Van Dweller - The NOT to do list...

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

UmpquaTim

Reaction score
Has anyone posted a list of things that van dwellers should NOT do.  Either serious or humorous?  

Example:  Do not steam Brussels sprouts in your van.  Or more serious... Do not open your Thetford after driving through elevations without first "burping."

I've seen a variety of "How To's" but to me, this is just as helpful (and entertaining)

-T

dont have a thetford...unless you love the smell of raw sewage mixed with a hint of potpourri formaldehyde solution

Hmm, not a bad idea at all. I'm sure we could each come up with some serious lists of Don'ts if we tried.

The vast majority of the don'ts are just going to be refinements of the general rule "Don't make a nuisance of yourself!".

UmpquaTim said:
  Or more serious... Do not open your Thetford after driving through elevations without first "burping."
Hmm, good one. I'm betting most here (including myself) have not thought about that. That could be ugly. :p

bardo said:
dont have a thetford...unless you love the smell of raw sewage mixed with a hint of potpourri formaldehyde solution

Reminds me of Lieutenant Colonel Bill Kilgore in Apocalypse Now...  "I love the smell of raw mixed raw sewage in the morning."

Do NOT pull into the Walmart, park sideways in three parking spaces, and leave the side door open with the radio blasting while you sit outside on a lawn chair drinking beers all night.

I've seen it done.

sephson said:
The vast majority of the don'ts are just going to be refinements of the general rule "Don't make a nuisance of yourself!".

That is indeed the Golden Rule.

Most van-dwellers who get trouble, generally bring it on themselves by doing something stupid.

Sadly, they also manage to bring trouble onto the rest of us as well, and we end up paying for their stupidness.

:(

Don't mix your poo bags with construction waste which your boss may later hand-sort. Ask me how I know.

lenny flank said:
That is indeed the Golden Rule.

Most van-dwellers who get trouble, generally bring it on themselves by doing something stupid.

Sadly, they also manage to bring trouble onto the rest of us as well, and we end up paying for their stupidness.

:(

So, the DBAD rule/mantra applies the list too... "Don't be a dick." in addition to "Don't make a nuisance of yourself."  :)

Seems like sound advice.

Don't camp at Walmart.

Don't run your generator at night.

Don't be a jerk.

UmpquaTim said:
Has anyone posted a list of things that van dwellers should NOT do.  Either serious or humorous? 

Well, since we all have to drive, and possibly interact with the police, it might be a good idea to review comedian Chris Rock's advice on How Not To Get Your Ass Kicked By The Police.

4 minute Youtube video.  Hilarious.

Don't try to pet the wildlife. Esp the black & white ones that sort of look like kitties.

As an aside, one of my neighbors had a pet skunk named Petunia. She was the sweetest critter I ever saw, and loved to curl up in people's laps. Since she had been around humans ever since she was born, she viewed us as odd-looking "skunks", so even though she was not de-scented she was fine around people--skunks don't spray other skunks.

Don't leave your TP for others to pick up. I was at a free campground a couple of months ago that did not have a toilet even though the description on the FS site said it did. A long wide ditch ran through the middle of the campground. There was so much TP in the ditch it looked like it had snowed. No "solids" so I know it was left by girls. I wish I could say to the perpetrators "I would expect this from beer-drinking belly-scratchers who don't get out much (no one here) but come on ladies, how hard is it to pick up 10 squares of tissue!"

Dream True said:
 No "solids" so I know it was left by girls. I wish I could say to the perpetrators "I would expect this from beer-drinking belly-scratchers who don't get out much (no one here) but come on ladies, how hard is it to pick up 10 squares of tissue!"

Unfortunately, because I grew up with situations where a LOT of time was spent in the woods (hunting/fishing/camping/etc.) and certain trees became designated as the "restroom"; I have to mention that in nature "solids" can break down quickly to look like dark soil in only about a day; so men could be equally responsible ....

Tires are the most important things. Do not let them get too far worn before replacing. Read somewhere that 90% of flats occur within the last, 10% of tread. Start looking for a bargain before you need them. Could save a lot of money this way. FYI, Walmart will liquidate discontinued models at great prices. Just this summer they were liquidating Bridgestone Ecopia 17 inch tires for $30-35. Of course you have to be looking and fast. I could have gotten three at another store within 50 miles but didn't need them. There are also deals on their website from time to time that you can get sent to the nearest store or price matched there if they have it in stock. Insider tip, order the tire online, this will take a week to deliver. Go to the tire center and order the same tire there. They usually have next day delivery from the local tire distributor. Cancel online order and get price adjusted at the same time when you order the tires in store, telling them of price adjustment. I expect allot of Xmas presents from all of you who save some serious money. Lol. I paid around half price when I put 4 new Nexen 80k rated tires for under $90 each. And get the tire warranty, well worth it. And they have been great and smooth except for one flat from a nail. Nearest Walmart replaced it for free due to no wear on it. Prorated warranty of course.