Used Chevy Express Milage

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CfunkPalace

Reaction score
So the wife and I are ready to pull the trigger on a Chevy Express 2500 or 3500 passenger. We will be towing an RV.

My question is what is the sweet spot for mileage? Obviously low miles is desirable but I've been watching Craig's List and other sites like a hawk and there are a ton of vans that meet our requirements but they are around 100k-120k mileage. So Express/Savana owners... what's been your experience? Should we hold out for a used van with less miles? There are a few passenger vans with 70k-80k but they are rare and far away from us.

I've never owned a Chevrolet or a van. Is that higher mileage a deal breaker? I bought a corolla 10 years ago with 100k+ on it and it's been a great vehicle.

Love the community here!

Thanks,
Christian

I think the best value is around 100,000 the van has significantly depreciated but still has a lot of life left. However if your going to be putting a ton of miles on it I would look for less mileage on the van. If I was using it to tow a good sized trailer I would be looking for a 3500 with a 5.7 engine. Also be willing to travel to find your van after 18 months looking in the Kansas City area, I took a road trip to check out several vans. I went to Kansas, Arkansas them to Tulsa where I found the van that would work for my needs.

Mattkcc said:
I think the best value is around 100,000 the van has significantly depreciated but still has a lot of life left. However if your going to be putting a ton of miles on it I would look for less mileage on the van. If I was using it to tow a good sized trailer I would be looking for a 3500 with a 5.7 engine. Also be willing to travel to find your van after 18 months looking in the Kansas City area, I took a road trip to check out several vans. I went to Kansas, Arkansas them to Tulsa where I found the van that would work for my needs.

Thanks for the advice Mattkcc. The unicorn I'm looking for is a 2500 with the 6.0 V8, 12 passenger. You're spot on with the road trip. All the unicorns I find are an hour away. Not too bad. Thanks again!

Mattkcc said:
...I would be looking for a 3500 with a 5.7 engine...

When the second generation Express/Savana came out in 2003 they switched from the good old 350 c.i./5.7L small block to the even better L Series V8s -- 4.8L, 5.3L, 6.0L. Low mileage 15-plus-year-old first generation Express/Savana are rare by now, so the lower milage ones will be second generation.

When I got my '07 Express 2500 cargo van with the 4.8L engine it had 115k on it. Five years later it has almost 250k miles and it's still going strong. But I don't tow. Towing is harder on things. 

Whether someone is going to tow or not, it's best to get the lowest mileage van you can afford -- of the ones that happen to be available when you're shopping. That's three variables -- mileage, price, availability. Finding them all together is mostly a matter of luck or searching all over the planet for a long time. So prioritize the variables and decide which you'd be willing to give up, and then which two if necessary. 

But does it need to be a passenger van? Does it need to be one of the GM vans? And if you're towing a travel trailer, does it even need to be a van? How about an SUV or a pickup with a cover? That would greatly increase your choices.

I've seen GMC 2500 ex-telecom (ATT) service pickups with the utility bed go for $1500-2000 at 100K

MrNoodly said:
When the second generation Express/Savana came out in 2003 they switched from the good old 350 c.i./5.7L small block to the even better L Series V8s -- 4.8L, 5.3L, 6.0L. Low mileage 15-plus-year-old first generation Express/Savana are rare by now, so the lower milage ones will be second generation.

When I got my '07 Express 2500 cargo van with the 4.8L engine it had 115k on it. Five years later it has almost 250k miles and it's still going strong. But I don't tow. Towing is harder on things. 

Whether someone is going to tow or not, it's best to get the lowest mileage van you can afford -- of the ones that happen to be available when you're shopping. That's three variables -- mileage, price, availability. Finding them all together is mostly a matter of luck or searching all over the planet for a long time. So prioritize the variables and decide which you'd be willing to give up, and then which two if necessary. 

But does it need to be a passenger van? Does it need to be one of the GM vans? And if you're towing a travel trailer, does it even need to be a van? How about an SUV or a pickup with a cover? That would greatly increase your choices.

Yes the passenger van is desired for the windows. Trucks and SUVs are a lot more for the same engine and I want the storage a van offers. I've found an Express 3500 that was owned by the state with 109k miles and it's an amazing price because they used it for a work van and trashed the seats. It's so cheap I'd have a couple thousand to put into it. I'm not a automotive handy person (yet) so I'm wondering with a couple thousand what I could do to make it even more reliable. There are some other options in my area that are $4k more with around 65K miles. Is the the lower mileage worth $4k?

Thanks for all the input!! This is so helpful!

CfunkPalace said:
...the passenger van is desired for the windows... and I want the storage a van offers.

Because the stuff you want to store gets claustrophobic and car sick if it can't see out?   :D :rolleyes:  :D

The state should do regular maintenance on vehicles so things should have been done.
Still it might be due for other maintenance. Private person or small company you don’t know how well they maintained.

I always plan for $2000 to do stuff after purchase. Could need brakes, hopefully only front and pads, you might want new tires to start you adventures and a new battery. Don’t know if they would give you maintenance records but other stuff that could be due are shocks, fluids changed, alignment esp if you do tires or other front end stuff.
All those things would be more than $2000 but bet not all will need to be done right a way to get you on the road safely. I budget for $1500-2000 for the next year maintenance and really hope that amount lasts me a couple years.

For my first used van right a way did front brakes, radiator, flush fluids including tranny and tires. Over next 15,000 miles (few years) did front end, shocks, a rear axel, alternator and distributor rebuilt.

Second used van first year tires, second year battery, shocks and alignment.

You could need many of the above things even with the 65K vans. Brakes, battery, all fluids, tires, alignment.

MrNoodly said:
Because the stuff you want to store gets claustrophobic and car sick if it can't see out?   :D :rolleyes:  :D

Yes I know it sounds weird. We have two kids and my wife just wont go for the cargo van. The storage system I'm going to build will still give us a the ability to see out all the windows... mostly  ;)

Firtree said:
The state should do regular maintenance on vehicles so things should have been done.
Still it might be due for other maintenance. Private person or small company you don’t know how well they maintained.

I always plan for $2000 to do stuff after purchase. Could need brakes, hopefully only front and pads, you might want new tires to start you adventures and a new battery. Don’t know if they would give you maintenance records but other stuff that could be due are shocks, fluids changed, alignment esp if you do tires or other front end stuff.
All those things would be more than $2000 but bet not all will need to be done right a way to get you on the road safely. I budget for $1500-2000 for the next year maintenance and really hope that amount lasts me a couple years.

For my first used van right a way did front brakes, radiator, flush fluids including tranny and tires. Over next 15,000 miles (few years) did front end, shocks, a rear axel, alternator and distributor rebuilt.

Second used van first year tires, second year battery, shocks and alignment.

You could need many of the above things even with the 65K vans. Brakes, battery, all fluids, tires, alignment.

Thanks Firtree! Incredibly helpful info!!! I'm starting to get more comfortable with 108k mile van as we will have more money to put into it. Comfortable enough to drive 2 hours to see it at least. Thanks again!

CfunkPalace said:
There are some other options in my area that are $4k more with around 65K miles. Is the the lower mileage worth $4k?
Abso F'in lootly!

You'll be very lucky if ongoing total cost of ownership is under 40-50¢ a mile getting work done by pro's, can be $1 if you're not.

Plus the peace of hassle-free miles, priceless!

> I'm wondering with a couple thousand what I could do to make it even more reliable

Put it in your dedicated fix & maintenance account, stay on top of stuff as you find it.

And keep adding to it before every X miles you drive

https://vanlivingforum.com/showthread.php?pid=353330#pid353330

What you're asking is really a value judgement and we all have different values and situations.
Boils down to $1000 / 10k miles.
So how much is $4000 worth to you and the % of the total overall cost of the van? Impact on your budget?
How many miles per year will you be putting on the van? How long do you plan on keeping the van?
Can that $4k difference be negotiated down?
What are the engines, options, conditions of the Vans?
All those points will weigh on the answer. That's how I look at it when I buy a vehicle.
Do a break down cost analysis of each important aspect to help you get a clearer picture and make your mind up on it.

Imho, $4k can be allot for a $10k van, go cheaper and use savings to build out, pay for expenses.
But if you can afford it and will be doing more than average miles, keeping it for long, low miles is better. To a point. What is that point? Depends.

Look up KBB online and see what they say for valuations at the two different mileages of the same van to see what they give as a price difference. That could be an interesting and useful reference point. It could balance out and then the others factors take priority.

Btw, these Vans, if maintained and not abused, are as reliable as it gets and fleet rated for approx 300k miles without serious problems.

Imho, $4k can be allot for a $10k van, go cheaper and use savings to build out, pay for expenses. But the difference between $12 & $16k, less so. Can get them new in the mid $20k range I hear but of course, not out the door. Dealer markups...

John61CT said:
Abso F'in lootly!

You'll be very lucky if ongoing total cost of ownership is under 40-50¢ a mile getting work done by pro's, can be $1 if you're not.

Plus the peace of hassle-free miles,  priceless!

> I'm wondering with a couple thousand what I could do to make it even more reliable

Put it in your dedicated fix & maintenance account, stay on top of stuff as you find it.

And keep adding to it before every X miles you drive

https://vanlivingforum.com/showthread.php?pid=353330#pid353330
I like your perspective. Gives me a different way to look at it. And the thinking continues...

Minivanmotoman said:
What you're asking is really a value judgement and we all have different values and situations.
Boils down to $1000 / 10k miles.
So how much is $4000 worth to you and the % of the total overall cost of the van? Impact on your budget?
How many miles per year will you be putting on the van? How long do you plan on keeping the van?
Can that $4k difference be negotiated down?
What are the engines, options, conditions of the Vans?
All those points will weigh on the answer. That's how I look at it when I buy a vehicle.
Do a break down cost analysis of each important aspect to help you get a clearer picture and make your mind up on it.

Imho, $4k can be allot for a $10k van, go cheaper and use savings to build out, pay for expenses.
But if you can afford it and will be doing more than average miles, keeping it for long, low miles is better. To a point. What is that point? Depends.

Look up KBB online and see what they say for valuations at the two different mileages of the same van to see what they give as a price difference. That could be an interesting and useful reference point. It could balance out and then the others factors take priority.

Btw, these Vans, if maintained and not abused, are as reliable as it gets and fleet rated for approx 300k miles without serious problems.

Minivanmotoman,

Thanks  for your input. Your points are well said. We have slowly made a list of wants when it comes to the van as we test drove trucks/vans around town. We will leave for our adventure with a substantial savings account (we got lucky with the housing market in Portland). Our hope was to spend 15k on a van and build out/maintenance and then rely on savings for maintenance on the road. The trip is for 1 year, but the van could potentially be my work truck when we get back to sticks and bricks life. Getting a van for $10K and having $5K to put into it is what appeals to me over dropping the whole budget on a lower miles van. If I knew that I wanted to keep the van for a long time I would lean toward the lower mileage van.

I appreciate point on their reliability. Ultimately that's what I was worried about. I have zero experience with Chevrolet and you've helped put my mind at ease.

Thanks again!

Well now, with some details, can give more specific answers. Only one year? Go with the cheaper one, problems don't generally start until past 150k (starter, fuel pump, alternator, water pump, belt and pulleys, etc...). Need to verify brakes, tires, exhaust, front suspension etc. Get it verified by a mechanic to assess mechanical condition.

Unless, you plan on doing lots of miles because when you come back and say resell, 65k+30k should hold up it's value better than 100k+30k, just to show an example. 100k still retains decent value but 150k+ starts to go downhill faster with less buyers.
Fyi.
Don't overdo the build as unlikely to get beyond a fraction upon resale.

That's always the "Magic" question.
You really have to do your due diligence on the inspection of the van. Go over everything and then pay for an additional inspection from someone else. You can then make an informed decision on what you can expect from the van.

Sent from my Z981 using Tapatalk

Minivanmotoman said:
Well now, with some details, can give more specific answers. Only one year? Go with the cheaper one, problems don't generally start until past 150k (starter, fuel pump, alternator, water pump, belt and pulleys, etc...). Need to verify brakes, tires, exhaust, front suspension etc. Get it verified by a mechanic to assess mechanical condition.

Unless, you plan on doing lots of miles because when you come back and say resell, 65k+30k should hold up it's value better than 100k+30k, just to show an example. 100k still retains decent value but 150k+ starts to go downhill faster with less buyers.
Fyi.
Don't overdo the build as unlikely to get beyond a fraction upon resale.

Thanks for the list! We are going to look at the van today and have an inspection scheduled if we decide we want to buy it! I'll let y'all know how it goes. Wish us luck!