USPS Denied Me a PO Box though I Have the 2 forms of ID they Require

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AreWeLostYet

Reaction score
I've walked into US Post Offices and just asked for a PO box, filled out the form and handed the keys. This time the clerk demanded that I prove that the address on my CA drivers license and car registration are "verifiable". I demanded to speak to the postmaster. The clerk led me to a room to speak with his supervisor, with the clerk present. She reiterated the clerk's denial of issueing me a PO box, claiming the addresses on my CA drivers license and car registration were not verifiable. They stressed that PO boxes are being used by terrorists (since 9/11 of course) and criminals for no-good reasons so they need all this anal-cavity security. Is this legal and what are my alternatives? I have a PO box in another state and I want to forward my mail from there. Should I:

a.) press the issue to get a USPS post office box

b.) get a PMB (private mail box)
    b1.) if so - from a major mailbox provider like Fedex, UPS store, Mail Boxes Etc.
    b2.) or from an independent, local mail box store?

c.) or ....  ?

Idealy, I'd like to be able to forward mail from this box. But I'm reading that only USPS offers mail forwarding from box to box.

You can use general delivery for up to 30 days, as I recall. If you are going to be staying in an area for awhile some sort of connection is a good idea. A PMB could be part of that, or you could have your mail forwarded to an address, like a workplace. Social service agencies might well do it also.

This is probably part of the Real ID Act.

When you renew your license, you'll also have to prove that you live there.

No, you need to provide paper that satisfies their requirements to "prove" residential / legal domicile status.

Not actually prove, and no need to actually "live" there.

But it should be a real residential address, ideally a trusted friend or relative. They don't need to be bothered by your mail once you're setup, use the letterbox service for the mailing addresses.

USPS is a poor choice for forwarding service.

John61CT said:
No, you need to provide paper that satisfies their requirements to "prove" residential / legal domicile status.

Not actually prove, and no need to actually "live" there.

But it should be a real residential address, ideally a trusted friend or relative. They don't need to be bothered by your mail once you're setup, use the letterbox service for the mailing addresses.

USPS is a poor choice for forwarding service.

Yes I just found out USPS PO Box service will not forward car registration related mail.

AreWeLostYet said:
I've walked into US Post Offices and just asked for a PO box, filled out the form and handed the keys. This time the clerk demanded that I prove that the address on my CA drivers license and car registration are "verifiable". I demanded to speak to the postmaster. The clerk led me to a room to speak with his supervisor, with the clerk present. She reiterated the clerk's denial of issueing me a PO box, claiming the addresses on my CA drivers license and car registration were not verifiable. They stressed that PO boxes are being used by terrorists (since 9/11 of course) and criminals for no-good reasons so they need all this anal-cavity security. Is this legal and what are my alternatives? I have a PO box in another state and I want to forward my mail from there. Should I:

a.) press the issue to get a USPS post office box

b.) get a PMB (private mail box)
    b1.) if so - from a major mailbox provider like Fedex, UPS store, Mail Boxes Etc.
    b2.) or from an independent, local mail box store?

c.) or ....  ?

Idealy, I'd like to be able to forward mail from this box. But I'm reading that only USPS offers mail forwarding from box to box.
That is insane! Why can't they verify your information?

Sent from my SM-T560NU using Tapatalk

Perseverance, I have repeatedly PMed you. you need to reply to me.

the burden of proof is on the applicant not the post office. highdesertranger

Perseverance said:
That is insane! Why can't they verify your information?

People are increasingly forbidden from giving letterbox addresses when they require a real residence.

Try a very small town. As long as things appear above board, things may not be so strict. I know this from very recent history. One ID. It doesn't hurt at all to be friendly and gossipy.
Ted

highdesertranger said:
Perseverance,  I have repeatedly PMed you.  you need to reply to me.

the burden of proof is on the applicant not the post office.  highdesertranger

I handed them two of the ID's the form requested - CA drivers license and car registration. What more am I obligated to provide them?

I already posted this once. it is up to the applicant to prove their residency, not up to the post office. all you need to do is to bring in the proper proof of residency. highdesertranger

AreWeLostYet said:
Yes I just found out USPS PO Box service will not forward car registration related mail.
Why?

I'm sure in practice the local Postmaster is given a lot of leeway. Or he's received instructions to require Real-ID compliant docs, and that hasn't been put in writing.

Make a big fuss with them if you like, but I've found it easier to just figure out how to get what you want.

highdesertranger said:
I already posted this once. it is up to the applicant to prove their residency, not up to the post office. all you need to do is to bring in the proper proof of residency. highdesertranger
What if your homeless like me? I am using a Catholic Charities address and they said I can get a driver's license with it!

Each jurisdiction and bureaucracy sets its own rules.

Since the requirements are everywhere tightening over time, I advise people to accommodate the RealID requirements in advance of it causing you major unexpected headaches.

Having a legal domicile is not optional, best if you consciously choose one that suits you rather than leaving it up to "them".

Okay, I'll go on. I've gotten two PO boxes in the last year. As I mentioned, the last one was in a small town, easy-peasy, one ID and friendly small talk. The other one was in Tucson, one of the busier post offices. Since my son is picking up the mail for us and we were moving, we had to have four people on the box-Hubby, me and #s 3 & 4 sons. The first guy was making it as difficult as an act of Congress, proof of residency, this, that, for each person-and each of us had come in person. So a couple of days later, I went in to ask a question and another employee, when I discussed all the hoops I still needed to jump through, he said "That's crazy, we don't need that" , and promptly opened the box for the four of us with copies of IDs alone and my one car registration. The first guy was obviously a jerk and wanted to make life as miserable for others as he was, I guess.

Sometimes it's better to take your battles elsewhere. I also find that it can be very helpful to go in kinda ditsy and confused. It used to be guys would be very helpful because I was young and cute. Now they are helpful because I remind them of an pleasant, kind, ditsy old woman. Suck up! Brown nose! Pretend that you're acting. Yes, you shouldn't have to do that, but as my momma use to say "You get more bees with honey"...

Now, on the other hand, sometimes I have to be a royal asshole. But I usually don't have to get past the honey.
Ted

WalkaboutTed said:
Sometimes it's better to take your battles elsewhere.  I also find that it can be very helpful to go in kinda ditsy and confused.   It used to be guys would be very helpful because I was young and cute. Now they are helpful because I remind them of an pleasant, kind, ditsy old woman.  Suck up! Brown nose! Pretend that you're acting.  Yes, you shouldn't have to do that, but as my momma use to say "You get more bees with honey"...

Now, on the other hand, sometimes I have to be a royal asshole.  But I usually don't have to get past the honey.
Ted
 LOL about the "ditzy" part. I do that a lot. Everybody wants to help their grandma. Of course, I am a total ditz on some things (like solar, for example), but I find giving people a very confused look and saying " I don't understand why (whatever)" gets you a long, long way.

If you have a "catholic charities address", why not use that?

WalkaboutTed said:
Okay, I'll go on. I've gotten two PO boxes in the last year. As I mentioned, the last one was in a small town, easy-peasy, one ID and friendly small talk. The other one was in Tucson, one of the busier post offices. Since my son is picking up the mail for us and we were moving, we had to have four people on the box-Hubby, me and #s 3 & 4 sons. The first guy was making it as difficult as an act of Congress, proof of residency, this, that, for each person-and each of us had come in person. So a couple of days later, I went in to ask a question and another employee, when I discussed all the hoops I still needed to jump through, he said "That's crazy, we don't need that" , and promptly opened the box for the four of us with copies of IDs alone and my one car registration. The first guy was obviously a jerk and wanted to make life as miserable for others as he was, I guess.

Sometimes it's better to take your battles elsewhere. I also find that it can be very helpful to go in kinda ditsy and confused. It used to be guys would be very helpful because I was young and cute. Now they are helpful because I remind them of an pleasant, kind, ditsy old woman. Suck up! Brown nose! Pretend that you're acting. Yes, you shouldn't have to do that, but as my momma use to say "You get more bees with honey"...

Now, on the other hand, sometimes I have to be a royal asshole. But I usually don't have to get past the honey.
Ted
[emoji106]