Use trucks 110v power outlet to charge batteries

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kaylajazzmin

Reaction score
Hello again. I've been researching but haven't figured it out yet. My truck has an outlet in the bed that I've been using for most of my build and I either use it with the truck on or accessory mode, no problems. Used power drill, jigsaw, Soldering iron, wetvac, etc. What I want to do is use solar and while driving use the trucks outlet to recharge the batteries. Does anyone know how I can do that?

you can do it but it will never charge your battery to 100% it will kill your vehicle battery or you need to have the truck running. having the truck running to recharge a depleted battery is very inefficient and converting from 12v to 120v then back to 12v makes it even more inefficient.

running an automotive engine as a generator is also very inefficient, especially when you could use one of inverter generators.

for sure hook up the house battery to the truck's charging system with a solenoid or a DC to DC charger.

highdesertranger

Kaylajazzmin said:
 My truck has an outlet in the bed that I've been using for most of my build and I either use it with the truck on or accessory mode, no problems. 

{snip}

What I want to do is use solar and while driving use the trucks outlet to recharge the batteries. Does anyone know how I can do that?

You left something out that is important. Building what? Are you building out a truck camper or a trailer or what?

The answer will lead us to understand what batteries you want to charge from that outlet.

If you are asking if you can use that outlet to power a battery charger that then tries to recharge the starting battery....then the answer is NO WAY.

If you just need to help maintain (not recharge) truck camper batteries then it could work, in a minimal fashion, but is not the best way to do that. 

If you need to maintain the charge on a couple of batteries in a camper/trailer you are building, then the answer is that there are better ways to do that also, with an aux line in your trailer lighting connector.

I'm building a truck camper. I only want to charge from the truck while I'm driving. Otherwise, I don't want it taking NY power from the truck. There is a button near the dash where I turn the 110 power in the truck bed on and off. I'd only turn it on while driving.

in that case it would work but it's not very efficient. keep in mind no conversion is 100% so you are losing energy at every conversion.

1. you are converting from your trucks 12v system to 120v you lose
2. then you are plugging a battery charger in that is converting the 120v back to 12v. you lose

I don't know what charger you have and how efficient it is, but battery chargers are notorious for being inefficient. IMO you would be miles ahead if you just charge directly 12v to 12v just put a automatic charging solenoid in between or you could even use a mechanical switch or a DC to DC battery charger.

highdesertranger

Kaylajazzmin said:
What I want to do is use solar and while driving use the trucks outlet to recharge the batteries.

Does this mean your solar panel(s) would be put away while driving? Because if your panels are mounted on the roof, they'll always be charging your batteries.