Two wheels and four wheels

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
"I used 6 600lb tie down straps. 4 under the cover and 2 over cover attached to roof + carrier."

The four under the cover, which points on the moto do you use to secure to the hitch carrier?

The two between roof and carrier are for stability of the carrier from driver's side to passenger side?

I looked back through your threads first. You have images of the moto on the carrier under the cover, and of the moto on the ground. 

Thanks.

highdesertranger said:
.....the places I frequent in AZ,  NV,  OR,  and even CA allow you to drive on the paved roads to get into and out of town.

Which machine do you have and what is the top speed?

^
Only 5 mph slower than my little dual-sport. I guess as long as you don't have to travel fast/busy highways you're OK.

Hauling that much weight + a trailer would be pretty iffy for my old van but I may just have to give it a try.

^
Have you owned any quads that were lighter than the Suzuki?

I guess a 250 would still weigh quite a bit. That's probably the min. engine size I'd need.

the 2 wheel drives are much lighter. mine weighs 600 pounds. I believe the 250 two wheel drives are about half that weight. although they call mine a 300 King Quad the engine size is 280cc, the weight comes from the 4x4. highdesertranger

My cheap and simple chain drive/2 wheel drive 250 weighs about 360 lbs.

So with 2WD are you limited much riding trails/exploring?

the biggest difference that I notice is with a 2WD is you use speed to overcome obstacles, just like with a car. with a 4x4 you can putt right through most things. some 2WD's have a super low first gear which helps tremendously. highdesertranger

I'll have to admit that when riding trails on my bike I do think of how bad it will hurt if I faceplant. I'm cheap and just have a helmet and some old catcher's shin guards I bought at Goodwill.

hugemoth said:
My cheap and simple chain drive/2 wheel drive 250 weighs about 360 lbs.

So what's the total weight you're towing with the trailer and the CT?

I estimate 1200 to 1500 lbs total depending on what I have in the storage box on the trailer. The old Toyota pickup with camper tows it just fine.

Quad 360 lbs
CT 170 lbs
Trailer 600 lbs
Storage box with gas jugs, tools, etc., 100 lbs.

2 or 4 wheels? don't leave me out I have 3 wheels. Not a Harley but a Schwinn. - hoping to ad an electric motor to it soon. No problem carrying that weight.?

wayne49 said:
"I used 6 600lb tie down straps. 4 under the cover and 2 over cover attached to roof + carrier."

The four under the cover, which points on the moto do you use to secure to the hitch carrier?

The two between roof and carrier are for stability of the carrier from driver's side to passenger side?

I looked back through your threads first. You have images of the moto on the carrier under the cover, and of the moto on the ground. 

Thanks.
Moto straps. Front- over bottom triple clamp around forks. Rear- Rear foot pegs or onto frame.

Other two serve dual purpose.
Unload some weight from the tongue and to keep bike from wanting to swing backwards.
It will also help keep the rack from rocking side to side but my external width extension bars from the frame took care of most of that.
Your welcome. :thumbsup:

With the sway and rock on the rack, found that this would load and unload the straps, sometimes allowing them to back off from their tension settings becoming loose. That's why the extra two over the top for extra coverage. As well as requiring more trouble to undo and steal.

Minivanmotoman said:
Moto straps. Front- over bottom triple clamp around forks. Rear- Rear foot pegs or onto frame.

Could you point to your thread that shows this? I can't seem to find it with Search.

KJ1H said:
I've mentioned elsewhere that part of my van plan is to bring my Kawasaki KLR650 with me in my travels. I can use the van as my home base and use the bike to explore the general area once I'm there. I call it "moto-glamping."  :D

Who else out there brings a bike along for the ride? Any concerns locking it up at night? How do you deal with carving out precious space in your van for all the riding gear you (hopefully) wear?
KJ1H:
         I use a Suzuki DR650 towed on a very small trailer behind a Dodge B350 van. Been driving this setup for the last five years and IMHO is absolutely the perfect way to travel/explore. I can park the van in a nice spot, ride all day and return to "home" with hot shower and chow, not to mention sleeping off the ground in a "steel tent" beats sleeping on the cold ground any day. Yep, the camper has me soft and spoiled!
        My riding gear takes up some room in the van but is doable. Really, it's only a helmet and protective jacket/pants, plus the soft saddlebags and bike tools/parts. I use combat boots to hike/ride in. Theft is of little concern (since it's not a Harley, just a ratty "dirt bike") but I do use a cable lock to lock the bike and trailer to the van when I'm not physically around. Never had a problem in over five years, and I stay in a variety of places from very remote to San Francisco.
        The bike serves as a support vehicle for the camper to get water/food, so once parked; the van never has to move. The advantage of a small trailer is the ease of 3 minute loading/unloading. It takes only two ratchet straps to secure the bike to the trailer. That IS a big deal since you tend to explore those interesting dirt roads to nowhere more frequently when the bike only takes a few minutes to unload. If it is a "hassle" (like an enclosed trailer), you will find that you won't ride as much and will  probably reserve riding for "once camped" rather than "anytime whilst traveling". A BIG difference in my opinion! I've tried the hitch rack thing and it didn't work for me. Too much swaying and bouncing of the bike, especially along dirt roads. I'll give you mine but you'll have to come to Arkansas to get it. No option to get the bike inside my Class B so.....trailer it is. Yep, the bike/trailer adds 8' to my rig's total length but that has never been a problem. I can still "squeeze" into a single parking space with only a few feet of the bike trailer sticking out. Besides recreation, the big unseen bonus is; if your camper ever breaks down, you have a spare vehicle to run for parts, help etc. You aren't stranded and can "self rescue". The only downside I've experienced is the inability to back up with this particular trailer. You'll notice on the photos that the tongue is almost nonexistent. Back up a foot or two and the trailer jackknives. I am getting a tad better and sometimes I can even back up a few feet to avoid the "turn around". Ya gets used to it.
      Bottom line is: A moto is a great companion to a camper to use as a service vehicle/recreation/spare vehicle in case the camper breaks/transportation in built up areas etc. Make sure it's street legal and has license plates so you won't have any hassles riding in (any) town. Try riding a 4-wheeler in San Fransisco and see what happens.... It will make a few months stay in Quartzsite or Ehrenberg absolute paradise! Don't forget the awesome 23 miles of dirt to the old secret Army base at Bouse.........
        Not mentioned but VERY important: Motorcycles are just more FUN to ride than a 4-wheeler! :thumbsup:

By the way, great choice with the KLR! Reliable as a hammer, but you already know that.

PS: Found a cool kid's matchbox car at the old Skoolie palooza site at Ehrenberg, would like to get it back into the kid's hands. Describe the car and I'll mail it right out to the owner.

Motorcycle Safety Instructor/Paramedic rant mode :ON
To all the 4-wheelers out there who don't think you need protective gear:
       I've been a rural paramedic for 30+ years and have personally seen many tragic accidents because the rider thought their 4-wheeler was "safer" than 2 so didn't wear any protection. People, please, if you ride a 2 OR 4 wheeler.....wear the gear! All of us riders have ZERO protection when we get thrown from the machine to the hard ground. Don't learn the hard way....
     Just think for a minute what would happen to your beloved pet when it gets thrown off....Ambulance folks usually will not treat your pet, you watch it suffer......
      Accidents are called accidents because we didn't expect them to happen. Just because you've done it 100 times does not mean #101 will end well.
Motorcycle Safety Instructor/Paramedic rant mode :OFF

"Life is tough. It's tougher when your stupid." John Wayne as Sgt. Stryker in "The Sands Of Iwo Jima"

Chuck Q
refitting in Arkansas

Attachments

• Bike trailer side view.jpg
    Bike trailer side view.jpg
    476.3 KB · Views: 7
  • Motorcycle trailer sticker.jpg
    Motorcycle trailer sticker.jpg
    305.6 KB · Views: 4
^
Nice trailer. What size and brand are the tires?

I missed out on something similar that was on CL last year:

Kendon.jpg

Attachments

• Kendon.jpg
    Kendon.jpg
    362.9 KB · Views: 7
"Secret" Camp Bouse.
Built to test using an arc light to blind an enemy at night. They had to build this place then actually do exercises just to discover that the arc light provided targeting information to the enemy.