Van Cargo Matts

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GeorgiePorgie

Reaction score
Is there anything wrong with using pre-made van cargo mats for flooring if you are not going to insulate? It seems like it would be a lot easier than building a floor and - if I understand correctly - not too expensive.

Hope we are allowed to post links. Please delete post if not. This is an example of what I am talking about:

https://bedrug.com/vantred-cargo-mats

George your fine for posting links. you are over the 10 post minimum. highdesertranger

In every van I've ever owned or helped work on, any of the rubber mats over a few years old, when lifted, have been soaked underneath.

The sound deadening material used by all the big 3 mfrs. soaks up water like crazy.

Just a warning if anyone is intent on using the original mats.

I seriously don't recommend laying carpet in a van if you're using it for anything more than the occasional weekend. Carpet absorbs odor, soils easily, is not easy to clean and has to be vacuumed to get the debris out.

Scatter mats that can be shaken out provide comfort and decor along with ease of cleaning.

I recommend vinyl, either sheet flooring or laminate especially for full-timers.

Almost There said:
I seriously don't recommend laying carpet in a van if you're using it for anything more than the occasional weekend. Carpet absorbs odor, soils easily, is not easy to clean and has to be vacuumed to get the debris out.

But it's MUCH better (for me) in a non-high-top van where I have to shuffle around on my knees!

Yeah I had carpet in my old RV and what a pain that was...

{edit:  I don't know why the formatting exploded;  looks fine in the preview and in the source mode}

One of the first things I did in my van was put down a VanTred mat made by the BedRug people.  I am 100% pleased and would do it again.  This INTJ doesn't say "100% pleased" very often.   :)

pre-cut to fit the specific vehicle 
incredibly tough material
legitimately comfortable to sit, crawl, or stand on for hours.  I have a bony butt and have spent much of my build time sitting down on the mat.
only 3/4" tall, so preserves precious vertical space
polypropylene, doesn't absorb water
pre-scored for floor D-rings, if your van has those
bottom is molded to fit floor ribs.  It's firm enough I don't feel where the ribs are
excellent traction
sweeps and vacuums easily.

Caveats:
because of the size and stiffness it will be easier with two people.  I did it myself, climbing around and figuring out where to stand next.  The floor of my van is rather large (over 70 sq feet);  smaller van floors may be trivial for one person.
the vantred is pretty expensive to this cheapskate
the surface is rough, so don't slide across it.  Pick up those knees when you crawl!  I'd say it has the visual texture (but not the abrasiveness) of rough sandpaper or maybe sidewalk concrete.  
I didn't think to cover it with a dropcloth when I started installing insulation, so I have places where I dropped adhesive on it and couldn't get it all up.  Cosmetic issue, but easy to avoid.

My current plans, for what it's worth as a first time campervan builder & near-term dweller, include a VanTred mat as the base layer since it conforms perfectly (hopefully) and then perhaps a 1/2 inch of polyiso for extra insulation topped by lighter colored vinyl flooring. Not using the black VanTred as uppermost layer 'cause I have a predominantly white dog that sheds. Oh does she shed. Did I mention she SHEDS! :)

Almost There said:
In every van I've ever owned or helped work on, any of the rubber mats over a few years old, when lifted, have been soaked underneath.

Which is one more reason I prefer arid climates.

GeorgiePorgie said:
Is there anything wrong with using pre-made van cargo mats for flooring...

My Express cargo van came with a factory-installed rubber mat backed with jute-like stuff. I use a couple of throw rugs over it, no other insulation on the floor. It has worked fine for me, but I avoid cold weather. If my feet get chilly I put on my shoes. The mat sweeps up easily and washing it is simple. I take the rugs out and shake/beat them.

GeorgiePorgie said:
Sorry, I am very new at this. A rubber cargo mat covered with carpet. What kind of foam? The foam is underneath the cargo mat?

Sorry I missed this question.

Yes, on mine, a low roof van, I sealed the floor with paint, then laid foam interlocking tiles as a base layer, then laid a heavy rubber cargo mat over that, then topped that with carpet. Nothing is glued, nothing is screwed. 

It works for me! But it might not work well for someone else. The entire thing is easily removable, but of course, it's not the same idea as a plywood floor that you can attach furnishings and cabinets to. It all depends on what you need or want to do AFTER you lay down some flooring. 

This a picture of the type of foam tiles I'm referring to:

foamtiles.JPG

Attachments

• foamtiles.JPG
    foamtiles.JPG
    58.8 KB · Views: 8

Latest posts