Vagabond priest on the way!

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FatherMatyas

Reaction score
Hi folks! I'm an Orthodox priest who is on his way to living completely on the road. 

After reading "The Ragamuffin Gospel" by Brennan Manning [recommended reading!] and also "The Many Paths of the Independent Sacramental Movement" by John P. Plummer it was clear that a vagabond priest could be a thing. After all it's not unheard of -- all of the Apostles were vagabonds! With the support of my bishop I'm beginning my journey.

You'll see me out and about more and more in the coming years and full-time probably sooner rather than later. Currently director of the Orthodox Community of the Holy Phoenix in Canada, looking to join the community and be available whenever and wherever I'm needed...plus make a whole bunch of friends along the way! :)

Gatherings: LGBT+, trans, Canada, Texas

1eE3cZ6W75qpahig7

Welcome to the CRVL forums! To help you learn the ins and outs of these forums, this "Tips, Tricks and Rules" post lists some helpful information to get you started.

Most of our rules boil down to two simple over-riding principles: 1) What you post should provide good information (like your introductory post), and 2) Any response to someone else's post should make them feel glad they are part of this forum community.

We look forward to hearing more from you.

Welcome! I'm not sure threats of damnation if one doesn't believe is a positive influence but compassion is very welcomed here! Lol!

Best wishes for your journey—the journey of preparation, and the journey of the road, wherever this pilgrimage leads you.

You guys are being mean. Welcome Father M may your roads be smooth and nomads are quirky not really unkind. You sound interesting. I’m a Wicca/Buddhist/Spiritualist so I’m used to being considered crazy. ?
I can do a mean Tarot reading and healings. Love anything spiritual or religious as long as there’s no judgement.

bullfrog said:
Welcome! I'm not sure threats of damnation if one doesn't believe is a positive influence but compassion is very welcomed here! Lol!
So true. That's the thing about nomads, want the destination to be a surprise.
-crofter

landyachtman said:
Welcome to the CRVL forums!  To help you learn the ins and outs of these forums, this "Tips, Tricks and Rules" post lists some helpful information to get you started. 

Most of our rules boil down to two simple over-riding principles: 1) What you post should provide good information (like your introductory post), and 2) Any response to someone else's post should make them feel glad they are part of this forum community.

We look forward to hearing more from you.

Thank you so much for the information. It really helps! :)

StacyK said:
Best wishes for your journey—the journey of preparation, and the journey of the road, wherever this pilgrimage leads you.
Thank you so much, Stacy! Really looking forward to it! :)

LERCA said:
You guys are being mean. Welcome Father M may your roads be smooth and nomads are quirky not really unkind. You sound interesting. I’m a Wicca/Buddhist/Spiritualist so I’m used to being considered crazy. ?
I can do a mean Tarot reading and healings. Love anything spiritual or religious as long as there’s no judgement.

Thank you so much, Lerca. I'm sure everyone is just being welcoming with their humour, is all.

Yeah, I think everyone is spiritual in their own way. Like Asoka said, "It is forbidden to decry other sects [beliefs]. The true believer gives honour to whatever in them is worthy of honour." I prefer to honour the healing and peaceful parts of all people. All other considerations are trifles.

Looking forward to a good tarot reading when we meet in person! :)

FatherMatyas said:
Yeah, I think everyone is spiritual in their own way. Like Asoka said, "It is forbidden to decry other sects [beliefs]. The true believer gives honour to whatever in them is worthy of honour." I prefer to honour the healing and peaceful parts of all people. All other considerations are trifles.

Really nicely said. I have often said, "I am spiritual, but not religious because I respect all beliefs and do not limit myself to one house, just one planet" :)

I'm new to the community too and will be a new full-time nomad this summer. Best of luck!

I checked out your twitter feed, thanks for all the good thoughts. 

On spiritual weariness from living through covid death and so many bad acts by people, plus thinking of my own death, for perseverence I am doing the rosary now. What a gift that is, like water in the desert.
-crofter

FatherMatyas said:
.... everyone is spiritual in their own way....
Nature is in your face when dwelling, more so than when opening the door to your S&B. Boondockers who are living simple find that all their daily activities are conducted in the natural world among all the other creatures currently living on the planet. Really quite crowded at that lonely boondocking spot when you consider all the creatures there with you.

Currently noticing large desert rabbits waiting for thier spring litters to arrive.

Thinking about "in harmony with nature" versus my desire to control everything including wild creatures like rabbits and mice chewing up my stuff.
-crofter

crofter said:
I checked out your twitter feed, thanks for all the good thoughts. 

On spiritual weariness from living through covid death and so many bad acts by people, plus thinking of my own death, for perseverence I am doing the rosary now. What a gift that is, like water in the desert.
-crofter

Thanks for tolerating my musings. I wonder how my vagabond mutterings will evolve. YouTube seems to be the thing to do....

FatherMatyas said:
...YouTube seems to be the thing ...
Some dwellers really get into making a documentary of their build and travels, others are more private. Post a link to your channel and we will all be tagging along.
-crofter