unconstitutional to ban the homeless from sleeping outside

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
T.he I.nvisible M.an said:
What about the over the road truckers? It seems to me that they sleep next to the road, in parking lots, in rest areas or pretty much anywhere they stop, not to mention the ones that have "sleepers" built in are fairly obvious...

Because they are taxed businesses it seems they are okay.? But a very good point. Why are most folks not sleeping where the truckers sleep? Are RV and VAN banned from commercial parking-sleeping areas?

Truck drivers are not typically high on the suspicious list for wrong doing. Commercial and industrial areas are one of the absolute worst places to park normally because of increased security and police patrols, that are extra sensitive to any unknown vehicles in the area due to both burglary and vandalism problems.

Usually commerrcial and industrial areas are pretty vacant at night, which makes any new vehicles stand out like a sore thumb. Both police and security know exactly which vehicles belong, and which vehicles don't. Trucks are the exception to this rule, because if they pull in after a warehouse is closed, they may have to wait until it reopens to unload.

Having been a truck driver for over 20 years, I can tell you that even as a truck driver, it is pretty typical to get questioned shortly after parking for the night in such areas unless you are a known driver. Once you prove you need to wait for somewhere close by to open, you will have a free pass for that night.

While there may be rare exceptions, this has been the norm for many years.

While I think it is generally a very poor choice of location, an obvious RV or camper van is slightly less likely to be hassled than a cargo van or a box truck without credentials. With a window van, or even a more obvious camper van or RV, it is fairly easy to park in many areas along with other vehicles, and go pretty much unnoticed.

Off Grid 24/7 said:
Usually commerrcial and industrial areas are pretty vacant at night, which makes any new vehicles stand out like a sore thumb.  Both police and security know exactly which vehicles belong, and which vehicles don't.  Trucks are the exception to this rule, because if they pull in after a warehouse is closed, they may have to wait until it reopens to unload.

While I think it is generally a very poor choice of location, an obvious RV or camper van is slightly less likely to be hassled than a cargo van or a box truck without credentials.  With a window van, or even a more obvious camper van or RV, it is fairly easy to park in many areas along with other vehicles, and go pretty much unnoticed.

My experience of living for 6 years in a box van has been 100% the opposite of this.
Bob

a note, there was a article in our local paper today that said, "senate rejects sleeping in car bill". this was our state senate that said the CA state senate rejected a bill that would have made it state law that you could sleep in your car. by rejecting the law, cities/counties can make their own laws about sleeping in cars. I did a search so I could post a link in the same paper with the exact title of the article and it came up with nothing. so take it with a grain of salt. highdesertranger

Numpty said:
After closing one of the homeless shelters in the Northern Territory, The homeless are being fined for being homeless whilst foreign tourist in vans aren't hassled at all.

http://www.ntnews.com.au/news/centr...camping-tourists/story-fnk4wgm8-1227359986078

Because tourist complaints in the news stops tourist dollar flow. And business who pay taxes will chop the head off any bureaucrat who messes with that.

No dollars to associate homeless. It's people not dollars. Would need a coalition of spiritual groups maybe to help the homeless put pressure on bureaucrats.

It is sad to say, but this is what has become of AMERICA, you either pay into the capitalist system, or you are ostracized from it! Basic survival functions, such as sleeping, or dumpster diving for food makes you a criminal. SAD WORLD INDEED!!!

And some choose not to sleep in shelters because they can be more dangerous than sleeping in public.

Was watching a discussion about PUBLIC DEFENDER on a John Oliver HBO show yesterday. Just wow. Don't be charged as a criminal because the legal system will tie you up in fines and bills, when you can not afford to defend yourself. --- thinking about vagrancy laws and getting caught in a crappy system. Florida is really bad about treating the poor like they are criminals.

I truly consider supporting the southern poverty law organization. Just to help folks defend themselves against corrupt rich lawyers and judges who just want to win, and never want to do what is right.

You would think the old BOSS HOG and the mythology of a corrupt JUDGE-SHERIFF-LAWYER would be a thing of the past. Not so it seems

Homelessness is a complex problem. On one hand everyone should be safe to sleep anywhere they like, on the other you don't want to live in a city that attracts all the homeless from throughout the state. Santa Cruz Ca had a policy on not hassling the homeless. Before long, there were hundreds living on the streets downtown. Not very good for the local businesses.
In San Francisco there was a Church that did free meals every day for the homeless. The neighborhood became a mess. Those waiting for their next meal didn't go very far. Drug needles could be found on the sidewalks everywhere, (along with other disgusting stuff).

I offer no solutions, just an observation. If it appears as though you have some sort of income, (nice vehicle, clothes etc.), I am certain that you get hassled at a lower rate than someone with a beater vehicle, ( blue poly tarp roof, broken windows, dents etc.). First impressions do matter.

DannyB1954 said:
I offer no solutions, just an observation. If it appears as though you have some sort of income, (nice vehicle, clothes etc.), I am certain that you get hassled at a lower rate than someone with a beater vehicle, ( blue poly tarp roof, broken windows, dents etc.). First impressions do matter.

Once when someone called the cops on me because they saw my vehicle sitting in one spot all day (I was working inside), the officer who responded took no interest in me and let slip his reasoning with one line "...you're clean shaven, neat..." that first glance told him that because I was presentable, I wasn't just some social dreg to excise!

Yes, first impressions matter.

I seen a post on Youtube. He said that he learned that the Japanese had an expression that the nail that sticks out is the one that gets hammered.
Best not to be the nail that sticks out.

That would work in Detroit. They have many empty homes owned by the city for back taxes.
Maybe even give them a grant to improve the house, (paint, lawn care, etc). I bet the neighborhoods would improve.