Using a roof rack

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tedrow42

Reaction score
So I've only ever seen people use them for bikes and kayak storage. Some of you know I'm in a in a kia sportage I'm wanting to find a way to use all the space I can. 

Also I'm trying to cut my Facebook usage so I'm going to be on here more and more. Hopefully get to know some of you more.

We had a Yakima roof rack and a big box on our Honda Element. We needed it when we carried both bikes, camping gear and kayaks (skin on frame in bags). The "coffin" was huge and we were able to put in all our bedding, pads and PFDs. The Elements are kinda top heavy in the first place, so we took corners pretty slow.

Roof racks are great but they do affect gas mileage, I've had better luck using hitch racks with totes as being closer to the ground and table height.

Don't have a hitch on this rig. I don't travel enough for it to effect gas

When I can fit it into my budget, I intend to install solar panels on the roof rails of my Kia Soul. You may be able to do the same with your Sportage.

sephson said:
When I can fit it into my budget, I intend to install solar panels on the roof rails of my Kia Soul. You may be able to do the same with your Sportage.

Really need the room. Im a big guy. Sleeping in a drivers seat is gonna play hell on my back. Don't even know if I can fold down back seats and sleep back there with my stuff. Im back to working on a tow boat and in hind sight should have got a van before I gave up my trailer

Tedrow42 said:
Really need the room. Im a big guy. Sleeping in a drivers seat is gonna play hell on my back. Don't even know if I can fold down back seats and sleep back there with my stuff. Im back to working on a tow boat and in hind sight should have got a van before I gave up my trailer

You may be able to turn the passenger seat around, remove any second row seats and incorporate the bottom of the passenger seat into part of a bed. 

in post #13 of https://vanlivingforum.com/Thread-Putting-a-swivel-table-into-my-minivan-with-Danny?page=2
I give a link to some bed build pics for a dodge caravan.

I saw a you tube video where the guy had a big plastic cargo carrier on the roof.  He had a small generator in it and ran it there.  I guess you can put anything / everything in those.

There are roof mounted tents.  That could get you a 6' 2" flat sleeping surface that goes flat when driving.

I've seen a solar panel mounted on the top of one of those cargo containers.
Ted

I'm in a 1999 Volvo station wagon.   For $100.00 I bought cross rails and an X-Cargo 20 cubic ft cargo box to mount on top.

Camel Wagon.jpg

This has been a great addition for me.  I keep all my clothing and bedding in the cargo box because those things are fairly light and relatively easy to replace if someone breaks into the box and steals anything.

I bought a sturdy collapsible step stool at Walmart that Bob recommended on one of his YouTube videos and I'm glad I did.

My experience so far is that the effect on my gas mileage is minimal.  In my view, what I gain in storage far outweighs what I lose in mpg.

I already have a tow bar mounted and I have looked at rear mount cargo carriers as an additional option.  The ones that are hinged and can fold up to the rear of the vehicle are appealing to me.  But I wouldn't really need one unless I started traveling much more.  Also, the rear cargo carriers obviously effect entry from the back of my vehicle, where the car top carrier does not.

I found that the Thule and Yakima brands are more expensive than I am able to consider.  They are typically three to four times higher in price than what I bought.  The X-Cargo brand has been around for a good while and I found several used ones available.  I shopped using online classified sites like Craig's List, Letgo, Offer Up, and 5 Miles.

If I can answer any questions or offer suggestions just contact me.

Drive and Thrive!

Les

Attachments

• Camel Wagon.jpg
    Camel Wagon.jpg
    99.3 KB · Views: 5

Latest posts