USB C PORT

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Scott3569

Reaction score
Any one out there know the advantages or disadvantages of having a USB c Port?? 

I don't even know what the USB C port is for.. I know my phone has USB 3 installed.. But that is about it.

The USB C port is capable of a slightly higher amperage for quicker charging of mainly the new Iphones I believe.

MotorVation said:
I don't know the advantages or disadvantages but my Visible R2 android phone has one. The other end of the cable plugs into regular USB
Well yeah, that is how my phone is, But there are type c port you can have similar to a USB port..

USB Type C is a USB spec port.

Are you thinking of the Apple proprietary port that looks similar to a USB C port, but is not a USB type C port?

My latest laptop has a standard USB C on the right side, and the Apple port (with a lightning bolt symbol) on the left side. It's of no use to me.

wayne49 said:

Are you thinking of the Apple proprietary port that looks similar to a USB C port, but is not a USB type C port?

My latest laptop has a standard USB C on the right side, and the Apple port (with a lightning bolt symbol) on the left side. It's of no use to me.
No you can get these

https://www.amazon.com/DAMAVO-YM121...jbGlja1JlZGlyZWN0JmRvTm90TG9nQ2xpY2s9dHJ1ZQ==

What is exactly are you supposed to be able to charge with the type c port vs. a USB 3.0?

USB C is capable of usb 3 and higher speed and functions. The benefit of usb c over regular usb is that usb c can charges stuff a lot faster (if the port supports quick charging and the like), usb c to usb c can allow you to use a tablet with full battery to charge another device like a phone, and more. USB c is honestly going to change a lot of thing for computing as it gets adopted more and more. For example, you can have a single usb c connecting a monitor with built in usb hub to a computer and not need a power cord for the monitor. I have a MSI portable screen with mini HDMI for certain stuff, and it have two usb c so I can connect most any usb c devices to it and both power and drive the screen at the same time with a lot less cable clutters.

It's just way more versatile than the older usb ports now. Regarding 'apple port with lightning symbol', it's a little weird. Apple computers have thunderbolt usb c which is just a standard to provide a lot of functions via a single usb c cable (like the monitor example above). Apple also have a port called lightning which are NOT usb C. It looks similar but aren't all that great and obviously the propriety aspect of that port just sucks. There have been rumors for years that iPhones could switch over to usb c soon. It's honestly looking possible within the next couple years. Pretty much all modern phones nowadays have usb c, same for modern tablets and everything else. I have a usb c ereader, android phone with usb c, ipad pro with usb c port, that portable screen with usb c, and a few more things around the camper. It's so nice to be able to use a single cable to connect any of these devices to the other. For example, I've connected the ereader to my phone so I could transfer ebooks directly from the phone to the ereader without having to depend on a computer (It's not a kindle) for example. I also have a usb c hub for the ipad which gives me access to SD slot, several regular usb ports, hdmi out, and more. And all of these devices can be charged fast via PD usb c ports which simply mean that the port have the power delivery standard built into it.

Sorry, ended up rambling a bit. Hope the info helps clear thing up some?

wayne49 said:

I believe you might be confusing thunderbolt usb c with lightning ports like on the iphone. Any port that looks like usb c with a lightning symbol just mean that it have thunderbolt standard. Basically usb c but a lot stronger than the 'regular' usb c ports (more functionality, can drive more power, etc...).

Lightning port on iphone is very much propriety and wouldn't be in any computers whatsoever. There's usb c to lightning cable and regular usb to lightning. And in all case, the lightning port only shows up on the iphones. I've never heard of that port being on a laptop and I just could not find any such laptop online.

One advantage of that USB C port is that some USB C devices charge more efficiently from C Female to C Female. USB A (the female plug on a computer, wall charger, USB bank) to USB C male is capable of 3A at 5v. 15w. USB C Female to USB C Female on compatible devices like a USB bank I used to have can charge at 19 watts.

There is also PD 69 or something port that charges at 69 watts. I think it's the same shape and such as the USB C.

I liked my USB bank because it had 2 charging ports. Micro USB AND USB C and it could charge from both at the same time. I had 2 of them and when they were connected C to C they would link with each other and light up an LED that was only lit when it was linked via C female to C female.

I bought a USB C (PD) DC car charger for my trailer's DC plug to keep my chromebook charged. I can also use the same set up to charge my portable battery packs (the bigger ones use USB C to charge). The version I bought supports 36Ws which can charge my chromebook in sleep mode. It's nice to not have to bring a AC adapter and multiple chargers.

Lostear said:
USB C is capable of usb 3 and higher speed and functions. The benefit of usb c over regular usb is that usb c can charges stuff a lot faster (if the port supports quick charging and the like), usb c to usb c can allow you to use a tablet with full battery to charge another device like a phone, and more. USB c is honestly going to change a lot of thing for computing as it gets adopted more and more. For example, you can have a single usb c connecting a monitor with built in usb hub to a computer and not need a power cord for the monitor. I have a MSI portable screen with mini HDMI for certain stuff, and it have two usb c so I can connect most any usb c devices to it and both power and drive the screen at the same time with a lot less cable clutters.

It's just way more versatile than the older usb ports now. Regarding 'apple port with lightning symbol', it's a little weird. Apple computers have thunderbolt usb c which is just a standard to provide a lot of functions via a single usb c cable (like the monitor example above). Apple also have a port called lightning which are NOT usb C. It looks similar but aren't all that great and obviously the propriety aspect of that port just sucks. There have been rumors for years that iPhones could switch over to usb c soon. It's honestly looking possible within the next couple years. Pretty much all modern phones nowadays have usb c, same for modern tablets and everything else. I have a usb c ereader, android phone with usb c, ipad pro with usb c port, that portable screen with usb c, and a few more things around the camper. It's so nice to be able to use a single cable to connect any of these devices to the other. For example, I've connected the ereader to my phone so I could transfer ebooks directly from the phone to the ereader without having to depend on a computer (It's not a kindle) for example. I also have a usb c hub for the ipad which gives me access to SD slot, several regular usb ports, hdmi out, and more. And all of these devices can be charged fast via PD usb c ports which simply mean that the port have the power delivery standard built into it.

Sorry, ended up rambling a bit. Hope the info helps clear thing up some?

Just to point out that USB C and thunderbolt connectors and ports look the same but have different protocols and functions as Lostear pointed out, I can’t stress that enough. Pay attention to that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I bought a USB-C car charger and hard wired it to my house battery. The purpose was to charge my laptop but I forgot to get a USB-c cable, oops. It has been charging my phone pretty fast through the USB A ports though. Once I get the right cable hopefully it will have enough juice for the laptop.