Van choices: Out of these choices which would appeal to you?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The 300 six is a bullet proof motor. I had an 88 f150 with a lift kit and 35" tires that I showed no mercy to. Even delivered furniture with it. When I sold it (with over 200k miles on it) it started up just like the day I got it. Problem is gas mileage sucks. Canine is right about ups. I did business with a junk yard that bought every local ups truck motor they had. Ups replaced all the inline six cylinders with v-6 motors because thy got 2 mpg more than the I-6. A very dependable engine for sure.

I had an F150 with a 300 and 4 speed manual and it got a steady 19-20 MPG on the road. I think the big-tires probably cut your MPG with too high a ratio.
Bob

I think I found one worth actually checking out in person.

Its a 99 E150 with 214K km or 132K miles for $2400cdn. V6 4.2 litre.

The body and sliding door are a bit dented up, but he does show pics of the door open so it works. The rest of the body looks fine. Honestly, that kind of stuff I dont really mind. A bit of body damage is no big deal as long as the engine and tranny are strong and its not too old. Looks like a painter's van judging by the contents which I think is good as paint isn't that heavy and should not be too hard on the tranny compared to something like an air conditioning company.

Now to write up my list of questions and annoy the heck out of him!

I'd love to see a copy of your list of questions. I'd add it to my own list that I've compiled from here and internet research. My list is mostly what to do/what to look at when test driving. I don't have any questions listed for the owner.

Good luck. Maybe it's the ONE.

GypsyChic

two are only 1/2 tons. one is sold. one looks beat. pass on these four

akrvbob said:
I had an F150 with a 300 and 4 speed manual and it got a steady 19-20 MPG on the road. I think the big-tires probably cut your MPG with too high a ratio.
Bob
That is an amazing mpg. I got mine it had 31" BFG ATs and got almost 14. After the lift it got 12 no matter what I was pulling, hauling, whatever. Nobody I know ever got more than 16 but they were with 4wd and granny low 4 speeds. I know there were overdrive 4 speeds out there. that probably got good mileage though.

The 300-6 in an F150 is easily able to get 20 mpg with a 4 speed and highway gearing. Same with a van with an automatic. If it didn't I'd start looking for why not.

For sure tall tires, lift kit and 4x4 are going to hurt your MPG.
Bob

So I inquired as to the "status:rebuilt" description in the CL. The seller said that

"It's rebuilt body was hit from front driver panel but engine is in very good strong condition"

The body will always be my least concern when buying a van as the engine, tranny etc are MUCH more important to me. That said, I dont want to buy a junker or a potential problem.

Thoughts?

Don't think I would put 4.2L and "strong" in the same paragraph.

They won't get much better mileage, and are less durable.

I have the 4.2 L V6 in my van and I am happy with it. I have an extra length van with a high top and it has plenty of power, if I floor it it really goes. This V6 has more horsepower than the old 351 V8 from the 1980's. Fuel mileage for me is excellent too, and I tend to feather the gas to get better mileage. You don't have to push the gas very much to get going. These engines can have intake gasket leaking problems though. This happened to me. If it hesitates when accelerating and a check engine light with lean codes, I would suspect this. It can be fixed do it yourself somewhat cheaply with a online guide but you have to be handy. In a shop though expensive to do.

Rey8 said:
I have the 4.2 L V6 in my van and I am happy with it. I have an extra length van with a high top and it has plenty of power, if I floor it it really goes. This V6 has more horsepower than the old 351 V8 from the 1980's. Fuel mileage for me is excellent too, and I tend to feather the gas to get better mileage. You don't have to push the gas very much to get going. These engines can have intake gasket leaking problems though. This happened to me. If it hesitates when accelerating and a check engine light with lean codes, I would suspect this. It can be fixed do it yourself somewhat cheaply with a online guide but you have to be handy. In a shop though expensive to do.
I agree about the frequency of repair. I must ask, are you speaking of the 351 Modified? Surely you must be. The windsor and the cleveland would smoke a 4.2. decent engine, though not a bullet proof 300 I-6.

In the end, I'm happy that you enjoy your van. Be well - Slim.

Forgive my punctuation: this program despises my phone.

I had to check again on the horsepower ratings, I had seen a Canadian rating for the 4.2 of 217 HP which threw me off. The U.S. rating is 202 HP. The 351 Windsor all through the 1980's made 210 horsepower in trucks. The High Output version in police cars made even less than that, about 180 horsepower. So I was off but it is close. My point is that it is similar in power to the older V8's and not as bad as everyone thinks.

The late '70s to mid '80s was a low point for American auto quality and engine power. The early emission controls really dragged them down.

Rey, I would also ask that you remember the "down trodden" HP figures of that era. They may not be accurate, (think insurance). I do, however, agree with you about the comparison. Longevity? ...I'm unclear. Power? Close enough to be approximate. Your point is well made.

Be well - Slim.

Well, I went and checked out that a van.

99 Ford E150

The good:

Engine is in great condition and well looked after. Nice and clean. Oil is clear and not burnt looking... no white residue. The tranny fluid was a good strong red colour.

Van drove very nicely. Steering was nice and tight. Brakes performed well. Transmission shifted smoothly.

The bad:

This van was in a fender bender and the right upper corner panel on the driver's side was rebuilt. Subsequently, the driver door does not close 100% like new. It sticks a bit. The sliding door is a bit dented up but does close properly. The ignition has issues. You have to pull the key out about 1 millimetre in order for the tumblers (?)to allow the key to turn. Took me a few turns to figure out the 'trick' but I got it fairly quickly. So I would either have to get a new 'pre-owned' ignition put in... or just leave it. It actually acts as theft deterrant, in that if you dont know the trick to turn it the thief would not be able to turn the ignition. Ha!

Other than that the van looks good. I think the 213K km (132K miles) is a legit and accurate reading of the km put on the van.

So the seller and I went to transfer ownership but we ran into a problem in that the air care / smog control cert has expired so he has to get that addressed... probably within the next day or two. What's funny is that this whole Air Care program ends and the end of this year... 3 weeks!

So other than a paperwork snafu, you have YOUR van. Congratulations! :D All your hard work and asking questions paid off. Great! How long to get the paperwork dealt with? Look at it this way. You can have a cooling off period after being excited that you found a van. After sleeping on it a few days while the paperwork gets straightened out you will know FOR SURE that you want THIS van :heart: for better or worse, for richer or poorer :p

GypsyChic

One Awesome Inch said:
Well, I went and checked out that a van.

99 Ford E150

The good:

Engine is in great condition and well looked after. Nice and clean. Oil is clear and not burnt looking... no white residue. The tranny fluid was a good strong red colour.

Van drove very nicely. Steering was nice and tight. Brakes performed well. Transmission shifted smoothly.

The bad:

This van was in a fender bender and the right upper corner panel on the driver's side was rebuilt. Subsequently, the driver door does not close 100% like new. It sticks a bit. The sliding door is a bit dented up but does close properly. The ignition has issues. You have to pull the key out about 1 millimetre in order for the tumblers (?)to allow the key to turn. Took me a few turns to figure out the 'trick' but I got it fairly quickly. So I would either have to get a new 'pre-owned' ignition put in... or just leave it. It actually acts as theft deterrant, in that if you dont know the trick to turn it the thief would not be able to turn the ignition. Ha!

Other than that the van looks good. I think the 213K km (132K miles) is a legit and accurate reading of the km put on the van.

So the seller and I went to transfer ownership but we ran into a problem in that the air care / smog control cert has expired so he has to get that addressed... probably within the next day or two. What's funny is that this whole Air Care program ends and the end of this year... 3 weeks!
i had this problem with my minivan. try getting a new key made. seems like it wouldnt work as they are using the old key as the template but it did for me..i guess the shapes were slightly worn away. hey for like 2 bucks worth a shot..

Thank you GypsyChic! Yeah its looking very good. Just gotta get the paperwork done and off I go into build mode. For me the situation is that my marriage is on a sharp decline... and has been for years and years. Its pretty much dead and we both know it, but from past experience its best if I just let things lie low for awhile. If I bring up the topic that could open the flood gates to divorce. I want to have the van mostly ready before then. Right now we are pretty much roommates and if it wasnt for the kids, I'd be long gone.

As to the van, the guy who is selling it is a younger guy.... probably mid twenties. He was using the van for construction work but is now moving onto different work. The van has lots of stuff in the back, mostly junk, but there is a good mitre saw worth probably a couple hundred and some other smaller tools too. He says I can just keep all that stuff. Uh.... okay! I can use that saw instead of renting one and just sell it when I am done. Bonus!

Thanks for the tip on just buying a new key... you are right... its worth a shot. Actually my main concern is that it would hurt re-sale value, not that I would sell it, but when I buy something I like to consider the end game. For me, as long as the ignition turns with little difficulty it should be no problem.

Congratulations, One Awesome Inch! I'm excited for your new adventure to begin! Having my own rig that I could live in has changed my outlook on life and has lowered my stress level significantly. I hope you will reap many positive benefits from your decision.