TV; do you need it (or want it)?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

speedhighway46

Reaction score
The full-timing, van dwelling, "simplify life" way of living provides freedom and potential fullness of life if that's what makes you content. 

How about some of the pleasures of life the majority of people in sticks and bricks build their life around . . . one of the primary being TV.

So how important is "TV" to most of you? Direct TV; DVDs purchased or borrowed from the library; streaming; Net Flicks; etc, etc, etc. All sources of entertainment.

How's TV fit into your lifestyle?

No TV service desired. I didn't have it when I lived in a residence either. Always Netflix/download anything I want to watch. I do the same thing on the road. And I don't watch commercials.

Netflix and DVDs from the library, yes!

The only times I'm seeking TV access is during the Olympics or for breaking news. Generally that can be addressed by hanging around with friends. I grew up without a TV and the only times we ever felt the need for one was Olympics, 9/11, and the 2001 Nisqually earthquake. Something about visually seeing breaking news is grounding to me.

I can live without Netflix and DVDs, but not comfortably. It the simplest way for me to switch my brain to relaxation after a long day.

My girlfriend and I did away with TV and cable a few years ago and haven't looked back. We do watch netflix from time to time on the laptop though.

I don't watch TV and my mental health is much better for it.

I thought it would be something I would miss terribly but so far I've been too busy to miss it at all!

I may feel differently when I get back to home base for my six months and have no touristy things to do - one can only be a beach bum during daylight hours... :D :D

We like having TV as a source of entertainment but it's just whatever comes over the air with our RV antenna. We don't watch a lot because so much of it is stupid. :-D We also have a bunch of DVDs, some favorites that we watch more than once, some bought cheap to give away or trade after we've watched them. No netflix because of the amount of data that uses.

We're still in our condo but we ditched cable years ago, don't have netflix or anything like that, we watch some dvds we own or I get them from the library. We enjoy watching a show without any commercials so can't ever imagine paying for tv again.

As a "Sticks&Bricks" person using his vans for camping and roadtrips, I gave up mainstream TV back when they screwed the pooch going digital.  I already was going to disconnect due to lack of quality programming, but the lack of signal quality due to low signal strength and pixelating/freezing hastened it.
I do a bit of watching via Netflix and Hulu.  I do not watch enough to be willing to pay cable or satellite costs.
Haven't tried Redbox yet, but have been using purchased and gifted DVDs.

I got rid of cable about two years ago and don't miss it at all. I do watch Netflix and my dvd's so I'll probably continue with that once I become a van dweller. I don't watch much tv but I do watch the news. I'm hoping once I hit the road I'll be too busy to care about it. But I'll still have my Netflix account and dvd's in my van, even if it's just on my laptop.

Cheli said:
I got rid of cable about two years ago and don't miss it at all.  I do watch Netflix and my dvd's so I'll probably continue with that once I become a van dweller.  I don't watch much tv but I do watch the news.  I'm hoping once I hit the road I'll be too busy to care about it.  But I'll still have my Netflix account and dvd's in my van, even if it's just on my laptop.

I gave up watching any news, and not reading about it online, life is so much better now.  It's nothing but fear mongering and carefully crafted divisiveness, never again!

I rarely watch here at the house but honey does. Up in the woods when it storms every afternoon for a few weeks, it can be a good thing in limited amounts. I prefer to read, listen to games or books, run the forums and occasionally a movie.

Most of the TV is mind numbing drivel. The news is depressing and there is more commercial time than programming. It doesn't take long before I look at Redbox, Crackle and Netflix as boring. Either I saw the movies I was interested when they came out or I am still not interested. I dislike watching reruns just to have something to watch.

My wife and I have a gaiaTV, and YouTube Red subscriptions. I'm pondering testing out the "CuriosityStream" channel. If we want a newer movie we rent from Red Box. None of them is anything but random events. We don't watch much of anything but lean towards documentaries and similar.
And when we are in the van on a ~week long adventure we will watch a movie on the tablet _maybe_ once or twice.
For digital entertainment I will edit photos, maybe develop a musical idea, or read on the iPad. Also read on the Kindle PW (wife has one of both also).

Thom

I personally find the documentaries on Netflix rather enlightening. When my very conservative parents told me they were planning to provide housing for ex-prostitutes, I was hesitant. But then I listened to the concept that adult women can be trafficked without literal capture, and there are entire schemes set up to manipulate them into it and then keep them there with a combination of economics, manipulation, and violence. I didn't really get it until I stumbled upon the documentary "Tricked" on Netflix, sharing multiple womens' stories and outlining the intentional plot to unwillingly trap them in the life.

I didn't fully develop the idea and the courage to publically post asking friends and acquaintances for odd jobs until I saw the documentary on Netflix on living by a dollar/day. In this documentary, it showed how villagers came up with community solutions, such as a group of people agreeing to all contribute a fixed amount of their income, and one group member drawn at random would receive it all in a lump sum, and so it continued each week until everyone in the group had received their money back. I realized that if communities help each other when they're all in poverty, wouldn't it be acceptable for me to ask about mutually beneficial arrangements when the others are experiencing a time of plenty? Sure, it felt undignifying to ask, but it feels more undignifying to not be earning my way in society. So I crafted a writing and put it up there. I got 5 leads in the first week, 3 of which were panning out. Then the accident happened and everything had to come off the table for a while.

One more example: I also like to watch shows that pertain to behavioral analysis, e.g. Criminal Minds and Lie to Me. I've found these have a fair bit of application in the real world.

It's interesting to me how people feel the need to proactively defend how much they watch, or put down the notion altogether. I can go weeks at a time without it occurring to me to watch anything, but I can also go weeks at a time watching an episode or two nearly every evening. It completely depends on what's going on with my life, and I personally feel that both options are completely valid, one not being any "worse" or "better" than the other.

I love TV!! I've had Sattelite Direct TV for over 3 years now and haven't got a single regret--except wish I'd done it earlier.

However, I just don't have time for it! It's on hold now while I travel for the summer, when I get back into the trailer in November I'll cancel it. Just no time!
Bob

Right now am watching the local news's radar at the oncoming rain.

At my current spot, I get a minimum of 15 to 20 english speaking, non religious stations with just this:

31GA0itodkL.jpg

One on my solar panel, on on my van body and an A-B switch to choose which one likes a station better. Has to be outside though, no reception inside the van.

Been enjoying PBS stations out of LA.

I have a larger antenna I no longer bother with, but its reception is awesome, can get anything there is available to watch.

But I have had a curse fit or two when the signal strength drops out during a good program.

When we're on the road we don't miss tv at all. We only go on 3 week trips. I'm sure I would miss it if we were F/T.

Because of mental limitations, I can't do much socializing. I'm housebound most of the time. So to turn that lemon into lemonade I started knitting for charity. To occupy my mind while knitting I listen to audio books or watch A LOT of Hulu and Netflix. It's at a point now that I know I'm using knitting as an excuse to watch. It's addicting people :p !

BTW Bob, thanks for this forum where I can do most of my socializing. :)

Nicole

We have a 7 inch portable rechargeable digital TV that we have used while in low power mode. They get a amazing picture.