Van Living Supplies Checklist

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MA-Rider

Reaction score
I have searched the site for a Van Living Checklist and did not find any "comprehensive" ones.  I have always found check lists helpful when going camping or for motorcycle travel.  I know that no list can cover everything, or address everyones varying needs, but this is meant a starting point.  Some items are optional, but that is up to each person to decide as to what they do or do not need.
Please let me know what items I have missed and I will try to go back and edit this list.
Thanks.
Jan

VAN LIVING SUPPLIES CHECKLIST

1. VAN FURNISHINGS
Bed / Mattress
Bedding / Sleeping Bag / Pillow
Storage Containers / Bags
Window Coverings (Reflectix / Curtains)
Window Screens
Folding Chair
Folding Table
12 Volt Fan
Heater / Fuel

2. KITCHEN
Water Containers
Stove / Fuel
Pots / Pans
Plates / Bowls
Cups  / Mugs
Utensils
Knife
Cutting Board
Cooler / Refrigerator
Tupperware
Trash Bags
Aluminum Foil
Zip lock bags
Hot Pads / Gloves
Water Hose / Water Theif
Water Treatment / Water Filter

3. COOKING STAPLES
Coffee / Tea
Sugar
Salt / Pepper / Spices
Cooking Oil

4. KITCHEN CLEANING
Wash Basin
Biodegradable Soap or other cleaning materials / Sponge
Spray Bottle
Paper Towels
Sink / Faucet / Pump / Grey Water Tank

5. BATHROOM
Pee Container
Porable Toilet / Duty Bags / TP
Wet Wipes
Wash Basin
Biodegradable Soap or other cleansing materials
Toiletries (Tooth Brush / Tooth Paste Etc...)
Towels / Wash Cloths
Portanble Shower / Shower Enclosure

6. CLOTHING
Warm Weather Clothes
Cold Weather Clothes
Rain Gear
Shoes / Boots

7. ELECTRICAL
Lights (Head lamp / Flashlight / Solar Light)
Electronics
Chargers
Batteries
Spare fuses
Emergency Battery Charger
Deep Cycle Battery
Inverter
Solar

8. MISCELLANEOUS
Bug Spray
Sun Screen
Sunglasses
Bungee Cords
Tie Down Straps
First Aid Kit
Tools
Overhead Cargo Net
Duct Tape
Tarps
Rope / Paracord
Clothes Pins
Bear Spray
Books / Radio / Entertainment
Maps / GPS
Spare Keys
Hammock
Binoculars

Not bad for a start but I have to take exception to a couple of items.

That water thief is a no-no...if somebody has fixed a tap so that you can't draw water from it, it's so you can't draw water from it. That makes if theft if you're doing so. Don't do it. Go find someplace where you can.

OR find a way of getting water that doesn't involve use of the water thief. For example, I was in a National Forest campground where there was a water fountain with a tap below it that had the faucet removed. Instead of using a water thief I simply held the water jug under the fountain and filled the jug. Had the jug not fit, I was prepared to use a plastic container that WOULD fit. A little creativity and I didn't have to resort to doing something that the park clearly didn't want used.

If you're not using a water thief you don't need to carry a hose either.

Next up is the water treatment/ filter...very necessary if you're going interior or remote camping and have to use lake/river water. But totally unnecessary for anyone living in their vehicle. In all my years of living on the road I have never had to filter or treat any of the water I've used. That said my filter is sitting in my backpacking gear ready for the next interior camping trip.

Some of those with RV's carry a filter but that's personal preference for their drinking water, not to prevent illness caused by drinking water drawn for natural sources.

I don't understand "emergency" battery charger.

House batteries need recharging to Full, dino juice won't cut it unless driving more than 4+ hours. Solar alone is fine sometimes, but rarely if loads are heavy.

If by "chargers" you mean AC bricks & wall warts, just get plugs and DC converters, inefficient to use an inverter for DC loads.

Nothing else on the list seems to require an inverter.

John61CT said:
I don't understand "emergency" battery charger.

House batteries need recharging to Full, dino juice won't cut it unless driving more than 4+ hours. Solar alone is fine sometimes, but rarely if loads are heavy.

If by "chargers" you mean AC bricks & wall warts, just get plugs and DC converters, inefficient to use an inverter for DC loads.

Nothing else on the list seems to require an inverter.

This whole Electric category sure opens a can of worms :s .   At minimum most people need a way to charge their cell phones and other electronics. What are the options?
1.  Charge devices from the van 12 volt outlet with a usb adapter. (Some recommend an emergency back up battery to start the van if the starting battery is accidently run down when charging electronics while the motor is not running).
2.  Add a house deep cycle battery which is charged by the van alternator.
3.  Add a generator and/or solar.
4.  Other options?
I agree that invertors should be avoided if possible due to their inefficiency, but many folks seem to use them.
Thanks for the feedback.

MA-Rider said:
This whole Electric category sure opens a can of worms :s .   At minimum most people need a way to charge their cell phones and other electronics. What are the options?
Indeed. Pocket screens are do-able single-battery with frequent driving, but not a nice hi-fi.

Vent fans are very common, a fridge takes a lot of juice.

Some think they want to run air con off batteries for many hours, large screen TV, satellite reception, mobile internet, gaming PCs, winches.

I couldn't find SternWake's AH vs loads table graphic, someone else have a link handy?

Ventilation, awnings, kitchen gear and propane also have their complexities.

Buildout infrastructure: insulation, lighting & outlets (12V, USB), plumbing, toilet, bed platform vs seating, shelving/cabinets, chuckbox.

You might need to edit that list just slightly. I don't think I could fit all that in my extended length high top van much less a minvan. Maybe cut some of the kitchen stuff. A fry pan and one pot, no cutting board. Try to find things that work double duty. Water jug into portable shower, bungee cord as close line, you get the idea. You need room to move around in bad weather.

My list is a little different. Man, I have more stuff than I thought I did.

1. VAN FURNISHINGS
Bed / Mattress
Bedding / Sleeping Bag / Pillow
Storage Containers / Bags
Window Coverings (Reflectix / Curtains)
Folding Chair
Folding Table
12 Volt Fan
Heater / Fuel

2. KITCHEN
Water Containers
Stove / Fuel (see above)
Pot / Pan (singular)
Plate / Bowl (singular)
Mug (singular)
Measuring Cup
Utensils
Knife
Cutting Board
Refrigerator
Trash Bags
Aluminum Foil
Zip lock bags

3. COOKING STAPLES
Salt / Pepper / Spices / Salsa
Cooking Oil

4. KITCHEN CLEANING
Wash Basin (large salad bowl)
Other cleaning materials / Sponge
Spray Bottle
Paper Towels

5. BATHROOM
Pee Container
5 gal. bucket / trash bags / TP
Wet Wipes
Hand Sanitizer
Wash Basin (same as above)
Other cleansing materials (see above)
Toiletries (Tooth Brush / Tooth Paste Etc...)
Towel

6. CLOTHING
Warm Weather Clothes
Cold Weather Clothes (but far fewer than warm weather clothes)
Umbrella
Shoes
Hats

7. ELECTRICAL
Lights (Head lamp / Flashlight / Solar Light)
Electronics
Chargers
Batteries
Spare fuses
Emergency Battery Charger
Deep Cycle Batteries
Inverter
Voltage Meter
Solar

8. MISCELLANEOUS
Bug Spray
Sunglasses
Bungee Cords
Tie Down Straps
First Aid Kit
Tools
Tow Strap
Duct Tape
Tarp
Stakes
Sledge hammer
Poles
Paracord
Twine
Whisk Broom
Scissors
eBooks / Internet
Maps / GPS
Spare Keys
Binoculars
Motor oil
Wiper blades
Walking stick
Shovel
Pens / Pencils / Paper

Good list. Worthy of a sticky.
I'm in a Honda Odyssey and carry most of what's on your list.

ADD-
- Qt. or two of Oil, gallon of antifreeze, fix-a-flat, spare bulbs. Make sure you got a good spare tire.
-Any tool specific for your van. My trans. requires a extra long and extra skinny funnel and a 18" socket extension to reach the fill bolt.
- List of Emergency phone numbers and medical info(allergies, etc.) and contacts. Cell phones hold a lot of info, but are useless in a situation where you are incapacitated. A lost phone could leave you hopelessly trying to contact friends or family (who memorizes phone numbers anymore??). Carry a list in your wallet and one in the glove box.

MA-Rider said:
This whole Electric category sure opens a can of worms.
<-------->
(Some recommend an emergency back up battery to start the van if the starting battery is accidently run down when charging electronics while the motor is not running).
2.  Add a house deep cycle battery which is charged by the van alternator.
<-------->
4.  Other options?
My old class A had a start battery, and two Trojan T-105 house batteries. It also had a heavy duty rotary switch mounted on the dash that allowed choices of using only the start battery, the house batteries, both sets, or all off. The switch was similar to the one in this link, http://www.go2marine.com/product/15...eries-battery-switch-selector-4-position.html
This switch actually saved my bacon one day when my start battery was dead. I turned the switch to the both position and fired that 454 right up. :)
Shortly after, I bought all new batteries.
 I intend (eventually) to incorporate something similar to this in my van build.
Meanwhile, just thought I'd throw that out there as an option.

Better IMO is one of the (many) automated solutions, AKA isolators, ignition relay/solenoids, LVD, combiners, ACR or VSR all the way up to DC-DC chargers.

Automatically charge both Starter and House batteries/banks, but make sure to keep them isolated when no charge, stop Starter getting discharged as House is being drawn down.

Too easy to forget a manual 1/2/Both switch and leave it in the wrong position. Many of the above have a 'self-jumping' combine override switch built in.

So many ways to skin that cat, detailed discussion deserves its own thread, just call it "isolator/combiner" as a generic placeholder for The List.

John61CT said:
Better IMO is one of the (many) automated solutions, AKA isolators, ignition relay/solenoids, LVD, combiners, ACR or VSR all the way up to DC-DC chargers.

Automatically charge both Starter and House batteries/banks, but make sure to keep them isolated when no charge, stop Starter getting discharged as House is being drawn down.

I prefer the old fashion way of leaving the computers out of the loop. What do you do when your computerized switch malfunctions?

Switches fail too.

Very few of these categories have much intelligence.

But even with a dumb solenoid wired to ignition, it's worth asking what state failure will leave it in.

But whether stuck combined or open, really NBD, in the end exactly the same as what happens when you forget and leave your manual switch in the "wrong" position for the current context.

Key with any tech is understanding it, and thinking things through. Some people enjoy the process.

Definitely a good idea to stay within your comfort zone if you don't want to learn new stuff though.

John61CT said:
Switches fail too.
<-------->
Key with any tech is understanding it, and thinking things through. Some people enjoy the process.

Definitely a good idea to stay within your comfort zone if you don't want to learn new stuff though.

I can be fairly "techy" if I want to. 25 years of being a slot technician has also taught me to appreciate and use the k.i.s.s. method.