Van choices: Out of these choices which would appeal to you?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

One Awesome Inch

Reaction score
In my continued quest to learn about how to get a decent van please consider the following and share your wisdom.

This one is a 1989 but has the slant 6 and is on propane. 250,000km or about 155,000 miles.
http://vancouver.craigslist.ca/rch/cto/4720836238.html

This one has 200,000 km / 125K miles and is a Dodge Ram 1500 which are supposedly good on gas and some say dodge vans are more reliable than Chevy or Ford: http://vancouver.craigslist.ca/rds/cto/4728498462.html

This one is a 97 Dodge Ram 2500 No mileage listed... says rebuilt.
http://vancouver.craigslist.ca/pml/cto/4722374914.html

97 Ford e250 $1500 256K kilometres
http://vancouver.craigslist.ca/rds/cto/4731324072.html

Which 2 would appeal to you most and why?

1989 Dodge - too old, and propane? I'm not ready for that.
1998 Dodge - looks ok.
1997 Dodge B250 - I don't like unknown rebuilt engines
1997 Ford - price is right

But I don't know nothing.

Personally I would avoid propane at all costs. It's expensive, has less BTUs than gasoline, gets far worse mileage, and it hard to locate on the road.

Stick with gasoline or diesel.

Thanks for the replies guys!

So far I am liking the 98 dodge 1500 best. Low-ish kilometres, and a bit cheaper on gas.

I would only consider the propane if swapping back to gasoline was the plan. Or if it's a dual fuel system. That 300 six is a well respected engine. (It's not the "slant six" though) It should be clean inside due to propane use.

I have been reading about chevy vs dodge vs ford vans and from what I can tell Dodge is definitely the least preferred. Hmmm....

I don't really think there's much difference in the big three.

Your talking 15 yrs. old....

No Ford, 1989 or else, ever had a 'slant six'. Though the 300ci straight six was a good motor, I really prefer a larger V8 for a heavy camper, especially if one expects to be towing.

Looking at them all, the 1997 Ford long body is the one that catches my eye. The double-wall body is stronger than Dodge's single wall without horizontal ribs, though the Dodge would be easier to insulate. But the Dodge is too short. You'd give up a lot of storage space.

Personally, unless that's the max of your budget and you're in a hurry to get a van, I'd hold off on all of them. I think you can do better.

It took me better than six months of serious looking and a while before that of looking occasionally, to find a really good deal.

If it's an absolute must that you pick one of the 4, go with the Ford E250.

Expand your search area out of the Surrey area and you're more likely to find a better bargain. I looked as far away as 4 hours driving time on more than one occasion and finally found my 'that one is MINE' 3 hours away.

Almost There said:
Personally, unless that's the max of your budget and you're in a hurry to get a van, I'd hold off on all of them. I think you can do better.

It took me better than six months of serious looking and a while before that of looking occasionally, to find a really good deal.

If it's an absolute must that you pick one of the 4, go with the Ford E250.

Expand your search area out of the Surrey area and you're more likely to find a better bargain. I looked as far away as 4 hours driving time on more than one occasion and finally found my 'that one is MINE' 3 hours away.

I would have to agree, except I would choose the 1998 Dodge Ram if I had to choose.

I also like this Savana for $3500 (hopefully could talk him down a couple hundred). It has 206,000 kilometres:
http://vancouver.craigslist.ca/rds/cto/4752666368.html

This G2500 looks appealing as it has new brake work and new transmission in 2013. 303K km is going a bit out of my comfort zone though.

That 97 Ford does seem like a good price and hopefully thats do to a rough-ish body, the least of my concerns, and not mechanical or wear issues.

One thing I would prefer if possible is a smaller engine like the e150, chev 1500 or dodge 1500. I plan to do the interior build as light as possible with plastic drawers instead of wood etc to save on weight.... and fuel costs.

My total savings is $5000 and that includes van, van build costs and as much as possible for emergency savings.

G2500 here http://vancouver.craigslist.ca/rds/cto/4724165667.html

LeeRevell said:
No Ford, 1989 or else, ever had a 'slant six'. Though the 300ci straight six was a good motor, I really prefer a larger V8 for a heavy camper, especially if one expects to be towing.

Looking at them all, the 1997 Ford long body is the one that catches my eye. The double-wall body is stronger than Dodge's single wall without horizontal ribs, though the Dodge would be easier to insulate. But the Dodge is too short. You'd give up a lot of storage space.

I meant to say straight six not slant six. A shorter body (with less fuel costs) doesnt concern me as I will be keeping things on the minimal side. I almost went the Astro van route... (and still think about it!).

One Awesome Inch said:
I also like this Savana for $3500 (hopefully could talk him down a couple hundred). It has 206,000 kilometres:
http://vancouver.craigslist.ca/rds/cto/4752666368.html

This G2500 looks appealing as it has new brake work and new transmission in 2013. 303K km is going a bit out of my comfort zone though.

My total savings is $5000 and that includes van, van build costs and as much as possible for emergency savings.

G2500 here http://vancouver.craigslist.ca/rds/cto/4724165667.html

Ok, we're both in Canada so we'll both talk in the same language just different auto markets.

6 weeks ago I paid $3,500. for a 2002 Savana G2500 with the high top already installed, heavy duty towing package, electric brakes for towing and a few other toys of questionable value. Mileage at time of purchase was 100,352 KM.

I probably could have struck a better bargain. They said yes to my offer too easily...:rolleyes: but I'll never know now!

The brake lines throughout had just been done and it passed certification with nothing more than a pair of windshield wipers and a length of washer hose required.

It had been owned since brand new by one retiree and used for towing his Airstream to Florida and back and other trips.

Yes, the first thing it needs is new tires and a few days in the hands of my favourite body repair guy...I've budgeted a grand for each of those.

My point is, keep shopping...there's better deals out there. You may never match mine but I get the impression that you're getting antsy...I know the feeling all to well.

Start looking outside the greater Vancouver area. It's just like housing prices...downtown Vancouver you'll never be able to afford to buy, go a hundred miles out of town and you can live like a king.

One Awesome Inch said:
I almost went the Astro van route... (and still think about it!).

I missed this part....don't do it!!

I'm 5' tall and lived full-time in an Astro for way too long...it wasn't by choice btw.

It was fine for weekend camping for one short person who is a minimalist at heart but for anything more than that...never again.

I'd rather take the lower gas mileage and be comfortable than do that.

Even when you're roughing it a certain amount of comfort is vital.

That is a steal of a deal! 100K km for $3500? Wow. As you may know everything in Vancouver is expensive. A van like that here would be $5000 easily up to $10,000 maybe.

I do think $3500 for that Savana I linked above with 206K km is a reasonable value. Ideally I'd want to talk him down to $3000.

I am looking within a one hour or two hour drive time. The next biggest populated area is Victoria and with the Ferry fees is just not feasilable.

But thanks for the tip! I need all the help I can get figuring this stuff out.

Almost There said:
I missed this part....don't do it!!

I'm 5' tall and lived full-time in an Astro for way too long...it wasn't by choice btw.

It was fine for weekend camping for one short person who is a minimalist at heart but for anything more than that...never again.

I'd rather take the lower gas mileage and be comfortable than do that.

Even when you're roughing it a certain amount of comfort is vital.

Good point! I'm a minimalist but still have some music gear (4 large-ish speaker cabs) that I need to haul around that will take up a bit of room. Pretty sure I could squeeze them all under a 30x72 bed... or stack them. Ultimately, I opted out of the Astro route because, as you rightfully point out, comfort will be a huge advantage of a full size van. Plus, the mpg of the Astro is lousy and I'll likely only save 3 or so MPG over the full size van.

It was just luck that I found that van. It had been posted on Friday morning and by the time I found it on Kijiji Saturday afternoon it was already on page 7. Most no one goes back that far in the listings. Apparently most of the dealers here do up their listing Friday afternoon so it had been pushed way, way back.

I *was* getting kinda discouraged. I'd been looking for 6 months and was about ready to give up until spring. I phoned them, held my breath til I found out that it was still for sale...I hadn't realized at that point that the listing was only 24 hours old. I drove up the next day to look at it. I took a grand in cash with me and a bill of sale that I had printed off the internet that was province specific.

I found out that doing a search by brand name was more productive than anything else. I also found that I was having to search all three major sources for listings. Sellers seem to have their own favourites.

Here's a couple more you might not have seen.

http://vancouver.craigslist.ca/bnc/cto/4770856635.html

http://www.kijiji.ca/v-cars-trucks/...an/1032251834?enableSearchNavigationFlag=true

Keep looking, your van *will* fall into your lap when it's ready and not before!

One Awesome Inch said:
I have been reading about chevy vs dodge vs ford vans and from what I can tell Dodge is definitely the least preferred. Hmmm....
The older dodges were well known for their automatic transmissions being crap. I think they got it figured out though.

If the Dodge has the 318 engine then I would choose it. That engine is bullet proof.....always has been since the 60s. I'm looking at one right now that has about 90K miles and is selling for $1000 because of certain circumstances the buyer is very motivated to sell. Originally they wanted $1800.

"Rebuilds" are fine IF they have the RECEIPTS. Go with remanufactured instead of rebuilt. The receipts also need to indicate new water pump, new starter, etc.

A rebuilt motor will have some old parts inside of it if they are still within certain tolerances- like the oil pump. A reman replaces all parts regardless. Some people call an engine "rebuilt" when the pistons were only re-ringed.

The Ford 300 6 cylinder has a good reputation. I do much of my own mechanicing and found that engine to be great to work on. You have lots of room, which is a factor in a van. I've owned a 300 6 cylinder 1 ton Ford. Excellent low end torque, but not as good on the highway. The mileage wasn't much better than a V8, so I prefer the V8's. I would go with the 300 if I weren't hauling weight. I really, really liked mine. UPS at one time used them in their fleet step vans.

The other Ford van said only V8. I wouldn't go with a 460 despite them being a long lasting motor with lots of parts available. It is physically big and very hard to work on in a van and it gets poor mileage. I had a car salesman tell me he goes with the large engines like that because they have to work less while the smaller motors get the same mileage because they have to work harder. If you're pulling an 8-horse trailer, then yeah, otherwise, no.

I have zero first hand experience with Dodge, but have heard lots and lots of good about the 318. Except for a friend who had a Durango and couldn't figure out what the problem was with his engine. It had coils on each cylinder and two of them burnt out because he put in Autolite spark plugs instead of the original equipment Champion. The specifications were so exact for that engine, that it required a specific spark plug. It was an expensive lesson. A $70 tune up cost him several hundred dollars and the hassle of trying to figure it out, then having to have it towed to a mechanic who had seen that problem before.

One of the best vehicles I owned was a Dodge Ram pickup. I don't remember the year---late 80's I think. It had a manual transmission, though. Only thing I didn't like about it was that, when I pulled the seat forward close enough to drive, the gear shift handle would hit the seat in second gear.