used Astro Van repairs and parts

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rachel

Reaction score
Hi,

I am looking for some advice from others who have experience with Astro Vans.

I am looking into buying a used Astro Van (in the 2002-2005 years) and was wondering about getting parts (how difficult or easy that could be) and 
getting repairs while on the road (how easy or difficult could that be for an Astro van?).

I am may be buying a used Chevy Astro Van next week and just wanted to get some idea's on what repair bills could be etc.

From some friends, they said that older Chevy's in the 1980 up to 2000, can have a lot of repairs but I am looking into buying a van in the years 2003-2005 with mileage just under 100K. 

So, any info on the repairs (easy of getting it done, while traveling and how high the costs would be)
and are Astro Van parts easy to get?

Thank you,
Rachel

Considering it's a Chevy 4.3 Vortec backed by a 4L60e and mated to GM truck chassis ... Finding parts is the LAST thing to worry about.
You could practically build one from parts at Autozone. 95% of the vehicle GM used in lots of other vehicles.
As far as wrenching, definitely on the easy side with a little experience and a Haynes manual. Just a couple things are a pain to get to.

Chevys have their quirks. They like to leak oil and have electrical oddities. Unless the leak is bad just leave it be.
Electrical weirdness is best solved by making your own setup. For instance, just replace things with your own wiring and switch.

Other than that, give her a tune up and start with a cooling system refresh.

Is it a RWD or AWD Astro?

the 2wd Astro's are no different then any other Chevy. probably the cheapest vehicle to repair. they are no more prone to break down than any other vehicle. the most important thing is how its been cared for by the previous owner(s). highdesertranger

Gideon33w said:
Considering it's a Chevy 4.3 Vortec backed by a 4L60e and mated to GM truck chassis ... Finding parts is the LAST thing to worry about.
You could practically build one from parts at Autozone. 95% of the vehicle GM used in lots of other vehicles.
As far as wrenching, definitely on the easy side with a little experience and a Haynes manual. Just a couple things are a pain to get to.

Chevys have their quirks. They like to leak oil and have electrical oddities. Unless the leak is bad just leave it be.
Electrical weirdness is best solved by making your own setup. For instance, just replace things with your own wiring and switch.

Other than that, give her a tune up and start with a cooling system refresh.

Is it a RWD or AWD Astro?

Thanks Gideion33w,
It is a RWD. I would really like to have an AWD but this Astro is really nice, in good shape and has low miles. 
So, if it meets 70% of my needs, I am going to buy it.

Thanks again for your input, I really appreciate it.

Go for it. The RWD will deliver a bit better mpg numbers.
I built a RWD and an AWD (older full time awd version).
Went with them because they were so cheap/easy to maintain.
There's a reason you still see lots of them on the road.

Rachel said:
Hi,

I am looking for some advice from others who have experience with Astro Vans.
From some friends, they said that older Chevy's in the 1980 up to 2000, can have a lot of repairs but I am looking into buying a van in the years 2003-2005 with mileage just under 100K. 

So, any info on the repairs (easy of getting it done, while traveling and how high the costs would be)
and are Astro Van parts easy to get?

Thank you,
Rachel
Hi Rachel - this is not really a direct answer to your question but, my wife & I had a 97 Safari 4.3 that we bought new, kept til 2011. Sold it to downsize at (110K? mi). Had no real parts issues to speak of. The alternator and CD played failed at approx 2 yrs old, no other issues till 14 yrs old, the O2 sensor went then.  Did have some kind of trans service done at around 12 yrs old, cost $275. at a good local trans place (think it might have been some kind of adjustment & flush). FWIW, this was my wife's DD, & she drives like a banshee. Oh- PS- think we replaced the rear hatch struts for $39. one time.
DaveM.