Using free WIFI on the road, anyone use a VPN?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gallica

Reaction score
Planning for hitting the road Feb.2018. I have been figuring out just how I am going to do my online banking, paying bills, etc.  How safe is the free wifi at starbucks, mcdonalds, etc? Anyone using a vpn (virtual private network). If so, which one and how much are you paying for the service?

gallica said:
Planning for hitting the road Feb.2018. I have been figuring out just how I am going to do my online banking, paying bills, etc.  How safe is the free wifi at starbucks, mcdonalds, etc? Anyone using a vpn (virtual private network). If so, which one and how much are you paying for the service?
I have used a vpn a lot, they are a must when using public wifi.  Inexpensive $40 a year or so I believe, I used PIA Private Internet Access: Anonymous VPN Service From The Leaders

I find it to be very reliable and you wont notice it is there.

No I use a linux OS on a computer with a barren hard drive when on public access

Linux.

If there's no quote, addressing the immediately preceding post.

Im good with it. Note theres always something to buy. Telecomms started pushing hard against open networks a few years ago. You used to be able to get all kinds of free VPN's.

Then a fear market was created. They even had stories ran about someone connecting to your wifi and you get arrested. 

Its just takes some common sense.

If your concerned about free Hotspots, just use your phone as one. Check with your cell provider as some companies limit hotspot options and how much it may cost to add on to your plan. BUT, if you have a good plan with unlimited data or a very high data max, FoxFi is a great app. It will give you hotspot functionality but use your data plan instead. Plus you don't have to worry about going in anywhere and just home where ever you have parked.

> Analogous to  vaccines providing 'herd' immunity.

Yes, and our current anti-social zeitgeist is exactly why the movement hasn't taken off, and why measles, mumps, rubella, polio, and whooping cough are coming back.

> just use your phone as one

But the whole point is not paying the crazy cost per GB the telco's want.

WiFi really should be a public utility in all densely populated areas, would not even be expensive.

I've been using NordVPN and am happy with it. I like that it has an option to close applications if it becomes disconnected. With my previous VPN (which has since gone out of business) it would sometimes disconnect and I'd go hours unprotected because I didn't notice.

John61CT said:
Which doesn't help if you're entering passwords on financial websites, lots of other scenarios.

Connections to financial websites, etc, are already encrypted in teh secure sockets layer (https/secured sites).

Security theater != security.

Back to the good Old West days.
J38TelegraphKey.jpg

Attachments

• J38TelegraphKey.jpg
    J38TelegraphKey.jpg
    60.5 KB · Views: 8