Van feels wobbly after getting an alignment

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pseudo_mccoy

Reaction score
I got an alignment in Denver about a week ago. Driving away from the shop I noticed two things. First, there's this slight jiggle whenever I make a turn. Nothing huge, but enough to notice. Second, on the interstate, I heard a rapid clicking noise. Turned out the sound was because the shop failed to reattach a rubber skirt (idk if that's what you call it) above one of the front tires.

If they forgot to put the skirt back, maybe they forgot to tighten/fasten something more important? I've put over a thousand miles on it since then, so i'm thinking the wheels would have fallen off by now if it was serious.

Any input would be well appricated.

is this a 2wd or 4wd? what type of vehicle? regardless of what it is you should not feel a jiggle when you turn, well on most vehicles. take it back immediately. if they tell you "well you need this or that" ask the service manager why they charged you for an alignment when you had a bad part and basically they could not do an alignment. this is very common. hold them to the fact that they did an alignment and charged you for it and now they are saying that you need more repairs to do an alignment. I hate it when shops pull sh*t like this. anyway give us some more info. highdesertranger

What reason, if any, prompted you to get it aligned?
I would run my flat hand over both sides of tires looking for a bulge on sidewalls. This would explain the jiggle.Or a slightly bent wheel.
When going down road does vehicle stay straight if you let go of steering wheel? If not your alignment was'nt done right. It will "pull" one way or another and also chew up your tires.
Double check that lug nuts are tight too and that wheel is "seated" properly against wheel hub.
Lastly, put a smile on your face and take it back to shop and they'll take a look. Something is'nt right and should be looked at.
Good Luck!

Thanks for the guidance, everyone. I have very little mechanical experience.

@highdesertranger – It's a 2wd, 2004 Chevy express 2500.

When I said I've gone over a thousand miles, I meant in one direction. Can't go back now. Well, not to that shop. What do you think my chances are of getting it fixed at a different shop within the same franchise?

highdesertranger said:
if they tell you "well you need this or that" ask the service manager why they charged you for an alignment when you had a bad part and basically they could not do an alignment. this is very common. hold them to the fact that they did an alignment and charged you for it and now they are saying that you need more repairs to do an alignment.

Woah o_O That's dirty. I probably would have fallen for it too. I'll keep this in mind going forward.

@DC Fuse – I took it in because my front two tires were significantly worn on the outside edges. I replaced them with new ones a day before getting the alignment. Didn't want them wearing down like the old ones. The wheels seem ok.

DC Fuse said:
When going down road does vehicle stay straight if you let go of steering wheel?

Ok, so when I bought the van (less than a year ago) it had a decent pull to one side. Then I hit a curb (not super hard) few weeks ago and the pull disappeared. After shelling out for new tires, I figured i'd get it properly aligned to be safe.

I'll check lug nuts and how well the wheel is seated a little later... after I google what a wheel hub is.

Again, thank you all. It's good to know the Mechanical Issues sub has my back.

if this was done at a franchise shop, then YES, you should be able to take it in for a proper analysis.
I'd write up a formal complaint against the original shop too.