TV; do you need it (or want it)?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I took a little t.v. with me when I left in my van. I never used it, so I dug it out and gave it to her on a recent visit. No regrets. I sometimes watch a dvd or rent an Amazon movie, though that's very rare. I read, explore, put together puzzles (yes, it's possible if you have a t.v. tray), write, edit...and it seems that my hobby now is reconfiguring things in the van. I have reworked everything about four times now.

I love TV in the evening....
Local news is the best place to get the weather and find out the local happening's in the area...
Arizona has wonderful PBS...Here 'East of Winslow, AZ' you can pick up 27 stations from Flagstaff with a good antenna.....back to back episodes of 'Walking Dead' every Tuesday night starting at 7pm...

Sameer said:
I love TV in the evening....
Local news is the best place to get the weather and find out the local happening's in the area...
Arizona has wonderful PBS...Here 'East of Winslow, AZ' you can pick up 27 stations from Flagstaff with a good antenna.....back to back episodes of 'Walking Dead' every Tuesday night starting at 7pm...

Good point about PBS, I can get that with my antennae so I do enjoy watching the BBC and documentaries.

I guess I'm the exception here.  There are several tv shows I watch regularly - usually works out to one a day on average.

Currently watching NCIS (the original, not the spin-offs), Elementary, Hawaii 5-0, and Arrow.

Used to watch a number of shows on satellite - Leverage, White Collar, The Glades, Eureka, Burn Notice, and Rizzoli and Isles.

I have most of these on DVDs to take with me, as well as complete sets of Buffy, Angel, Stargate SG1, Starrgate Atlantis, and The West Wing.

What can I say?

I have a TV stashed away that I drag out on the rare occasion I have hookups & cable but soon after turning it on I realized that, regardless of the staggering number of channels, there's never anything worth watching.

Optimistic Paranoid said:
I guess I'm the exception here.  There are several tv shows I watch regularly - usually works out to one a day on average.

Currently watching NCIS (the original, not the spin-offs), Elementary, Hawaii 5-0, and Arrow.

Used to watch a number of shows on satellite - Leverage, White Collar, The Glades, Eureka, Burn Notice, and Rizzoli and Isles.

I have most of these on DVDs to take with me, as well as complete sets of Buffy, Angel, Stargate SG1, Starrgate Atlantis, and The West Wing.

What can I say?

We always travel with full sets of Buffy, Angel, Witchblade, and Dark Angel.  Good stuff!

SternWake said:
Right now am watching the local news's radar at the oncoming rain.

At my current spot, I get a minimum of 15 to 20 english speaking, non religious stations with just this:

31GA0itodkL.jpg

One on my solar panel, on on my van body and an A-B switch to choose which one likes a station better.  Has to be outside though, no reception inside the van.

Been enjoying PBS stations out of LA.

I have a larger antenna I no longer bother with, but its reception is awesome, can get anything there is available to watch.

But I have had a curse fit or two when the signal strength drops out during a good program.

Where did you get the plugin antenna from? Whats it called?

Queen said:
We always travel with full sets of Buffy, Angel, Witchblade, and Dark Angel.  Good stuff!

I remember Witchblade, although I don't remember being all that impressed by it.  Dark Angel was great, I have both seasons in my collection.

Gold Rush and Artic Sea Gold. go figure. other than that not much. highdesertranger

About 3 yrs. ago 2 things happened simutainiously  [ around the same time]..... would you beleive I used to win speeling bees'?    :p  My cable was going up in price to be more $$$ per mo than either my phone or my elec. service & I found that my daily doings depended on what was on the T.V.   So I 'hit canned the TV service.   I check out dvds at the library and I've seen the new Mad Max, Furious Seven and Terminator at least 3-5 times each, I also have between 300 to 500 dvds.   Most bought at the local pawn shop for $1....I have to really like a movie to buy it at wal mart and then never pay over $15 at the most.  I also trade and sell the dvds I decide not to keep.  I know there is a way to put movies on my computer I just haven't progressed to that level.  This mini laptop is my first computer and I have had it and internet since last Christmas which is my anniversary date on CRVL so you guys are part of my Christmas Present!   :D  

I would like to know what portable DVD player uses the least amount of elec.  I'll start a thread on that so I don't get my pic on a wanted poster for Hijacking!    :rolleyes:           Jewellann & Queenie

speedhighway46 said:
The full-timing, van dwelling, "simplify life" way of living provides freedom and potential fullness of life if that's what makes you content. 

How about some of the pleasures of life the majority of people in sticks and bricks build their life around . . . one of the primary being TV.

So how important is "TV" to most of you? Direct TV; DVDs purchased or borrowed from the library; streaming; Net Flicks; etc, etc, etc. All sources of entertainment.

How's TV fit into your lifestyle?

Our RV is our home. I want all the pleasures of home. TV is an important source of entertainment. It becomes even more so when one does not have the old activities of yard work or home maintenance or work or caring for a family, especially if one is rained in for a couple days.

I dont own a TV, never have. I watch a few movies a year that a friend downloads for me... otherwise not much for the flickering box.

I read a lot...books, online stuff.

Sent from my Z850 using Tapatalk

I've got about 400 gigabytes of movies on my external hard drive expecting I'd watching a lot of tv at night. I've been moved in for a week now and only watched one movie. That may change once I'm in Colorado and have rainy days, but I expected at least a movie a day.

May not end up getting dish after all

Oopslala said:
I've got about 400 gigabytes of movies on my external hard drive expecting I'd watching a lot of tv at night. I've been moved in for a week now and only watched one movie. That may change once I'm in Colorado and have rainy days, but I expected at least a movie a day.

May not end up getting dish after all
You might well find yourself with other hobbies! *smile*

Sent from my Z850 using Tapatalk

In a pinch, computer games can be a lot more entertaining than TV. I like books. Having a Kindle has made nonstop reading accessible at my fingertips. Literally.

mockturtle said:
In a pinch, computer games can be a lot more entertaining than TV.  I like books.  Having a Kindle has made nonstop reading accessible at my fingertips.  Literally.

Being a librarian, I'm a huge fan of paper volumes, but our little condo is overrun with books so I may just have to consider a kindle.

As an avid motorhead and total addict to Formula 1 racing I will be 'forced' to equip my rig with the DISH Tailgater (or similar) set up.
Motorsports are currently split up amongst several cable channels, so I'll probably have to get one of the 'expensive' tiers to get the channels I need.
NBCSN, CNBC, Fox Sports 1 and 2, The various ESPN channels, MAV TV, beIN Sports, and CBSSN.

I'm also big on the 'vintage' TV shows of my youth....lots of black & white.

Hopefully I'll come to a happy 'balance' between nature and TV once on the road....but I see no need to not have it with me.

:cool:

Queen said:
Being a librarian, I'm a huge fan of paper volumes, but our little condo is overrun with books so I may just have to consider a kindle.

I have a basic Nook and a Kindle app on my tablet. It is convenient and space efficient. But I try to hit the sales or used book stores for things, like murder mysteries, that I am only going to read once. That way, I can share.