Trying to choose a gasket material

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BradKW

Reaction score
I've installed the batteries in the floor and I need to make a lid that's as close to airtight as is reasonable. I have a couple flush set, compression latches like you'd see on a boat locker, and they pull the lid down about 1/8" ...thinking I won't use a hinge since that creates an uneven pinching of any gasket.

I've been Googling gaskets and see a number of options...seems like door weather strip won't really give the seal I'm looking for, and fridge replacement gaskets are maybe a good choice. Can't say I've ever had a reason to ponder gasket properties and choices before, so wide open to suggestions...

[img=275x375]http://i465.photobucket.com/albums/...ads/IMG_20161211_160559_zpsbctoglkz.jpg[/img]

Look at McMaster carr under weatherstripping. Lots of product /material options.

I went with a roll of black foam stuff ,,, it was great for about a year but over time the weight of the Lids squashed them , i'm gonna go with a rubber this time.

Attachments

• 20161213_191820-2448x1836.jpg
    20161213_191820-2448x1836.jpg
    893.4 KB · Views: 19
Tried shopping the pre-made lids first but gave up on account of no standard sizes fit my needs...

Just ordered some 3/4" x 1/2" closed cell neoprene rubber strip from the McMaster link...should do the trick

You can make a gasket from silicone sealant. lay it in heavy, then put a coat of toilet paper over it and drop the lid on top, wait a couple of hours for it to set. you can also oil the lid so that it will not stick.

I found an old tractor tire inner tube.  I was able to cut enough off of that to line various electrical boxes with.

The closed-cell foam you got should do it. That was going to be my suggestion.

DannyB1954 said:
You can make a gasket from silicone sealant. lay it in heavy, then put a coat of toilet paper over it and drop the lid on top, wait a couple of hours for it to set. you can also oil the lid so that it will not stick.

For one-time use, silicone is a great gasket material and not hard to use. For something that gets opened and closed regularly, I would hesitate.

BlackNBlue said:
The closed-cell foam you got should do it. That was going to be my suggestion.

For one-time use, silicone is a great gasket material and not hard to use. For something that gets opened and closed regularly, I would hesitate.

We used to use it to patch the door gaskets on shipping container doors. The purpose of laying toilet paper over the silicone was to keep the silicone from sticking to the door. some would also then spray the TP with water, others would spray the door with oil as well.