Used Radimini eBike value

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ByeBye

Reaction score
Hey guys, going to look at a Radmini folding ebike soon, 2018 front/rear racks/fenders and suspension seat post, about 800 mi., says no issues with battery, been laid down a couple of times so will have some minor cosmetic damage.

Think I can get it for approx $900

Thoughts on the deal?? You buyin' or sellin' :D

Attachments

• Indy Radmini cropped.jpg
    Indy Radmini cropped.jpg
    101.2 KB · Views: 24
That is almost half of the price of a new one with the racks added. Sounds like it could be a good purchase. Check for damaged chain, sprockets. etc. Run it through all the gears when taking a test ride and check the brakes before you take off.

I'm not really sure how that big front rack will affect the ability to fold it, or how easily it will be to lift after folding...you might have the seller show you how it folds...the frame, the handlebar stem, and the pedals. When you pack it up, it is much easier to lift if you remove the seat and the battery. 

But having said that, I sure like my RadMini, in fact, I just got back from a ride...

Be sure to check the number of miles to get an idea of how many charge cycles the battery has gone through. Check the rear spokes for looseness as the motor torque can cause problems if full throttle starts were common. If it needs a battery, tires and has spoke problems I would just get a new one, I've put over 1,000 miles on mine with few problems.

dang, that's more money then I have spent on most vehicles I have owned. highdesertranger

Agree w/ HDR on the expense but it fits a need for me now and in the future, they're well built, good customer support and folding makes it attractive to types of folks that I am around, if I decide to sell it. Being on my own as much as I am it's a good emergency transportation as I could injured enough to not be able to drive a manual and still be able to get on and ride. However, it has lots of other upsides for me as well.

@TI thought the same thing about the racks and folding issues but more than likely I'll carry it on a rack.

Gonna take a look at 10 am tomorrow.

Did find out that to order certain replacement parts you have to register the bike w/ orig owners name, phone number and orig order #. Theft deterrent policy.

If the battery (around $300-400 to replace) is fully capable of taking a full charge, and nothing wrong with the remainder of the bike, that is a good deal. I mounted a front hub 36V 500 W motor with a 12AH bottle battery. This bike is an 29" IronHorse 3.2 Warrior mountain bike has full suspension, and dual disc brakes.

Mounting the motor in the front retains all of my rear gears (2 wheel drive), and runs as fast as 28 mph in speed range 5, but cruises for 30 miles at speed level 2 (about 12 mph), and if I ever want to return it to stock, I can do so in about an hour.......all for $700 total.

They ARE heavy, around 80 pounds or so, but again, removing the seat and battery which only takes 15 seconds or so, makes them a bit easier to lift, and less prone to theft.

Well I pulled the trigger and got the bike w/add ons, lock, helmet for $900. I was surprised by the during my test ride...seems like a nice piece of equipment.
Will need a new handlebar shifter as the original was damaged, which he told me of in our negotiations.

Now to look at making the tires as puncture resistant as I can. Goat head thorns are a scourge. In the past when I lived in Phoenix I found success with Schwalbe Marathon, Mr. Tuffy lines and heavy duty tubes. Can't find any Schwalbe tires my size so off to research.

Attachments

• Bike.jpg
    Bike.jpg
    392 KB · Views: 9
Some friends have one and love it. I assume it folds even with the front rack on it? I would think they would design the rack so it would. My friends only have the rear rack.

It does fold w/o taking off the racks. For far I'm not crazy about the front one so we'll see.

Thanks for the update. I figured the front rack would be handy for supplies. I am not sure which way I want to go, electric bike or small dual sport. I have a Harley but it requires a trailer and is not the best dirt bike :( Something for the rear bumper sounds good to me.

They do make a smaller front rack, or of course you can remove that one and re-locate the headlight.

Kenda now makes a puncture resistant tire that fits, because yeah, those 4 inch wide tires are thorn MAGNETS. Shwalbe has yet to make a compatible puncture resistant tire in the 4x20 size.

I use a good amount of Slime in my tubes and that has reduced the flat tires to a manageable number. 

The front tire is very easy to remove and patch or change the tube, but the rear tire is a bit of a pain to fix, mainly because putting it back in place takes 3 hands....but a few cuss words and a break for a beer, and eventually you can get it done!

Did he show you the 'walk' feature? And how to turn on the headlight? And how to get into the menu system to change the top speed?

I have enjoyed mine very much, it is a lot of fun and a lot more exercise compared to taking a car or motorcycle on short trips. 

Buy a small cable lock for parking at stores and other businesses...and use the key to turn off the power when un-attended.

Have fun!

I have used a second inner tube as a liner by cutting out the valve and splitting it around the inside, laying it inside the tire and then installing the new tube. I use Stan's latex tube sealant in the new tube and run around 20 PSI. I have had a few mornings where the tire was down but I simply remove the valve and add a few ounces of Stan's and air it back up. I got close to 1,000 miles before the rear Kenda knobby tire got worn down. B and C the biggest limiting factor is distance and speed but that can be overcome with a second battery and small solar cell I understand. The Rad Mini is much lighter and easy to handle and can go places you can not on a dual sport but if you are going to need to go longer distances on a regular basis and are willing to deal with the authorities licensing, insuring and registrationing it the dual sport is is probably going to be better in the long run.

Therein lies the rub. Both are trade offs. Knowing me, I will make the wrong decision when the time comes but I am leaning towards the Rad Mini.

It has been absolutely great for less than 20 mile round trips (less than an hour) fishing or running errands that took too long walking. Little maintenance other than charging the battery. My Suzuki Samurai has served me well for trips up to 200 miles similar to dual sports distance but even at 25 miles per gallon it has cost me much more than the Rad Mini when most of my trips were local.

Yep, I used to tow a 4X4 Geo Convertible and loved using it. Real handy but a pita to tow just like my motorcycle trailer. The cost of using it really doesn't figure into my equation. Using cost to justify something is a quick way to get you into something you really don't want. I am just trying to find something that "fits", whatever that means and I am pretty sure it doesn't involve a trailer.

bullfrog said:
I have used a second inner tube as a liner 
I've been reading about folks cutting the bead off an old tire and using it for a liner. Added weight but worth a thought.

Did you go back w/ OEM tire for replacement?

B and C said:
Thanks for the update.  I figured the front rack would be handy for supplies.  I am not sure which way I want to go, electric bike or small dual sport.  I have a Harley but it requires a trailer and is not the best dirt bike :(  Something for the rear bumper sounds good to me.
I have both an 29" MTB Ebike, and a Kawasaki KLR 250 enduro. On the dirt bike, I would prefer electric start, and something a bit smaller (thinking Yamaha TTR125LE), and I don't need to wheelie at 60 mph any longer.

On the Ebike, I like the lightweight, and full suspension, but it feels really stiff compared to the KLR...I don't get tired from bumps on the KLR.

I haven't changed the tire yet but yes it most likely will be a knobby Kenda as they have done well off road/dirt road which is where I usually ride. The tube was used as a liner because of a recommendation of an old time mountain biker in Tucson. I asked about other liners and he said they tend to pinch or rub the surface of the inflated tube. Where I ride is filled with not only goat heads but cactus and Russian Olives which with 2 inch spikes can take out car tires so most likely any liner will be penetrated eventually, I just cut them flush and leave them in and add a little Stan's.

Latest posts