Trying to get to the RTR from Manitoba Canada

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LOVEMYRV!

Reaction score
Hello everyone 
I am new to this group.  I am now a full timer in a class c.  I got delayed in leaving for Arizona and now its wintery and I'm somewhat scared .. which is unlike me as I'm usually fearless when rv ing.  I consider myself fairly experienced although not in the USA and never driven in winter.  I have my rig ready but I haven't left yet and almost chickening out which is NOT what I want to do. I need to get out of here for my emotional health.  
I just watched Bob's latest video which has helped and if anyine else has any experience to share about winter motorhome driving or of Arizona .. that could help motivate me and get me unafraid I would appreciate it.
It would be super if someone else from my neck of the Woods on either side of the border would caravan with me.

Welcome LovemyRV to the CRVL forums! To help you learn the ins and outs of these forums, this "Tips & Tricks" post lists some helpful information to get you started. We look forward to hearing more from you. highdesertranger

The only thing I can suggest at this time of year is to go as due south as you can before  you turn westward. The further south you are the better the  weather.

Stay on the interstates until you're out of snow country. Be prepared to lay over if the roads are not clear, keep an eye on the weather forecast for where you're headed. Always keep at least a half tank of gas in the tank. Make sure you have a full tank of propane on board for the furnace. Don't leave in the morning from where you are until rush hour is over and the snow plows have done their work. Take a map and colour code it with all the WalMarts, truck stops and other places like Cabellas that you can stop at if you have to. Use Allstays.com for W/Ms and get a printed copy of Flying J/Pilot RV book which shows all their locations and which ones have big enough parking lots for you to overnight in.

Don't be afraid to get off at the next exit and find shelter if the roads or the weather aren't good.

I got stuck in Nashville for 2 days coming back north in January because of a snowstorm to the north of me. It's no fun but better than being out on the roads  with a bazillion other drivers who  may or may not know how to drive in the ice/snow!

The RTR isn't until January, you could do less than 3 hours a day of driving and still make it in time... :)

Hi again!  You are NOT alone!  Lots of us are waiting for all kinds of reasons to finally get out on the road.

I'm in the snow belt too, just south of you.  Again, LOTS are heading out at different intervals during this season.  Hang in there!!! :heart:

(check your PM box)

Thank you very much for the good advice
You are right I am in no rush so that helps.
Packing up and getting ready .. yikes ...

Hi
Thank you for your reslonse
I'm a bit of a spaz on this site .. just have my phone with small screen which can be a challenge
I wish I had some people to caravan woth but oh well I'll go it alone.. got to do this

can you read the Private message I sent?  (there's still good opportunity to caravan with peoples!!!)

Keep checking the forecasts and road condition reports. Most state departments of transportation have websites showing the status of their highways.

Fly me there and help drive ya down here! I can wave at family just across the border! :) "Google traffic" will give you heads up for any traffic snarls with detours needed.

Now is the time to get going! Yes, you're not in a hurry. Longer you wait...well, anything can happen.

Read about the 511 systems: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/5-1-1

I like this weather site, breaks things down by county within each state (weather underground): https://www.wunderground.com/severe.asp

Check in on how you're doing. :) You got this!

What everybody said! But particularly the part about due south and interstates! And as Almost There said, you have time, and can pull off as need be. Take it easy, but put leaving on your agenda, if you can, in the near future! See you at the rtr!!

By the way, I'm just getting ready to leave Maine, myself, so understand your weather concerns! Drive safe, and take it easy.

Looks like you got some really great advice. Just wanted to say hi from a like-minded Canadian gal. I'm a year or two out from the mobile life still but hope to join everyone at RTR one day!

Just a suggestion, this was posted in the 'Newcomers' group and you're not that new!    :D
(some people pass over this section)

If you can, open this topic onto another area like Women's area with the same info like you did here.

"Caravan: Manitoba to AZ ?"  or anything along those lines, more specific if you want.  I know u can do it!

Truckers do it everyday. So can you. Go slow, watch weather forecasts, head south ASAP, Tap your brakes occasionally to test road conditions, follow warm sunny days, check local RV clubs/Craig's for other snowbirds heading down, etc... There are often good weather windows for travel. You only need approx 2-3 days before reaching warm weather country. Every mile south gets you closer to warmer and sunnier.

I share your concerns.
Im coming from Quebec, cant leave for another month and in a minivan.
We can do this!!
Slow and easy.
See you there.