Using Reflectix insulation for window coverings

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PeterPiper

Reaction score
Hello,

I thought I'd run this question and see if anyone has first hand experience.

So I made a custom set of window coverings for my 2006 Dodge Caravan.  They have 1 inch of polyester batting inside (I think IIRC) and heavy fabric on both sides.
Now I'm wondering it it's better overall to put the Reflectix inside the window covering or sew it onto the outside (facing the glass) ?

The coverings were designed to be "stealth" and I used black fabric on the side facing out.   That way, behind the dark tinted windows you cannot tell there are coverings over the windows inside, it just looks pitch black inside.   I like that.

If I sew the Reflectix on the outside, then if you get close to the van or shine a flashlight, you'll be able to see the silver reflectix.

Anyone have any first hand experience with this?

Would the Reflectix be just as effective inside the window covering as sewn to the outside facing the glass?

Thanks

Depends on whether the Reflectix is for keeping heat inside the vehicle or for keeping heat outside the vehicle.

Against the glass to reflect sunlight.

On the inside to reflect heat back into the vehicle.

You might need two sets, day and night.

Stealth is elusive.

I have two layers of Reflectix on all my rear windows. They make a huge difference as opposed to just bare glass in both reflecting the sun and keeping heat in at night. Are they ideal? Nope.

Except for one large window they're just pressed into place and can be removed easily. They don't take up much room when removed.

With or without the Reflectix, my van's about as stealthy as a turd in a glass of champagne with the solar on the roof

Black side facing out for colder or night time and refectix side out for sunny hot days. Refectix will still work to reflect heat from sun if covered but in my opinion use a bit less thicker material on that side. Thick batting on the other side is fine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reflectix rather. … predictive text feature really gets on my nerves.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks for the advice.

Agreed (about the predictive text) I turned it off.  :thumbsup:

Reflectix out: A lot better for reflecting the sun, if it can be seen from outside however it is a dead giveaway that someone is living in the van.

PeterPiper said:
Now I'm wondering it it's better overall to put the Reflectix inside the window covering or sew it onto the outside (facing the glass) ?

As a window covering, Reflectix's main advantage is its reflective ability. If it's inside a covering it might as well be bubble wrap. The same is true  if it's painted. If you want easy insulation without the reflective surface, you could use foamcore board — styrofoam sandwiched between poster paper. You can get it in black if you want.

MrNoodly said:
Or you might be able to just flip them over and swap left and right sides.

I'm thinking this might be the best solution and what I was thinking about doing.
Thanks

MrNoodly said:
As a window covering, Reflectix's main advantage is its reflective ability. If it's inside a covering it might as well be bubble wrap. The same is true  if it's painted. If you want easy insulation without the reflective surface, you could use foamcore board — styrofoam sandwiched between poster paper. You can get it in black if you want.

Makes sense.
Thanks

So I took my custom made window coverings for my 2006 Dodge Caravan and used my sewing machine to sew reflectix to one side as suggested.
It came out pretty good and they all installed nicely.

For the cold, they will be installed with the Reflectix to the inside.
On Hot sunny days they will be installed with the silver Reflectix facing out.
Perfect utility.

Now to do the rear glass.

I happen to have some spare black auto carpet and reflectix laying about. Might try to make something like this.
As far as whether reflectix works when it is covered, infrared goes through a lot of fabrics if it isnt absorbed. When it gets to the reflectix it will reflect. So black covering may actually help it?

PeterPiper said:
So I took my custom made window coverings for my 2006 Dodge Caravan and used my sewing machine to sew reflectix to one side as suggested.
It came out pretty good and they all installed nicely.

For the cold, they will be installed with the Reflectix to the inside.
On Hot sunny days they will be installed with the silver Reflectix facing out.
Perfect utility.

Now to do the rear glass.
That'll work a lot better than my two layers of Reflectix. I added a second layer because I already had the Reflectix laying around from the original roll.

MotorVation said:
That'll work a lot better than my two layers of Reflectix. I added a second layer because I already had the Reflectix laying around from the original roll.

Did you get to try your reflectix in both hot and cold temps?

How did your two layers do against cold?  Hot??

I have Reflectix sewn to one side of my fabric window coverings which are

1 layer of heavy canvas black material on one side
1 layer of lighter weight cotton blend fabric on the other side
1/2 inch lightly compressed cotton batting insulation between the fabrics
1 layer of Reflectix sewn to the lighter weight fabric side
5/8 double side edge trim sewn all around all window covers.

They are about 1 inch thick all finished.

They are primarily for cold weather........ and privacy.

Don't know if you saw my post about nearly freezing in the same vehicle with temps just below 32F?
And that was with a 5 kilowatt diesel heater going all night.
Apparently without prepping with good insulation, a minivan vehicle can be like a tin can in the Arctic circle.
Then again, I made the mistake of sleeping on the minivan floor....on an air mattress no less.

I'm banking on the glass all around the minivan as the primary loss of heat and transfer of any heat inside to the outside and the freezing cold transferred into the cabin.
I'm confident that just the new window coverings will make a significant difference.

I was ill prepared and thought that the 5 kilowatt heater would defeat the cold.
I think my minivan must have been transferring that 5Kw of heat out as fast or faster than the heater could pump out heat.
Imagine how much warmer it would be in a car built from carbon fiber rather than steel.

I recently finished styrofoam window covers for the 2 front doors of my car. There had been earlier versions with other materials and while they weren't satisfactory, they provided templated to shape. The foam is 2 inch and dark grey. It's what they had. Other than a sharp knife, a sanding sponge was indispensable. The first step was to sand the sides and curves so that the panels fit easily into the opening. I didn't want to push the foam against the rubber trim around the window. If the window is partially open, it is too easy to push it out of space. I sanded about a 45 degree bevel on the edges that would be closest to the glass. When done, the foam touches the glass, but not the rubber. When sanding the edges, I made sure to leave just a bit of space along to 2 longest edges of the foam. I put low profile, adhesive backed weather strip on those sides so that the panels fit in nicely. Nicely, but not perfectly. I then went around the edge with duct tape, but with only 1/3 on the foam. Then I folded the rest under, on itself. Now, I can put the panel in place and shut the door, with the door holding the tape edging in place. Now working on small vents along the top so the window can be opened a bit and the vent can be adjusted from the inside. Hope ti paint the inside white and mount some of my photos.

MG

Both hot and cold. The Reflectix stays mucho degrees warmer then the window glass behind it and the plastic trim around them with the heat on. The second layer really helped with that. I didn't glue them together so there's a bit of an air gap between them in spots. 

Same deal with the sun. I take a nap in the afternoon usually and I park facing west most of the time in the desert. The sun is usually beating down on the windows next to my bed of course but the Reflectix reflects some of it back and the inner layer gives me a bit of insulation from the heat.

My van used to be a 15 passenger so I have windows all the way around. Another thing that makes a HUGE difference, I have double layer insulated curtains that I bought off Amazon separating the cab from the rear. I just shoved a spring loaded curtain rod in above the trim on both sides slightly behind the front seats, and hung the curtains off it. There's a gap at the top but I use that for ventilation as I l keep the front windows cracked with rain guards above them.

I bought material including polyester insulation to make real window covers, I even bought a vintage sewing machine that I have no clue how to use but I never got around to it.

Believe me, when the temps drop down into the 20's it's hardly toasty warm in there. I just have a Wave3. The heater gives off a radiant warmth so when I'm near it that heat warms me and the objects near it. Move away from the heater a couple feet and it's radically colder. Some nights I crawl into the sleeping bag a little sooner than I would like.

Most of the time the the weather in the Sonora is moderate and I have the heater on low which does it for me. The mountains are a different story depending on the season of course

Reflectix alone. Paint one side black, if you must. Switch sides at night.
I love how mine fit right into the glass without a bunch of fuss. I can just pulled off at will. :)
Can’t really see the silver they tint on mine. This is well into my second vehicle set.

Think of it this way, you are not reflecting heat away on the exterior side at night and only need to be doing that task during daytime hours of high heat. Why worry about it being shiny showing to the outside during the day? People put up reflective window coversings during daylight all the time in the form of windshield heat reflection and even leave it in place overnight.

The stealth factor comes into play at night when you do not want to be seen inside sleeping if someone shines a light into the window. The only time you would care about it being shiny is if it was a cop who wanted to roust you out of where you are parked. But if they cant see you in there what difference does it make unless they are going to write a ticket or have the vehicle towed. Besides only a very foolish person parks where it is illegal to park as tickets and towing are very expensive and a nuisance too.

If you want to play around switching window coverings to different sides for daytime and night go for it. Your time, your money, your lifestyle. Experimenting is aan interesting science project. Get a thermal sensor and take measurements and see if the effort pays off....or not. Observe people and record their reactions to your window coverings. That will be an interesting sociologica/psychological experiment as well. Actual experience is always more useful than assumptions and speculations. Time and some materials, not actually a huge investment of either of them to have some roadlife entertainment time wth this.stuff. Approach it as some amusing fun. With dark tinted windows the temp sensor readings will vary and of course it will also vary by time of day, the side of the car, the wind chill factors, sky conditions, location, protection from buildings and trees etc. Lots of factors to take into accountin your experiments.