Ultravan

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Johnny Utah

Reaction score
Wow, came across this beast recently.

llFaVFv.jpg

toU2I63.jpg

but the view has got to be amazing! (sorry, I can't make the pics smaller)

5vsXHZ3.jpg

Corvair pancake six, some were supercharged, rear engined and lots of inovative design.

Corky

The free download display program "IrfanView" can be your friend. Free, very easy and user friendly, allows quick resizing for website use. Then we can enjoy the pics too. :cool:

I always loved the Corvair series cars and vans, and only discovered the RVs recently. That idiot Nader really gave the Corvair a very undeserved rap!

Reminds me of the weinermobile. Rounded, bubbles, 60s vibe.

Hello Everyone,

Marie and I like the Ultravan very much. We like them so much that we have high hopes of having a small Ultravan museum some day. Fingers crossed hopefully sooner than later. :D

BTW - There were 374-5 Ultravans made. The Corvair engines was in 320 of them, but none of them were supercharged. They made roughly 49 Chevy V8's Ultravans and then you have the side mounted V8's too along with one odd bal which was hte very last Ultravan made and it was #700. I'm guessing (I tihnk) 4 coaches were converted to the Olds Toronado FWD 455 setup. We have one of those too.

For more information on the Ultravan go to the link below.
http://www.corvair.org/chapters/ultravan/

Attached are pictures of our Ultravans and hopefully they will post in order we purchased them.

UV248 with the 62 Corvair Convertible was purchased in 2008
UV248 Heading to its New Home.jpg
UV256 was also purchased in 2008. It sat for 28 years with a locked up engine. I got this one on the road within one year.
UV256 at Lowe's.jpg
UV362 in the back of the trialer and it was purchased in 2012 and UV512 on the front of the trailer was donated to us by the grandson os the owner.
362 and 512 at Lowe's Parking Lot - Small.jpg
UV520 I purchased in 2013. It sat for many years not being used. I towed this one home myself. This picture was taken July 21, 2013 when I arrived home. By July 4th this year I had the mechanical work all done and back on the road. I still hav eto deal with an over-heating problem.
UV520 at its new home.JPG

I hope you enjoy.
Sincerely,

Attachments

• UV248 Heading to its New Home.jpg
    UV248 Heading to its New Home.jpg
    97.8 KB
  • UV256 at Lowe's.jpg
    UV256 at Lowe's.jpg
    93.1 KB
  • 362 and 512 at Lowe's Parking Lot - Small.jpg
    362 and 512 at Lowe's Parking Lot - Small.jpg
    45.9 KB
  • UV520 at its new home.JPG
    UV520 at its new home.JPG
    92.5 KB
Sweet!

Any idea how many of them still exist?

Other than Nader telling me that if I touched one I'd die I know nothing abut Corvairs. Was the engine any good? Was it a 4 cylinder?
Bob

Those things are funky, in a cool way! I imagine you gotta be pretty patient getting down the road with Corvair power.

Thx. For sharing.

I like 'em!!

Kinda reminds me of a Cortez, which is another low bodied RV from the 60's. It too has a strong cult-like following.

(of course, I dig anything odd, that has a good design!!) :D

LeeRevell said:
What kind of towing capability? Be extremely cool to have a Corvair car as a toad! ;-)

No Toad.
The Ultravan was designed to be your vehicle when away from home.
They are easy to park and get better MPG than other RVs.
They can tow a small trailer but that is it.

I saw an Ultra Van a few weeks ago on a flat bed truck headed north on I-91 in VA. I expect it will be restored and hopefully hit the road again. I love those things.

On the same drive back to Little Rock from NJ, I spotted a Vixen with the folding roof while going through TN the next day. It pulled off at a truck stop. If I had time, I would have pulled off, too, and hopefully had a tour.

It was amazing to see two of some of the rarest classic RVs in two days. I might not ever see another one of these again.