Van insurance - Commercial vs regular

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jacksonricher

Reaction score
I recieved my van plates, tags, and registration today and my van is registered as a commercial van.

Is there any difference between comm. and regular car/van insurance? This was a factory passenger van. If that makes any difference. I do not plan to register it as a RV.

Thanks for untangeling my crazy mind thoughts late at nite when really tired.

Jackson

Lots more expensive.

How did you get commercial without knowing?

I was stupid and not paying attention I don't know. It was expensive but there were also late fee's so I just didn't ask.

It was previously a commercial van on lease and the lease ended and was bought out thinking he was going to continue, he didn't and then it was given to me. Long story but next time I will change it or sooner if I need too.

Go back to motor vehicle and cry on the counter. It will be worth lower insurance costs.

In Montana there are no commercial vehicles unless you make money off of it. If you deliver pizzas in a Geo Metro, it's supposed to have commercial insurance. If you use a Semi to tow a trailer to travel and you don't make money with it, it isn't a commercial vehicle.

Fed DOT may have something to say though.

Theoretical laws are one thing, constantly getting harassed by inspectors is another.

I met a guy trying to live out of a "tiny home" set up inside a shipping container. Every time he tried to travel he would get stopped. He was trying to decide whether to just convert everything to commercial, or go with a more mainstream RV rig.

John61CT, good point. When I was driving truck, often I drove a large Freightlinger with a 28 foot box that was not a commercial rig, but I got stopped a lot anyway. A commercial rig can be stopped for any reason; probably cause isn't required. Motor Carrier Safety law enforcement officers routinely check for dyed diesel, weight, license, registration, insurance, tires, etc. When I got pulled over in that truck and they realized I was 26,000 pounds, they let me go right away every time. (26,001 is the cut-off point for a commercial vehicle that puts it into another legal category that has a lot more rules and legal scrutiny.) Since I drove the same route daily, they came to recognize me and wouldn't pull me over. If I were driving in a different area, I would expect to have been pulled over much more.

Anyone driving a rig that looks commercial should expect to get pulled over quite a bit.