-Mart Mart while Amazon wanted $43 and change. Big price difference. I feel the results of painting the roof already. It's lotsss cooler!!   Also the bed in My van , the back half raised up so you could sit on it like a sofa and access the plastic totes underneath it , I fixed the front half so  it would do the same, let me access the totes  underneath it.I;m happy with it, So be happy everybody and most of al?    Live free!!            HoboJoe

I did the top of our van with white roof coating and in a couple months it was pealing, taking paint off down to the primer. I'm guessing if I scape it all off to the primer and give it a bit of sanding it might stick. 
Hope yours holds up better.

bindi&us said:
I did the top of our van with white roof coating and in a couple months it was pealing, taking paint off down to the primer. I'm guessing if I scape it all off to the primer and give it a bit of sanding it might stick. 
Hope yours holds up better.

On a lot of vans, the undercoat is the problem.  Paint just won't stick to it over time.  On mine, it is powdery where the paint has come off.  Every reputable paint shop has told me that it would need to be stripped to bare metal to correct the issues.

I'm lucky, mine's not too bad...