Two wheels and four wheels

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
wayne49 said:
"Secret" Camp Bouse.
Built to test using an arc light to blind an enemy at night. They had to build this place then actually do exercises just to discover that the arc light provided targeting information to the enemy.
Yeah, even a six year old kid would have reasoned that any tank with an arc light strobe on it would be a perfect target for opposing forces. However, the Army keep those soldiers (male and female WAC nurses) basically locked up there in complete isolation for something like 18 months because the project was so "secret". Really cool to see the rock outlines of their unit patches still there after all this time. Bored soldiers always find something to do...... Before you go, make a stop at the Bouse Visitor's Center where they have the only mock-up in existence of the "Secret Light" also known as the Canal Defense Light. The camp was interesting but the dirt road out and back was a great motorcycle ride!

The attached picture of a M-3 Medium tank with the CDL light mounted is from WiKi. Notice how those tricky GIs put a fake cannon barrel on the turret to try to disguise the "gadget".

Attachments

• 220px-M3_Canal_Defense_Light.jpg
    220px-M3_Canal_Defense_Light.jpg
    12.2 KB · Views: 5
slow2da said:
Nice trailer. What size and brand are the tires?

Slow2da: They are 13" Coopers. Cost something around $25/ea. because I buy mine at the Tire Store vs. WalMart (who also can order this size) Trailer rides nicely @ 15 psi., no bouncing. Tires usually last something like 10,000 miles. Man, you really did miss out on a nice CL trailer! Wish I could find another "TUFF" but since they stopped production in the early 80's.............

The best feature of this "TUFF" is two ratchet straps and the ramp is all it takes to load/unload, 3 minutes tops. This makes it very easy to pull off the road, unload the bike to explore a dirt trail vs. just driving by wondering where that road goes........

Happy Trails!
Chuck

highdesertranger said:
I also find it easier for a dog to ride along on a 4wheeler.  I need to dig up some pics.  highdesertranger
Like to see the pics.  Cool beans.. HoboJoe